Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 04:47 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,760,732 times

Advertisements

Those are two totally different types of vehicles in my opinion. I say 4Runner without a doubt. Not only does it have the 4wd capability, but they are reliable and have great styling. They also hold their value really well so in a few years if you decide to get rid of it you will make out a lot better with the Toyota vs the Subaru.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2017, 08:06 AM

1,097 posts, read 2,340,751 times
Unless you need to tow large loads frequently, I'd go with the Subaru hands down.

Better: Gas Mileage, Handling, Stability, Comfort

There is a very short list of places that you can (or actually have the need to) access with the 4 runner vs the Subaru.

Old 12-15-2017, 08:27 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,738,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rburnett View Post
Unless you need to tow large loads frequently, I'd go with the Subaru hands down.

Better: Gas Mileage, Handling, Stability, Comfort

There is a very short list of places that you can (or actually have the need to) access with the 4 runner vs the Subaru.
I would agree. I own and love both but day to day I put the most miles on the Outback. Just easier to live with in the real world.

Old 12-15-2017, 10:50 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,925,997 times
My brothers wife drives a 2017 Limited 4 Runner 4x4 while my youngest girl drives a 2017 Limited 2wd. Both are absolutely the worse POS I've ever ridden in. My 1974 F100 has fewer rattles and is quieter and rides better. It really make ya wonder what these folks are smoking that think these are a high quality vehicle. Bros 4 runner lives on the back end of a wrecker. Now the drivers window won't work. It's the window regulator. You can't hold a decent conversation in one at hiway speeds, the A/C is marginal at best and noisy, they eat gas like it was candy. Even my 2014 Supercrew gets better mileage than either of these. Conversely, I have a lady friend with a 2014 Subaru Forrester that is miles ahead of the 4 Runner in almost any comparison. It's reasonably quiet, rides nice, everything works like it should and no rattles. This is her 2nd 2014 Forrester as the first one was totaled with less than a 1000 miles on the clock. A guy ran a red light and T-boned her. She walked away from it completely unhurt. I don't see a comparison here. The Forrester is eons ahead of the 4 Runner.

Old 12-15-2017, 11:16 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
If you go with the 4Runner get a 2007 or newer, the 04-06 models had some issues with head gaskets and cylinder #6 misfire. The gaskets were improved sometime mid 06, same with the Tacoma.

Old 12-15-2017, 11:28 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,738,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
My brothers wife drives a 2017 Limited 4 Runner 4x4 while my youngest girl drives a 2017 Limited 2wd. Both are absolutely the worse POS I've ever ridden in. My 1974 F100 has fewer rattles and is quieter and rides better. It really make ya wonder what these folks are smoking that think these are a high quality vehicle. Bros 4 runner lives on the back end of a wrecker. Now the drivers window won't work. It's the window regulator. You can't hold a decent conversation in one at hiway speeds, the A/C is marginal at best and noisy, they eat gas like it was candy. Even my 2014 Supercrew gets better mileage than either of these. Conversely, I have a lady friend with a 2014 Subaru Forrester that is miles ahead of the 4 Runner in almost any comparison. It's reasonably quiet, rides nice, everything works like it should and no rattles. This is her 2nd 2014 Forrester as the first one was totaled with less than a 1000 miles on the clock. A guy ran a red light and T-boned her. She walked away from it completely unhurt. I don't see a comparison here. The Forrester is eons ahead of the 4 Runner.
Thi has to be a troll. Almost every person I know has a 4Runner of some vintage. Not a single one has had these kinds of experiences.

Old 12-15-2017, 11:46 AM

723 posts, read 1,005,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
4Runner gets my vote might pay to compare insurance costs between the two before buying though.

Interesting that people were commenting as if the Outback and 4Runner have similar reliabilty when infact the Subaru has apparently required "a ton of new parts" including replacement engine and drivetrain..at atound the same mileage a 4Runner MIGHT need a EGR sensor replaced.

Ummmmm...really not comparable vehicles in long term reliability imho

Just my experience.
I should have stated that that is just one of the Outbacks I was looking at, it is a 4 cylinder of course. The reason it had a blown engine was that a college student didn't check the oil had nothing to do with the engine itself. The other Outbacks are 2010 V6 models more of a true comparison engine wise to the 4 runner.

Old 12-15-2017, 01:09 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
Those are two totally different types of vehicles in my opinion. I say 4Runner without a doubt. Not only does it have the 4wd capability, but they are reliable and have great styling. They also hold their value really well so in a few years if you decide to get rid of it you will make out a lot better with the Toyota vs the Subaru.
4Runner has the 4WD capability doesn't mean it's own par with Subaru Symmetrical AWD system. Toyota 4WD system on just about every model is a joke in comparison to Subaru.

4Runner is just a light truck body SUV, while the Outback is a true offroad wagon. If both are taken to ski country or to Camping I'm going with the Outback.

There's a reason people who like outdoors stick with Subaru instead of Toyota or even Honda SUVs, Outbacks are designed for outdoor recreation. I am even willing to bet that Outback has much better water protection than 4Runner.

Old 12-15-2017, 02:35 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,576,139 times
I owned a 2005 4runner and it was in the shop more than any other car I ever owned. I had a 2002 Outback and it was never in the shop. I had a later Outback and the CVT snapped at 40k.

Old 12-15-2017, 02:36 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,576,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
4Runner has the 4WD capability doesn't mean it's own par with Subaru Symmetrical AWD system. Toyota 4WD system on just about every model is a joke in comparison to Subaru.

This is true. My 4runner slipped and slid through snow. My outback never got stuck no matter how hard I tried.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive