Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 08:55 AM

3,071 posts, read 1,996,156 times

Advertisements

I've purchased a dozen different flashlights in varying price ranges & they either break quickly or never seem to work when I need them. I'm looking for a good quality flashlight to leave in my car & another to have in my home.

Someone suggested I buy a police flashlight. I see I can buy them in places online, but there are all sizes & prices over $100, so I was hoping someone could give a suggestion.

The last bunch I bought were from some hunting type store when I was traveling & the salesman insisted a certain flashlight on sale was the best, so I waked out with 3. They all worked once or twice, didn't work again after replacing batteries & were just cheap junk, so I tossed them.

Can I find something at WalMart or Target, or would it be better to spend $60 & get something from an online store? I'd rather buy it in person, if possible, so a store recommendation would be most appreciated... Army/Navy type store?

Any suggestions? Thank you very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2018, 09:09 AM

2,982 posts, read 9,833,069 times
Download the Flashlight App for your cell phone, it's with you all the time and works really good.

Old 01-03-2018, 09:10 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
The "police flashlights" are mag-lights. Very large well made flashlights that you can use as a baton (weapon) in a pinch. Open problem you have with a flashlight in a car is keeping the batteries fresh. There are two good solutions to this issue. Either remove the batteries and keep them in a zip lock bag so you can put them in the flashlight when needed, or get those crank powered flashlights that do not need batteries. Also, use only led flashlights. The old kind with bulbs that can become dislodged easily were prone to failure.

I have a combined solution. I have about six or seven of those small AA batter lights you can buy at Harbor Freight for $1 or sometimes get for free if you buy something else. I put one in each door pocket, one in each tool box in the sidewalls of the bed, one in each glove-box or console. I also stick some extra batteries in a bag in the main console. Then I also have one of those crank powered flashlights in a storage compartment under the back seat. On top of that I have two of those bigger/flt lights (also form Harbor freight, but they cost about $3). They have magnets on the back so you can stick them on your vehicle to hold the light in place.

That is overkill but I really do not like to get caught out at night with no light.

The downside all the kids and wifey know that if they need a flashlight and cannot find one, just go grab one out of Dad's truck. Every few weeks I have to scour the house performing a great flashlight round up and return them to my truck or I will find I have none when I need one.

You can find a maglight for under $30. You do not need the giant one that is like 2 feet long and takes four or 6 D cell batteries.

Old 01-03-2018, 09:14 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,565,195 times
Buy a good LED flashlight, a battery charger, and a few 18650 rechargeable batteries. The brands I like for the value are Olight, Nitecore, Fenix, Klarus, but there are many others. Do an online search for retailers that carry these.

Old 01-03-2018, 09:15 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,089,291 times
Maglites, can be had from any big box store, like Home Depot. Rugged, bright, and come in many sizes. I've got them for my car and home.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Maglite-...DH06/100036165

That's the big one, but you can get many sizes and LED versions as well. And that big version for $24 is basically the same as first responders use (and in many departments, exactly what they use).

Old 01-03-2018, 09:18 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,724,563 times
I carry this one in my glove box:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Maglite-226...light/50261269

Old 01-03-2018, 09:19 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,103,317 times
I have several of these. Reliable, LED, flashlight on the end and floodlight on the side. With a magnetic base and flexible shaft, it can be stuck onto the car to light up what you are doing (except on my aluminum F150, but it can also stand on the ground, and has a hook to hang).

https://www.amazon.com/Grip-25-Led-F...ible+led+light

Old 01-03-2018, 09:47 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,413,404 times
I daily-carry a flashlight on my person, it's been the Same flashlight for 5 years, needing only batteries. It's been through the washing machine several times, dropping in all sorts of nasty places, run over once or twice and it just keeps on ticking. It's a Fenix PD22 (looks like the current model is the PD25, $56 on Amazon).

The biggest issue is that it takes a unique battery, A123. I've been through 10 or 11 batteries in 5 years, but it's used frequently too. Power is going to be the #1 issue with what you, the OP, wants. A flashlight to toss in a glovebox/drawer and forget till you need it. How are you going to address that? Keep a spare with the flashlight? Setup a reminder system so you replace (or recharge) the batteries? Setup a switched charging solution so the battery gets charged every time you start the car (probably not a good plan)? Trust me, it sucks to Have a flashlight, Need it and not be able to use it because of no power.

The next thing to ask is do you want a "flood" or "spot"... lots of light to look around your immediate area or a highly focused beam that lights up things well away from you? They both have their benefits and you can sorta get some that are a Little of both.

I'd avoid anything but LED, incandescent (Maglite) are just BIG, power hungry and dim in comparison. Yeah, they can be used as a club... but unless you know How to use one, it can simply be taken from you and used as a club on you. Yeah, they can be converted to LED (I have one myself) and toss out Amazing light, but it's more expensive than just buying a good light to begin with.

So, OP, what do you Really want. My Personal suggestion would be something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Fenix-Ultimat...ble+flashlight

high quality light from a good brand name, rechargeable without needing an external charger... just set a reminder on your phone to take it out of the car/drawer and charge it every 3~6 months.

Old 01-03-2018, 09:53 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,079,333 times
Fenix makes very good flashlights. They're not as well known as Surefire or Streamlight but Fenix is good.

I would suggest a rechargeable headlamp, specifically this one:

https://www.fenixlighting.com/produc...able-headlamp/

I have had this for many months and use it for work and walking the dogs.

Reason I suggest rechargeable is so you do not have to fool with batteries. Just charge it once every other week and you'll be fine. It has various run modes.

I would go with a headlamp so your hands can be free while providing light. If you need a flashlight in your car, I believe it's likely you'll need both hands to do whatever it is you're doing.

And yes, I have owned/used Surefire, Streamlight and Maglight. Surefire is great but very pricey. Streamlight is good, too and they would be my second choice after Fenix. I would not buy a Maglight.

Old 01-03-2018, 10:24 AM

4,935 posts, read 3,046,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
I would not buy a Maglight.
Why not?.
I've had the 3 battery for a decade, and battery life is incredible.
Plus they make good self-defense weapons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive