Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 04:42 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,643,851 times

Advertisements

The lease on my Highlander is expiring. I want a lower payment, so am looking at compact SUVs. The choices are overwhelming, and nothing stands out as a clear winner to me.

I plan to lease again. Given that, would you consider SUVs that you may not consider to buy? For example, I like the new Compass looks- wise. I drove it, and it was decent, good enough for me. I know the previously model was universally panned, but the newer one gets better reviews anyway. Or the Nissan Rogue -- they are everywhere, but I kind of liked it when i drove it.

I probably wouldn't consider buying either car, but since it would be under warranty the whole time I was leasing, maybe it's worth considering.

I drove the CrV, and while I liked it ok, I couldn't get past the fake-looking brown metal trim inside. I know that's petty but it's true.
The Tiguan lacked the pep I like.
The Cx5 was peppy, but I just am not fond of the looks. Maybe I can get over that, as they get great reviews.
I like the Escape except the looks, but the Titanium that I would want has higher payments than I'd want to make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 05:01 PM

17,091 posts, read 11,930,016 times
Forester. Great vehicle and will likely be worth more than your lease buyout at turn in time.

Old 12-20-2017, 05:10 PM

30,701 posts, read 79,347,054 times
The new name for Hatchbacks.

My Dad has a Buick Encore and really likes it (he is on his third lease). I think it is a complete POS, but he loves it. It is easier to get in and out of if you are 87 than most other vehicles.

Pretty sure that is a compact CUV.

It is pretty cheap. I think he pays around or under $200 a month on a GM retiree plan of some kind.

It is not very peppy. He has the turbo model this time. It is still not very peppy, but do not tell him that. Just say "wow it is so much more peppy than the other one" (which is true).

I have gone with him and my brother on an eight hour drive (and then back a few days later). It really was not bad as long as I was driving. The back seat sucks for tall people.

The ride and road noise were terrible, but his newest one is much better. They claim to have focused on improving both.

Lots of techy crap in it (just what an 87 year old needs, he has no idea how any of it works, even after gong to a half day class at the dealership).

Maybe a good choice for you if you will be 87 one day.

Old 12-20-2017, 06:09 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,082 posts, read 80,136,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Forester. Great vehicle and will likely be worth more than your lease buyout at turn in time.
I agree, it was our second choice after the Escape (that we bought) and about the same price. I just didn’t like the feel of the CVT shifting. If that doesn’t bother you, they are probably the best value in that type.

Old 12-20-2017, 08:34 PM

20,243 posts, read 36,896,329 times
If you don't mind the front grill, this one has a lot more luxurious features than most, lots of power in front of a fully automatic 8-speed transmission, and the legendary Toyota reliability:
2018 Lexus RX - Luxury Crossover | Lexus.com

Old 12-21-2017, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
If you don't mind the front grill, this one has a lot more luxurious features than most, lots of power in front of a fully automatic 8-speed transmission, and the legendary Toyota reliability:
2018 Lexus RX - Luxury Crossover | Lexus.com
Yeah, that is a style I cannot abide I just can't do it.

Old 12-21-2017, 04:33 AM

166 posts, read 167,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
I do, occasionally, drive the 2015 2.0TX Forester version and i must say it's pretty satisfying.

Old 12-21-2017, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
The new name for Hatchbacks.

My Dad has a Buick Encore and really likes it (he is on his third lease). I think it is a complete POS, but he loves it. It is easier to get in and out of if you are 87 than most other vehicles.

Pretty sure that is a compact CUV.

That one is a bit too small for me. Looks nice though...

Old 12-21-2017, 04:57 AM

As far as Suburus go, I guess I hadn't thought to test drive one. The style of the Forester is underwhelming to me, but not hideous. Maybe I should go take a look in person...

Old 12-21-2017, 06:19 AM

7,122 posts, read 9,191,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
As far as Suburus go, I guess I hadn't thought to test drive one. The style of the Forester is underwhelming to me, but not hideous. Maybe I should go take a look in person...
As for Subarus, the newest chassis is implemented in the 2018 Impreza and its riding higher sister, the Crosstrek. Look here for info on all Subarus: 2018 Impreza Subaru specs, options, prices, dimensions, measurements and more

My problem with the Forester is its seats. I just could not find a comfortable adjustment. My daughter has a 2014 Forester XT and a two hour drive kills my back. However, I sat in a new Impreza and the seats are much improved.

As for low cost leases, I think Subaru offers the best deal because they have very high resale values.

If I were you, I'd go for an Impreza with the eyesight option group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive