Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 02:33 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,817,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I thought that it does burn with fewer emissions than gasoline, that's why they add it to summer mixtures?
those laws were put in place before they realized that the sensors used to detect gasoline emissions couldnt detect alcohol emissions. even after they found this out, they havent changed the rules, in part to cover the extra demand for gasoline in the summer driving season.

Quote:
It is only renewable (on a large enough scale) if it takes less fuel (in the John Deere Combine, in the 18 Wheeler to the grain bin, in the locomotive to the ethanol plant) to produce it than it yields.
your concept of renewable is a bit warped. if we run out of crude oil, there i no more, we cant make it. however with alcohol we CAN make more since it is grown. the problem is that too many people are concentrating on one source of the base to make alcohol, that being corn, and not ALL sources for a base to make alcohol. and remember not all feed corn goes to make fuel alcohol either, some goes to make whiskey and other drinking alcohols.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2017, 04:41 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,115,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
you guys are only looking at one thing and trying to rationalize your hate for ethanol, reality check here, i have already noted the benefits to corn ethanol, and they have been known for decades, but you are ignoring them.

as for damaging engines, that is pure rubbish, i have dealt with alcohol fuels for decades as well, the only issues i have run across is fuel system parts that are not designed to handle ethanol, since alcohol is a solvent. once ethanol proof fuel lines are installed, and ethanol proofing is done in the rest of the fuel system is done, ethanol is quite a viable fuel.
Doesn't alcohol absorb water?

Old 12-18-2017, 04:48 PM

Quote:
those laws were put in place before they realized that the sensors used to detect gasoline emissions couldnt detect alcohol emissions. even after they found this out, they havent changed the rules, in part to cover the extra demand for gasoline in the summer driving season.

your concept of renewable is a bit warped. if we run out of crude oil, there i no more, we cant make it. however with alcohol we CAN make more since it is grown. the problem is that too many people are concentrating on one source of the base to make alcohol, that being corn, and not ALL sources for a base to make alcohol. and remember not all feed corn goes to make fuel alcohol either, some goes to make whiskey and other drinking alcohols.
What do the corn Harvesters run on?

Old 12-18-2017, 06:21 PM

5,671 posts, read 5,866,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
What do the corn Harvesters run on?
Biodiesel.

Old 12-18-2017, 09:51 PM

9,398 posts, read 11,147,212 times
Typical bribery and tit-for-tat that our loyal servants engage in, for our own good.

Old 12-19-2017, 04:07 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,730,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Doesn't alcohol absorb water?
Actually that can be a positive attribute. By encapsulating the water which enters the fuel tank, it can be carried through the system in very small amounts and removed from the fuel system through the combustion process.

I know everyone has heard of "Heet". It's active primary ingredient is ethanol. With 10% ethanol fuel it is rendered unnecessary.

I do believe that it can be a problem for long term storage. I use Stabil in my yard equipment for storage. Never have a problem.

It does in fact raise the octane of fuel, which can be good for performance tuning and anti-knock properties.

It carries less energy than gasoline, so may lower MPG.

Now the elephant in the room: if it was economically competitive/effective, it would not require taxpayer subsidies. So yes, it is an agriculture subsidy. I'd feel a lot better about it if it could stand on it's own merits.

Last edited by shaker281; 12-19-2017 at 04:31 AM..

Old 12-19-2017, 05:50 AM

A lot of good posts here, however the underlying truth is that ethanol as an additive in gasoline was pushed by the corn farmer lobby. And who can blame them. They need the money like any other grower.

A lot of R&D went into making this medicine taste good, but it has created some legitimate concerns. This has created a secondary industry for additives to make the fuel "less detrimental".

A good example is the prohibition of its use in recip aircraft engines. The FAA doesn't want to force owner/pilots to risk their safety on a corn-subsidy scheme. If it's not good enough for airplanes, then why is it good enough for the family car?

Another example is boating. Increasing reliability risks by putting a questionable fuel in the tank could be a matter of life and death. If YAMAHA says ethanol should be avoided in outboards, I'm listening to them!

As long as the corn lobby has such influence over our government, we'll continue to put safety and reliability at risk in the name of imagined environmental causes.

Old 12-19-2017, 06:41 AM

13,703 posts, read 12,410,701 times
Quote:

I understand what you're saying. It isn't that its warped, its that on a long enough time scale, your walking backwards against the escalator, no?

Old 12-19-2017, 07:59 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,877,781 times
Quote:
something else that has been known for decades, but most people who are anti corn ethanol forget, is that there are corn stocks that are not edible by humans, but the ARE edible by farm animals. however even the farm animals have issues digesting those corn stocks in raw form.

however once these feed stocks of corn have been processed into ethanol, the mash becomes quite easily edible for farm animals, so in the end corn ethanol is a win win situation, people get fuel for their cars, and the animals get a feed stock they can digest without issue.
That is awesome to hear. It is recycling in a way. Most recycling takes some sort of energy to do it correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Most people know about the Ethanol scam, but both Republicans, and Democrats support it because they want the votes, and political donations from corn farmers.
Oh really, next thing I know someone is gonna try to tell me water is wet.

Quote:
you guys are only looking at one thing and trying to rationalize your hate for ethanol, reality check here, i have already noted the benefits to corn ethanol, and they have been known for decades, but you are ignoring them.

as for damaging engines, that is pure rubbish, i have dealt with alcohol fuels for decades as well, the only issues i have run across is fuel system parts that are not designed to handle ethanol, since alcohol is a solvent. once ethanol proof fuel lines are installed, and ethanol proofing is done in the rest of the fuel system is done, ethanol is quite a viable fuel.
Exactly. Newer cars are ethanol ready. Cars that aren't ethanol ready, it is kind of like running on the wrong octane. Sometimes you go, sometimes you blow.

Old 12-20-2017, 12:10 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,067,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post

Exactly. Newer cars are ethanol ready. Cars that aren't ethanol ready, it is kind of like running on the wrong octane. Sometimes you go, sometimes you blow.
My 2017 truck is flex-fuel and can run E85. I did some checking and found only one place within about 20 miles that sells it, and the price is about 50 cents a gallon more than regular fuel. According to many sources it decreases the mpg, so I'm not likely to pay more for something less efficient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive