Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 10:04 AM

68,348 posts, read 54,470,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
It was leaking slightly (noticed coolant on driveway) so I took it in. High mileage engine never overheated. I don't drive it very far lately (maybe 10 miles into town once or twice a week).
If it was mine and I trusted the mechanic I think I'd just leave for the airport and not worry about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2017, 10:08 AM

15,804 posts, read 20,559,787 times
I used to fix head gaskets on me and my buddies Mustangs and be at the drag strip the following night racing them. I don't recall one of them ever failing immediately afterwards.

It was always after pushing too much boost through them later on that caused them to fail. You shouldn't have that problem.

In other words, I'd hop in and drive it no problem.

Old 12-19-2017, 10:21 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,759 posts, read 58,161,153 times
Your mechanic is not expecting it to fail (and shouldn't) Rework is costly! So is towing!!! Angry customers

after your trip to the kennel.... Check the water level (for level of contents and for bubbles while running) and the oil cap (for brown foam), Park where you can check for leaks (for the first few weeks).

Take a gal of antifreeze with you, but you should have no problem.

Many of us do headgaskets more frequently than desired on our higher risk cars... I have never had a failure after replacement (for the next few hundred k). As a teenager... I had a couple failures, (Too cheap to surface the warped head). I trust your mechanic is not the 15 yr old next door! (that might make me worry).

Old 12-19-2017, 10:52 AM

3,705 posts, read 4,861,819 times
When buying a car new, would you take it for a drive after picking it up?

would you have trusted your car before?

If not, why even bother taking it to a mechanic in the first place to pay a good bit to have it fixed?

Old 12-19-2017, 11:54 AM

22,667 posts, read 24,639,634 times
I would just drive the first 100 or so miles kinda easy......and really watch the temp-gauge.

Old 12-19-2017, 02:25 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,952,803 times
You did post near enough info for anybody to give you a decent response. Your "vehicle", is it a Yugo, Saturn, or is it a Peterbilt? Kinda makes a difference but one thing is clear, to replace a head gasket for $140.00 is dirt cheap and obviously that's all that's going to happen. If the head is warped in any way, it won't make the trip. If it's cracked, you won't make it. The only thing this mechanic is doing is replacing a head gasket. Best guess if any of the associated parts are crap or decent because obviously he's not checking anything.

Old 12-19-2017, 02:32 PM

3,512 posts, read 772,449 times
drive it like you stold it .. if it survives a 5 minute test drive it is good to go ...

Old 12-19-2017, 02:35 PM

11,557 posts, read 53,229,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
You did post near enough info for anybody to give you a decent response. Your "vehicle", is it a Yugo, Saturn, or is it a Peterbilt? Kinda makes a difference but one thing is clear, to replace a head gasket for $140.00 is dirt cheap and obviously that's all that's going to happen. If the head is warped in any way, it won't make the trip. If it's cracked, you won't make it. The only thing this mechanic is doing is replacing a head gasket. Best guess if any of the associated parts are crap or decent because obviously he's not checking anything.
perhaps you've misread the OP's post?

the $140 cost mentioned was the cost of rental cars to/from the airport instead of driving his own vehicle which would have just come out of the repair shop.

Old 12-19-2017, 06:18 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,584,912 times
Your engine must have not needed taking apart to replace the head gasket. Consider yourself lucky if so. I got rid of a ride that blew its HG from overheating because it was going to cost more than the car was worth. The gasket itself is not expensive, but labor for tearing an engine down is.

Head gaskets can develop cracks over time without being overheated. Some types of HG's are more durable than others. If you're still seeing temperature spikes, water vapor in the exhaust etc. you may still have a problem. But if you trust your mechanic and it made it home with no problem, you're fine.

Old 12-20-2017, 07:08 AM

13,717 posts, read 12,466,346 times
Quote:
Maybe I will ask the mechanic what his opinion is. He might know if there are potential problems that would factor in. The reason I ask is while talking to the neighbor I mentioned the car repair and he said something about it being risky.
Does your neighbor know s#it from shinola, or is your neighbor a mechanic?
Quote:
I've got to run my dogs to the kennel and thats a good 20 miles. That would probably be sufficient.
That would probably tell you what you need.

Have you priced out airport transport though, even private/semi private van service? might be a happy medium and no airport parking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive