Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 09:21 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,142,186 times

Advertisements

I was bored at work during the holidays and was looking at 0-60 videos of probably close to 50+ cars.

Most 0-60 times are not realistic, as NO ONE gets to a stop light or while driving, right before they plan to pass, tells all the passengers to exit the car, decides to shift to Sport mode, turn off the traction control, turn off the AC and Torque brakes to get the best acceleration.

The auto magazines now make 0-60 such a important thing now, many people will pick a car over another based on that and say a car is slow if it does 0-60 in 7-8 seconds when we said that was very fast just 10 years ago. If a car can make it to 60 in under 8 seconds, it is not slow, as slow is 9-10 second range. Most cars when you simply press the gas and go fall into the 7-8 second range and are not hitting 6-6.5 seconds when driving the way you would from a stop.

When it comes to real world driving 0-45 is more realistic, as many streets have a 35-55mph speed limit and midrange passing once the car is up to speed, and you can see by most of these 0-60 videos that most cars will meet that 0-45 need. Its the 45mph and onwards where some of these heavy cars carrying a 4cyl or a poorly geared 6cyl becomes a dog when pressed for midrange or expressway passing even actual passengers are in the car. An Impala 2.5 or Camry 2.5 or Fusion 1.5 and other 4cyl's will meets its purpose in the city and make you think twice about passing when you have passengers with you at higher speeds.

With all being said, dont let 0-60 be a main factor of your car purchase, as manufacturers gear their cars specifically for that when you look at alot of these videos and the car is a complete downer to drive in most other situations since they are geared for fuel economy now. IF you can comfortably get up to speed or pass without cursing and praying, the car will meet your needs since 90% of your driving is 2-4K rpm and not 5000-7500rpm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2018, 09:27 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,513,348 times
I agree completely. Now we get to wait to hear from the speed/power junkies.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:33 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,969,807 times
While I enjoy sensation that a sub 5 second 0-60 car provides, I do agree with OP. 0-60 times are overrated. I would rather have a car that handled extremely well but had a slower 0-60 than a car that had a fast 0-60 time but handled poorly.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:34 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,831,000 times
It is a standard of comparison that is all.

Just like reliability ratings. They have nothing to do with how reliable your particular will or is likely to be. It just gives you some measure to compare models.

0 - 60 times have a closer resemblance to reality with automatic transmissions. You might have a chance at getting to the time the professionals get. How many people really wind the engine way out and drop the clutch at a light?

To me, 30-100 times are more interesting. That is the range I find more fun and more useful (passing). Spinning your tires at a light is just embarrassing, plus you will fishtail and might hit neighboring cars.

Handling is often overrated. In the USA, most of our roads are straight and essentially flat. You do slalom a bit in my state due to potholes, so that can matter I guess. However pretty much every car I have driven has been able to handle dodging potholes.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:49 AM

6,931 posts, read 218,503 times
I agree 100%. They’re selling a dream. The unrealistic closed-track commercials allow our imaginations to run wild for 30 seconds or so. If/when we actually buy the car, it is used to get milk and Pampers and go to work and out to eat. Occasionally we get to ogle it in the driveway as we wash it.

Old 01-15-2018, 10:01 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,142,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

Just like reliability ratings. They have nothing to do with how reliable your particular will or is likely to be. It just gives you some measure to compare models.

0 - 60 times have a closer resemblance to reality with automatic transmissions. You might have a chance at getting to the time the professionals get. How many people really wind the engine way out and drop the clutch at a light?

To me, 30-100 times are more interesting.
That is the range I find more fun and more useful (passing). Spinning your tires at a light is just embarrassing, plus you will fishtail and might hit neighboring cars.

Handling is often overrated. In the USA, most of our roads are straight and essentially flat. You do slalom a bit in my state due to potholes, so that can matter I guess. However pretty much every car I have driven has been able to handle dodging potholes.

30 - SUPER SPEEDER TICKET times lol. 1 day I will hit 100, I somehow backed off at 95 and 99mph the 2 times I tried it on a G6 GXP and Impala LTZ.

Agreed on handling as well, as most dont go through the mountains and twisties to get to QuickTrip or Kroger.

Old 01-15-2018, 10:11 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,595,618 times
Who uses 0-60 times as a main factor when deciding what car to buy? Certainly it’s not the majority of buyers

Old 01-15-2018, 10:12 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,519,731 times
I don't think I've ever used a 0-60MPH time to base my decision on buying a car...and I like fast cars. Gotta drive em.

Old 01-15-2018, 10:34 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

To me, 30-100 times are more interesting. That is the range I find more fun and more useful (passing). Spinning your tires at a light is just embarrassing, plus you will fishtail and might hit neighboring cars.

^^this^^ in the end ALL road tests are just an avenue of comparison between different models, and different brands. and it gives the automakers the chance to boast about their particular models in their ads.

unless you are a professional driver, or even have some serious racing under your belt, you will NEVER use the ultimate capabilities of any vehicle you driver. you will reach your own driving limits long before you reach the vehicles limits.

Old 01-15-2018, 10:46 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,616,968 times
I think a 30 - 60 would mean more to me. The ability to pass a slow moving vehicle on two lane roads in the rural environment is often overlooked. Jack Rabbit starts are fuel wasteful and stressful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive