Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 11:58 AM

154 posts, read 176,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
One of the most important questions to ask. This car shows to be located at Gulf States Toyota, in Houston, since May 2, 2017. Considering the flooding from Hurricane Harvey, new car or not, I would want to have any vehicle purchased in Houston Texas checked out and guaranteed no flood possibility. I live in San Antonio, and don't know the location, but I would surely be curious about it.
Price, for a perfect Sienna like this, $27,500 is fair.
Hey sinsativ, the car is actually located in Carson City, NV. Where did you get Houston from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
If the rebates/savings of $4,400 are manufacturers numbers then the asking price of $29,348 is full sticker MSRP price.

Unless there are other incentives unknown to you this vehicle will sell for somewhere near $27,000.

Just remember there are some volume dealers that will kick in thee 3% holdback. Some do many don't.
Thanks unit731! When I bought my 2007 Sienna new, the dealer went from around $27,000 to $23,000 in March of 2007. And there was no argument. He just said sure, and gave the sale to a new salesperson. Not sure if manufacturer's rebates applied.

Old 01-03-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
Another tactic is to go look at it in person and once you've gotten them as low as you can - tell them you are also looking at the Honda and you want to check that out before making a decision. They will start throwing things at you prevent you from leaving their dealership to go to another. I got another $1000 off on my Avalon by telling them I wanted to look at and drive an Accord at the Honda dealer down the road before I made any decision.
Nice! I want to go in person though since there is a a free $25 Visa gift card for test driving their vehicle. Plus I want to verify the mileage. My 2007 Sienna when new only had 12 miles on it! But my 91 Hyundai Excel had about 900! So no break in procedure!

What if I go in person and say: give me your best offer and tell them beforehand I am leaving to go to other dealers to ask the same question?

Old 01-03-2018, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Fair? There is no fair. There is only a price you agree to pay and the dealer agrees to sell for.

I don't see them selling it for that price.

Toyota Sienna's, according to the website (and this may vary according to your region) have a $2500 rebate on the hood, probably another $1900 off from that from the dealer, leaves them with another $1500 (maybe.) I would be surprised if you drove it away for $28K.

Its the beginning of the month, there aren't many 2017's left on the lot I assume either, and once they're gone that incentive goes away.
Thanks for the warning JONOV!I am a stickler for a deal. If what you say is true, I would be happy with $27,000 instead of $25,000. They also have like a 3% holdover, right? And these Sienna's have been siting there at least all of December. Very little movement.

Old 01-03-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
Talk them down as far as you can, then ...

This American Life, Episode 425 - "An FBI Negotiator Buys A Car":
https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2...tor-buys-a-car
Woodbury Woody: Holy sh*t! I listed to the entire podcast and got some great advice!

I like the nibble method, but with the airline example, the airlines didn't have to give up much in food and hotel vouchers and 1st class seating since they already had arrangement in place. What would be the equivalent to nibbling in car deals?

I tried nibbling in 1992 when I wanted a Mazda MX-3(?) at the car dealer. I got him to go as low as possible, then said I wanted a front mask. The salesman said no go. He explained he just couldn't walk over to the Parts Dept. and grab a front mask for free. It all costs money and the Sales dept. gets billed by Parts internally.

Maybe a full tank of gas and complete detail and state inspection? But most car dealers do that anyway when they sell a car. That is expected.

Old 01-03-2018, 12:35 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
You need to see what the rebates really are. There are rebates for 1st time buyers, rebates for military, rebates for students, etc. etc. When we were shopping for a RAV4, there was one advertised for 23K down from 28K due to multiple rebates which we did not qualify for so we walked and ended up buy used instead.

Old 01-03-2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
Cash means nothing. They make more (and you may even save more) by you financing. Even if you finance through the manufacturer's captive lending arm and pay it off after 90 days you might qualify for additional discounts and they likely get a kickback.

Cash, if anything, is a hindrance to a good deal.
Agreed 100% The problem is I am low income (I am disabled), but with good credit and savings. I can't get approved for credit cards or auto loans.

Old 01-03-2018, 12:41 PM

9,873 posts, read 7,197,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mileena202 View Post
Thanks unit731! When I bought my 2007 Sienna new, the dealer went from around $27,000 to $23,000 in March of 2007. And there was no argument. He just said sure, and gave the sale to a new salesperson. Not sure if manufacturer's rebates applied.
Often there are other things in the background going on that we don't know about. Maybe that unit had been hanging around and the manager said you can go as low as $5K off and the sales person gets to keep the rest. Maybe there was a manufacturer incentive to the dealer for meeting a certain number of sold units that would kickback an extra $XXX for every unit sold and you just happened to be the lucky guy whose sale made the goal - the next guy after you wasn't getting that good of a deal. Maybe the sales manager wanted to burn a bridge that day and giving a car away was better than lighting a bag of dog poop on fire in the showroom.

Old 01-03-2018, 04:01 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,832,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mileena202 View Post
hey sinsativ, the car is actually located in carson city, nv. Where did you get houston from?
ran the vin number on the ad you posted, it has a reference to a houston dealership. Its odd, but its there.

Old 01-03-2018, 04:09 PM

9,501 posts, read 4,332,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
Cash means nothing. They make more (and you may even save more) by you financing. Even if you finance through the manufacturer's captive lending arm and pay it off after 90 days you might qualify for additional discounts and they likely get a kickback.

Cash, if anything, is a hindrance to a good deal.
Yep. Plus, Toyota is currently offering 0% 72 month financing on 2017 Siennas. You need to do the math to determine if the lost opportunity cost of paying cash is worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive