Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2017, 06:16 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,200,641 times

Advertisements

Parts stores around here have very high employee turnover. I tend to go to O'Reilly's as my first choice. Carquest is my second choice and then Advanced Auto and then Autozone.

The stores seem to do little to retain good employees and our O'Reilly store has all new people who do not go out of their way to help. All of the money made goes straight to the corporate CEO.

In Autozone, employees hide when customers come in. They don't make eye contact. Environment is changing though as these stores are trying to compete with on line stores. Big question is how many will eventually drop their retail locations. I could see Autozone dropping out first. I have never seen more than about 2 people in the store. The remaining locations stand to benefit of others exit. O'Reilly could land on top as they seem to have the most going for them. It is all about customer service in the new retail world. Not sure they realize that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2017, 07:49 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times
the people that work at autozone are one step above pizza delivery, its best to look up what yo need on their web site and then go pick it up. you dont have to know what color interior for lug nuts

Old 12-25-2017, 07:52 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
They're all about the same to me, except Napa. I'm not sure if Napa franchises stores or not, but both of the ones closest to me are in old buildings with guys in their 60's behind the counter. Those older guys are generally more helpful though... I needed an oil drain plug washer for an old Gravely walk behind tractor, and the guys at Napa at least tried to find me one, the people at the other chain stores just said "we don't have that".

Old 12-25-2017, 08:23 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,824,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
They're all about the same to me, except Napa. I'm not sure if Napa franchises stores or not, but both of the ones closest to me are in old buildings with guys in their 60's behind the counter. Those older guys are generally more helpful though... I needed an oil drain plug washer for an old Gravely walk behind tractor, and the guys at Napa at least tried to find me one, the people at the other chain stores just said "we don't have that".
Spot-on! That's how the NAPA stores near me are. They'll make an effort to find what you need versus the pimple-faced kid at Autozone who will tell you they don't have it just because he doesn't know how to look for it. They have shorter hours though - closed at 5PM or 6PM at the latest. So, I often can't make it there before they close whereas the other ones are open until 9PM.

Old 12-25-2017, 08:35 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
When I looked at the package, I didn't even know to look for that word. My bad. I DID use the oversize plug, but thought I would let others know since there's bound to be someone else in my situation.
Your bad. Exactly. Why should the product take a damaging rating (and these days anything less than 5 of 5 is damaging) because of buyer error?

There are two types of auto people - those that do it themselves and those that pay others to do it for them. If you want to be in the first group it's on you to know what you need and buy what you need. Your ignorance does not constitute a deficiency in the product.

What you should have done if leave a 5 star rating, because the product worked exactly as advertised, and perhaps note in comments about it being "oversized".

Old 12-25-2017, 11:30 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
If you are not totally sure that a replacement part will fit, investigate very well and try to match-up the part if at all possible.

I had to replace the pcv-valve grommet in my van........every single car-part website showed the wrong grommet.

Old 12-25-2017, 12:22 PM

1,668 posts, read 1,487,407 times
Autozone is my closest parts store, I'm glad they're here. I use them when I can.

Sometimes I'll order parts from some online source, even eBay, if it I saves a bunch of money.
I saved $134 on a radiator from Amazon.

Sometimes the Autozone price is good enough. Convenience is worth something.

Old 12-25-2017, 12:59 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Your bad. Exactly. Why should the product take a damaging rating (and these days anything less than 5 of 5 is damaging) because of buyer error?

There are two types of auto people - those that do it themselves and those that pay others to do it for them. If you want to be in the first group it's on you to know what you need and buy what you need. Your ignorance does not constitute a deficiency in the product.

What you should have done if leave a 5 star rating, because the product worked exactly as advertised, and perhaps note in comments about it being "oversized".
Exactly. I don't understand...trying to leave a bad rating? It was the OPs error.

Old 12-25-2017, 01:07 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,989,965 times
I'm a confirmed O'Reilly's man. I quit Autozone a few years ago. And if O'Reilly's don't have it, then Ebay or Napa.

Old 12-25-2017, 03:57 PM

505 posts, read 847,835 times
The only time I go to an auto parts store is when picking up an online order (promo codes FTW). The counter people at these places were probably flipping burgers last week and often don't know anything about cars. All they can do is enter make/model/year into the computer and repeat what it spits out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive