Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 09:52 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
Well that is just stupid. If you don't run the red light then you won't get a ticket. How hard is that to understand? Of course, feel free to kill someone's family because a red light it just too inconvenient to stop for.
The local city has had a lot of problems... a lot.

Seems for over a year the timing of the Yellow was too short under the State regs... so all those tickets were bad...

Then, there are folks that got tickets because a car blocked the road and had to go around... there were a bunch in a 20 minute span all because of an obstruction.

The next one takes the cake... due to a fire the police were running traffic control... directing drivers with many getting tickets... State Law is clear... you obey the officer and not the signal light.

Red Light Cameras are just bad... they use a machine to issue citations and the machine is incapable of reason... such as when traffic is directing...

I've directed traffic on the behest of Law Enforcement... even gave me a vest and flares... there was a very bad wreck ahead and the officer asked if I could stay... how would a red light camera deal with a civilian following law enforcement request to assist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2018, 08:30 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,220,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
Well that is just stupid. If you don't run the red light then you won't get a ticket. How hard is that to understand? Of course, feel free to kill someone's family because a red light it just too inconvenient to stop for.
If you dug an inch below the surface you would have found that this theory was implemented under the guise of safety but in reality it has been nothing more than widespread cheating of the public - taxation through citation. Municipalities modifying (shortening) yellow light signal durations to increase citation output was/is a common scheme. Many towns statistically proved that accident rates WENT UP proceeding implementation of the cameras as a result of drivers slamming brakes unnecessarily out of fear of being cited. It doesn't matter, you and your kind have LOST this particular battle. The public have SPOKEN.

Old 01-03-2018, 09:24 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,697,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
If you dug an inch below the surface you would have found that this theory was implemented under the guise of safety but in reality it has been nothing more than widespread cheating of the public - taxation through citation. Municipalities modifying (shortening) yellow light signal durations to increase citation output was/is a common scheme. Many towns statistically proved that accident rates WENT UP proceeding implementation of the cameras as a result of drivers slamming brakes unnecessarily out of fear of being cited. It doesn't matter, you and your kind have LOST this particular battle. The public have SPOKEN.
Bad reaction to the cameras does not justify running red lights. Sure, some yellow light durations are unrealistically short and some systems very much are rigged to be ticket producers, but those are separate problems, not a problem with having traffic signals per se.

I agree with Ultrarunner that machines cannot replace real live cops with good judgment in evaluating the whole scenario, but he did not argue against having traffic lights.

Old 01-03-2018, 11:51 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,220,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Bad reaction to the cameras does not justify running red lights.
Who is justifying running red lights? Please take your strawman and prop him up elsewhere.

Old 01-04-2018, 08:05 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,090,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Bad reaction to the cameras does not justify running red lights. Sure, some yellow light durations are unrealistically short and some systems very much are rigged to be ticket producers, but those are separate problems, not a problem with having traffic signals per se.

I agree with Ultrarunner that machines cannot replace real live cops with good judgment in evaluating the whole scenario, but he did not argue against having traffic lights.

No one is arguing against having traffic lights, and no one is advocating running red lights, Where do you get that from?

Red light cameras are for revenue generation and create more problems than they solve (since they don't solve red light running in the first place).

As for the subject of the thread, I'd love to live in a state that didn't have front plates, as I think they are ugly buck teeth on the font of the car. On my V8 RX7 I had it in the front window, since WA was a front plate state, but I never got stopped for it:

On my 330ci ZHP, there was no holes in the front of the bumper, which I was glad about, so I mounted it on a custom bracket off to the side of the grille.

Still don't like it on there, though and take it off for shows.

Old 01-06-2018, 07:15 AM

990 posts, read 2,557,256 times
Truthfully, when I used to work for a living, I loved guys who ignored the requirement.

It brought me I to contact with soooooo many people.

We could have such nice conversations, along with the routine license and warrant checks.

In fact, my two favorite tickets to write were "improper display of plates", and "failure to inspect".

Both were perfect PC..,.. they were either there or they were not.

Both were very easy to articulate in court.

Any arrests were simply..... Gravy.

Old 01-06-2018, 07:23 AM

It must have been awkward when the plate of tab was paid for but stolen?

Theft of tabs has been rampant here... had it happen to me and stolen plates have happened several times in the Hospital Parking garage... and each plate was used in a robbery.

Twelve of my high school friends joined the department and one thing they learned is things are not always as they appear.

I was pulled over not having a current tag... the officer was very professional... did a check and saw I had already paid for the coming year... said to put it on as soon as I get it... no fix it ticket which would have meant a trip to DMV

I had the new sticker two days later...

Old 01-06-2018, 07:27 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,837,015 times
Truthfully, when I used to work for a living, I loved guys who ignored the requirement.

We could have such nice conversations, along with the routine license and warrant checks.

In fact, my two favorite tickets to write were "improper display of plates", and "failure to inspect".

Both were very easy to articulate in court.Any arrests were simply..... Gravy.

While you were stopping people for a silly front license plate omission, 200 more were speeding , running red lights, and other acts that actually put citizens lives in danger.

Old 01-06-2018, 07:39 AM

For a time I got pulled over transporting cars with Dealer Tags... they had the rubber holder with tabs that went under the trunk lid... but Dealer tags are rear only...

One young woman officer was really gung-ho... maybe she was nervous?

Everything was in order but she asked me too many questions... why I was driving, where I had been, where I was going... asked for documentation on the car... did a safety inspection, ran the VIN... I think she was disappointed when it all checked out... Boss wanted to know what took me so long... when I told him he said this was the second time this week..

Old 01-06-2018, 07:45 AM

4,948 posts, read 3,051,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banger View Post

Both were very easy to articulate in court.

Any arrests were simply..... Gravy.
Bragging about this is even more pathetic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive