Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 10:40 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,966,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
1a- Not really.

1b- Not really.

Ottawa is completely flat and annual snowfall is only 224 cm/88 inches. Snow tires matter and if the OP lived on the Quebec side of the river rather than the Ontario side of the river, they'd have snow tires since they're required by law. Ottawa has this thing called snow plows. It's unlikely the OP would often encounter snow deep enough or a hill steep enough where AWD would be much benefit.

On ice, it's braking and cornering that matter. AWD really isn't much help. It's all about the tires.

the point was comparing both, so you're wrong on both accounts. Comparing an AWD to FWD in inclement weather and good driver, both with the same tires....the AWD will be better. There's no debating that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2017, 10:59 AM

9,368 posts, read 6,967,418 times
I was interested in the Cx5 and CX9 until I saw the AWD reviews on youtube and the mazda forums. The mazdas had some serious issues with traction control in off-roading and snow environments where one tire was slightly off the ground.

I'd research around a bit but most people review the subie, Audi, and Honda/Acura SH-AWD as better options.

Old 12-12-2017, 11:08 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
I was interested in the Cx5 and CX9 until I saw the AWD reviews on youtube and the mazda forums. The mazdas had some serious issues with traction control in off-roading and snow environments where one tire was slightly off the ground.

I'd research around a bit but most people review the subie, Audi, and Honda/Acura SH-AWD as better options.
Okay, I totally read that to mean that you're buying me an Audi.

Seriously: Thanks for the AWD review info. Much appreciated.

Old 12-12-2017, 11:16 AM

9,971 posts, read 5,669,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Thank you.

I hadn't seen Geoff's edited post and the pictures so I'll add this:

I didn't ask for commentary. I asked very specific questions. I'm 5' tall, weigh 100 pounds, have M.S., and don't have a shovel. I didn't ask what anyone thought I could or couldn't -- or should or shouldn't -- do; I asked specific questions about two specific cars. End of story.

And for that reason too, Bitey gets another thank you.
I notice you responded to my post after I had edited it to add the video. If you ever needed a simple demonstration to convincingly show the benefits of AWD in low-traction situations, that video is the one. No extreme or contrived scenarios... just the same car in FWD mode and then AWD mode trying to claw up what looks like a maximum 5% grade on snow compacted down to ice.

If you need to be able to get out of your driveway without shoveling due to physical limitations... then AWD combined with winter tires --- NOT "all season" but true winter tires -- is definitely the way to go. Subaru + winter tires = this:

Old 12-12-2017, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
I notice you responded to my post after I had edited it to add the video. If you ever needed a simple demonstration to convincingly show the benefits of AWD in low-traction situations, that video is the one. No extreme or contrived scenarios... just the same car in FWD mode and then AWD mode trying to claw up what looks like a maximum 5% grade on snow compacted down to ice.

If you need to be able to get out of your driveway without shoveling due to physical limitations... then AWD combined with winter tires --- NOT "all season" but true winter tires -- is definitely the way to go. Subaru + winter tires = this:

OMG! Holy crap, Bitey! That's every flavor of awesome!!!

I'd never dream of driving in winter without winter tires, so I'm good to go on that. Now I just need a Subaru!

You should work for the company. You sold me.

Old 12-12-2017, 11:34 AM

9,368 posts, read 6,967,418 times
Here is one example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhacSO7uMys

I saw this posted in a mazda forum / subforum for CX9... Many of the posters were pissed as the engineers from Mazda responded with a shrug and that it was a known issue when they released the product. the cx5/cx9 share the same AWD architecture.

Offroading was a bit better but suffered on extreme incline and loose terrain (simulate snow + incline)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfCNpmAjF4I

Old 12-12-2017, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Here is one example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhacSO7uMys

I saw this posted in a mazda forum / subforum for CX9... Many of the posters were pissed as the engineers from Mazda responded with a shrug and that it was a known issue when they released the product. the cx5/cx9 share the same AWD architecture.

Offroading was a bit better but suffered on extreme incline and loose terrain (simulate snow + incline)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfCNpmAjF4I
My cousin has the CX-5 so I'll definitely clue him into that tidbit of info. thanks! I wonder if it's the same case for the CX-3, which is the model that I am/was considering. However, I feel like Bitey sold me on the Subaru. Unless you're buying me the Audi...

Old 12-12-2017, 12:07 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,101,008 times
Quote:
My cousin who lives around the corner from me has a CX-5. He's going to think that I'm a copycat.
I'm little -- I won't feel cramped in a CX-3.

Funny that you should mention the Kia. My cousin's wife has a Kia Soul. They're going to think that I never have a unique thought.

Thank you -- I'll check out the Sportage.
Based upon my own experience with Subaru (I own a 2013 Outback), I will definitely recommend the Subaru.

However, I also own a Volkswagen with the Haldex AWD system and it is very close to the Subaru's symmetrical AWD system and maybe even superior in some situations.

Based on my experience, I would suggest that you also do a little research into the VW Alltrack or Sportwagen 4Motion, which is a nice blend of the better qualities of both the Crosstrek and CX-3 in the same price range.

2017 VW Golf Alltrack All-Wheel Drive | Volkswagen

2017 VW Golf SportWagen 1.8T S 4MOTION® Trim Features | Volkswagen

Old 12-12-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Based upon my own experience with Subaru (I own a 2013 Outback), I will definitely recommend the Subaru.

However, I also own a Volkswagen with the Haldex AWD system and it is very close to the Subaru's symmetrical AWD system and maybe even superior in some situations.

Based on my experience, I would suggest that you also do a little research into the VW Alltrack or Sportwagen 4Motion, which is a nice blend of the better qualities of both the Crosstrek and CX-3 in the same price range.

2017 VW Golf Alltrack All-Wheel Drive | Volkswagen

2017 VW Golf SportWagen 1.8T S 4MOTION® Trim Features | Volkswagen
Thank you! Now that you made me look at VWs, I saw the Tiguan... I like it.

Old 12-12-2017, 12:30 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,101,008 times
Quote:
Thank you! Now that you made me look at VWs, I saw the Tiguan... I like it.
So did we.

That's why we ended up buying a 2018 Tiguan SEL Premium 4Motion.

Honestly, both my wife and I have found that even with only all-season tires it performs better on snow and ice than our Outback with winter tires while driving the same roads in the same conditions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive