Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2017, 12:52 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,464,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
They aren't getting mid-high 20s. Mid-high teens overall, unless you get an eco-diesel which will have other problems.
Mine did before I threw headers exhaust intake and custom written tunes in it.
4 cylinder mode engaged frequently in Stock trim.
When I moved from NY to Florida I filled that truck only 3 times. 1848 mile trip.
26 gallon gas tank. What killed it was getting bottle necked and going down the jersey turnpike. Do the math. 1848 ÷ 3 ÷ 26 gallons.

From jersey south it was in 4 cylinder mode 98% of the time.

Quote:
And they really aren't "well rounded". Payload capacity is nil. They are made to pull trailers, not haul stuff in the bed... which more often than not isn't big enough to haul much anyway.
I don't know... small block V8s fit in the bed when I picked them up from my machinist when I was building stock cars.
Full size sheets of plywood fit when the hurricane rolled in.
Hot water heater fit.
Irrigation pumps and tanks have all fit.
Dirtbikes fit in the bed.
Yamaha banshee fits in the bed.
What the hell would the average person be putting in that would require a 1 ton capacity in the bed? A huge steel safe?
Everything I've ever had to haul either fit in the bed or didn't require a 1 ton capacity...

In the 3/4 ton I've had
1 pallet of pavers
1 pallet of sod

Have had again whatever I needed to move usually if whatever didn't fit in the dump trailer, fit in the bed.

Quote:
There aren't that many trucks being used for work. Most are commuting vehicles, that very occasionally tow trailers. Their main market is reasonably wealthy guys ($100k+/yr) who like to think of themselves as rugged and manly, but really aren't. Hence the plethora of "comfortable" metrosexual features, and the latest electronic doodads.
That would be your Platinums, King Ranch, High Country, and whatever dodge is pumping out to compete with those. Usually a "special" paint and cheesy interior.

I'm just saying you don't need a power wagon that rides like a buck board.
The heated seats feel great when my back kills (herniated l2 and l3)
It's practical to have navigation/touch screen.
Nice to have the premium stereo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2017, 12:56 PM

45,002 posts, read 59,991,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
This is why we sweep the snow off the truck (and car) before opening the door and starting it up. In our Christmas Eve storm (6") I used the leaf blower to clear them off. My F150 5.0 gets only 15/22 MPG, but I didn't expect more, it's the price to pay for 385 HP, and being able to haul 3,000 lbs and tow 10,000.
You just made a point I've made before, too. If you buy a truck and expect to get econobox MPG, and then have the audacity to whine about it, you can't afford the truck in the first place.

Old 12-28-2017, 01:08 PM

9,403 posts, read 4,234,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapie9969 View Post
Does anyone else find the idea of new pickup trucks costing around fifty grand to be ridiculous?
From what I have heard the reliability of these trucks isn't something to brag on either.
I'm not a truck guy (as evidenced by my posts in other truck threads on this forum), but they're worth what people will pay. From a marketing standpoint, its brilliant. Much like Harley-Davidson motorcycles, high-end truck buyers are willing to pay more for an inferior product. It's a mystery to me, but I'm sure some of my purchase decisions seem silly to other people as well.

Old 12-28-2017, 01:34 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,606,108 times
Quote:
I have two of them! I like the old one the best, but I needed a bigger one to build a home on.

"Up to" payload is a joke. That's a 2wd regular cab. The 1/2 tons commonly sold can add 1200-1500 lb before they are over GVWR. And that includes passengers and everything else. My wee '86 Toyota truck can haul that much, and its unloaded weight is literally half as much.

I put "up to" because I didn't feel like listing out the 20 different configurations available for each model, all of which affect payload capacity. BTW... quite a few of those were crew cab trucks. The F150 was the only one that listed as a regular cab truck.

That is yet another benefit of the new trucks. If you just want a stripped down work truck you can get one. If you want a crew cab work truck with decent payload capacity, you can get one. If you want one loaded to the hilt with every luxury available in a car while still retaining a respectable payload capacity when you need to haul the occasional water heater or brick pavers for the new landscaping project, you can get one. You have options.

By the way..... the payload capacity of a 1986 Toyota pickup is 1,100 lbs before adding in fuel and people. That's 200 lbs less than the new Tacoma. No comparison to be made there unless you overload the truck. If we're going that route you could easily increase what the new trucks will carry by 50% and probably not break anything. But either way you slice it, the new trucks just do more.

Old 12-28-2017, 02:48 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,551,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
I'm not a truck guy (as evidenced by my posts in other truck threads on this forum), but they're worth what people will pay. From a marketing standpoint, its brilliant. Much like Harley-Davidson motorcycles, high-end truck buyers are willing to pay more for an inferior product. It's a mystery to me, but I'm sure some of my purchase decisions seem silly to other people as well.
How are trucks inferior? What is inferior are new cars costing $35k+ with no useable rear seat for adults. There isn't a true 6 passenger car sold today, unlike crew cab pickups which can still accomodate adults in the rear seat.

Old 12-28-2017, 02:53 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,551,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
TMy F150 5.0 gets only 15/22 MPG, but I didn't expect more, it's the price to pay for 385 HP, and being able to haul 3,000 lbs and tow 10,000.
The 3.5 Ecoboost V6 in the F150 gets better mileage and tows better than the 5.0 V8.

Old 12-28-2017, 03:09 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,917,065 times
Trucks are overpriced. Simple as that. They've become mobile billboards for urban toolbags, and a lame image for suburban wannabe cowboys. I think anyone who pays $90K+ for a Super Duty Platinum needs a lobotomy.

Old 12-28-2017, 03:14 PM

12,945 posts, read 9,563,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Yeah they’ve become luxury vehicles rather than dependable basic work rigs.
Depends on the trim you get, most pickups have several trim levels to choose from.

Old 12-28-2017, 03:26 PM

12,945 posts, read 9,563,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapie9969 View Post
Does anyone else find the idea of new pickup trucks costing around fifty grand to be ridiculous?
From what I have heard the reliability of these trucks isn't something to brag on either.
I have never heard that, I have owned four trucks form 1997, 2000, 2002, 2005 until 2011. I have never had anything major go wrong with any of them. I had two fords, one dodge and a Nissan, and they all were great truck and were very reliable to me. I believe trucks are even better and more reliable now since my last truck. That segment is super competitive and the real money makers for their brand, so making them to be reliable is a major selling point for these companies. I believe they are some of the most reliable vehicles on the road today, however, you will always have exceptions. I know many people with trucks, family, friends, coworkers, and I hardly hear of anything going wrong.

Old 12-28-2017, 03:38 PM

9,403 posts, read 4,234,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
How are trucks inferior? What is inferior are new cars costing $35k+ with no useable rear seat for adults. There isn't a true 6 passenger car sold today, unlike crew cab pickups which can still accomodate adults in the rear seat.
I can't remember the last time I had a rear seat passenger in my car. The huge, vast majority of vehicles (including giant crew cab pickup trucks) I see every day (and I live in a densely populated area) are occupied only by the driver. As such, rear seat capacity is virtually meaningless as a measure of vehicle's worthiness. In fact, a minivan offers better seating without the plethora of negatives one must tolerate with a pickup. You know - crappy fuel economy, hard to park, Conestoga wagon chassis dynamics, inferior braking/handling/performance at any given price point, etc. I could go on, but a truck, when not being used for its intended purpose, is indefensible from a purely logical standpoint.

Sure, some people actually use their trucks as intended. Speaking as someone who uses my truck as intended, I'm dismayed that so many trucks these days have useless beds (less than 6ft is a joke) and ridiculously high lift-over. You can buy a really decent car or minivan for $50K. Use the remaining $20K to buy a beater truck. Problem solved, and it will save the rest of us having to maneuver around these bloated whales as the ponderously plod along roadways or take 20 minutes to squeeze into a parking spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive