Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 03:26 PM

18,560 posts, read 7,362,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Because there will be proof that you were turning (position of cars at impact) but no proof that he was speeding if he denies it. Unless you are a certified peace officer trained in speed estimation your word will be meaningless.
Turning isn't illegal. So proving that you were turning doesn't prove anything regarding who was at fault.

As for the other driver's speed, your word wouldn't be meaningless, and the fact he hit you can just as easily be characterized as evidence he was going too fast.

The amount of damage and the location of the impact will show how fast the car was going, so it's not just your word against his.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2017, 03:43 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
And, from my experience parking lot fender benders won't get a full report from police unless it is major damage because it is considered private property.

You may want to check ahead with your area regarding this question.

Old 12-18-2017, 03:43 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
I was driving through a parking lot and a woman backed into me - there was no doubt that she was at fault, no matter how fast I was going. We didn't involve the cops, and i never made any claim - the scratch buffed out and the dent wasn't worth the time in the shop.

Old 12-18-2017, 04:07 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Turning isn't illegal. So proving that you were turning doesn't prove anything regarding who was at fault.
Depends. Turning in front of someone is illegal.. Failure to yield.

But, most parking lots don't have speed limits inside them. They're something of a free for all. So, unless you have video evidence that shows reckless behavior... It's generally going to be a situation where each party has their own insurance cover themselves.

Old 12-18-2017, 04:22 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
Quote:

As for the other driver's speed, your word wouldn't be meaningless, and the fact he hit you can just as easily be characterized as evidence he was going too fast.

The amount of damage and the location of the impact will show how fast the car was going, so it's not just your word against his.
A car turning into a lane always yields to a car already in the lane unless there is a sign indicating otherwise.

You can't calculate speed from amount of damage, at least not a difference in 10mph vs 20mph.

Wait, if the OP can really gauge speed and really knew the other car was doing 20mph plus, then why did he turn out in front of the other car? This entire collision happened because the OP misgauged the speed of the other driver. So the OP's credibility about the other car's speed is shot no matter what.

Old 12-18-2017, 04:31 PM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Wow that is interesting. I would not be a good fit on a jury, if it was concluded he was speeding and not buckled in I would've voted for $0.
The Walmart employee had admitted he hadn’t checked both directions before driving the forklift out from between the storage containers. That was the only reason why we awarded the money to the driver,...though no where near what they were asking for.

Old 12-18-2017, 04:32 PM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Depending on the business, there may be a video of an accident in a parking lot. Such a video could be used by insurance companies to decide fault in civil courts.

Old 12-18-2017, 04:59 PM

18,560 posts, read 7,362,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Depends. Turning in front of someone is illegal.. Failure to yield.
Turning in front of somebody is not illegal. Turning in front of someone when they can't avoid hitting you even though they're not driving at an unsafe speed is illegal.

Old 12-18-2017, 05:01 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
A car turning into a lane always yields to a car already in the lane unless there is a sign indicating otherwise.

You can't calculate speed from amount of damage, at least not a difference in 10mph vs 20mph.

Wait, if the OP can really gauge speed and really knew the other car was doing 20mph plus, then why did he turn out in front of the other car? This entire collision happened because the OP misgauged the speed of the other driver. So the OP's credibility about the other car's speed is shot no matter what.
I would have turned except for this moron trying haul ass (for a parking lot) in a supermarket parking lot. That was how I "avoided" it. If he wasn't going 20+ when I saw him, I would have turned because it was safe to. I checked and saw it wasn't safe to go. But nice story bro...

Old 12-18-2017, 05:03 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Turning in front of somebody is not illegal. Turning in front of someone when they can't avoid hitting you even though they're not driving at an unsafe speed is illegal.
So when are driving a safe speed it is illegal or What? Your double negative lost me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive