Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 06:44 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by helloaloha View Post
When I moved to the city I found out that parking its extremely expensive and public transportation its awesome. My friend offered to park my car in her NJ home to I can save money on parking, so I moved the car to her place and gave her the title she said she needed just in case . The reason because I didn't sell it at the time was because I wanted to move back to VA at some point and I knew I would of needed the car.

Since I don't need the car anymore, I decided to sell it, couple months ago she said the title was lost, so I decided to get a duplicate of the title with DMV to find out that the car has been titled in NJ. How is this possible? texts, calls, she doesn't get back to me, honestly, If she wants the car under her name that's fine, after all, she helped me when I needed it , I just wished she could explain whats going on.
The car its not even new, She can keep it. I wish she could be more transparent, I hate all this drama.

Not sure what to do, I really don't want to have my name associate it with her or the car anymore, how could she transfer the car title under her name without asking me? I am emotionally drained, sad and I can't sleep at night. What should I do? Please excuse any typos
my advice to you is to stop trying to call her, send her letters, texts, emails, etc. and go see her in person. that way she cant duck you.

you want to make sure the title is no longer in your name, since you dont care about the car.

but at this point, after you talk to her in person, walk away from her and never see her again, you dont need friends like her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2018, 09:08 PM

64 posts, read 49,024 times
if she does something ilegal with the car and the title it’s under both names what’s going to happen. I’m sorry but besides from being in shock as I would never do something like that to anyone don’t know how someone can forge my signature... so its the car under both names?
I’m not used to dealing with situations like that.
I was going to go to the police department but I was confuse so that’s why I decided to ask you guys before filing a report
I just don’t want my name linked to anything bad.
I know I’ve lost a friend and that’s what hurts me the most

Old 01-04-2018, 09:38 PM

6,738 posts, read 2,906,835 times
I am guessing she had this planned from the git go, otherwise there was no reason to have asked for the title. I would put money on the fact that she forged the title and probably sold or is selling your car. That is why she isn't responding to your messages. She is now officially a felon...! You may well have trouble even locating the vehicle, it most likely now has NJ plates on it, and may be gone forever. I wouldn't worry about the new title being in both of your names, it's her car in her name, period, and to her you no linger exist,... Thanks for the free car, sucker...!
She deserves to feel the weight of the law on her shoulders, she is a thief..
What was the year, make and model of the vehicle, just so we can get an idea of the value of the vehicle she stole???
Please let us know how this turns out, it's an interesting case...

Old 01-04-2018, 09:45 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
if she does something ilegal with the car and the title it’s under both names what’s going to happen. I’m sorry but besides from being in shock as I would never do something like that to anyone don’t know how someone can forge my signature... so its the car under both names?
I was going to go to the police department but I was confuse so that’s why I decided to ask you guys before filing a report
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy ol' Man View Post
I am guessing she had this planned from the git go, otherwise there was no reason to have asked for the title. I would put money on the fact that she forged the title and probably sold or is selling your car. That is why she isn't responding to your messages. She is now officially a felon...! You may well have trouble even locating the vehicle, it most likely now has NJ plates on it, and may be gone forever.
She deserves to feel the weight of the law on her shoulders, she is a thief..
What was the year, make and model of the vehicle, just so we can get an idea of the value of the vehicle she stole???
Please let us know how this turns out, it's an interesting case...
OP if your name is still on the title, even as a co owner, YOU are fully liable for any damage caused by anyone driving that vehicle, unless you report it as stolen NOW.

and i agree with grumpy old man at this point, she needs to feel the full weight of the law on her on various charges, like forgery, grand theft auto, and she sold the vehicle, fraud. if she did anything through the mail then add mail fraud to the list.

and while you may not care about the car at this point, what happens when she does this to someone else? as far as i am concerned she need to be wearing a prison jumpsuit, and live in an 8x10 room with bars on the windows and as the door. and she needs to be wearing chrome bracelets when she is on her way to and from court.

Old 01-04-2018, 10:19 PM

I’m confuse so the car can be under both names? Mine and hers?

Old 01-05-2018, 03:32 AM

Never mind .. my question was already answered. Thank you very much for all your responses and wish you all a great 2018

Old 01-05-2018, 03:56 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,205,244 times
In most states, car titles don't need to be notarized. Ive always titled my cars in my wife's name, and Ive signed off on several of them. I even bought a car with a lien on it, and signed off on the lien so I could retitle it.

Yes, I did verify the lien had been satisfied, I just bypassed the couple of weeks it takes GMAC to finally get around to mailing the verification, during which I would not have been able to drive the car. I called a car dealer for advice, and he said they do it all the time. Not a crime if there is no intent to defraud.

Last edited by cebuan; 01-05-2018 at 04:11 AM..

Old 01-05-2018, 03:58 AM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Grand theft among other crimes. Best to report this to the police. Consider this a lesson learned.

Old 01-05-2018, 06:57 AM

6,539 posts, read 7,118,145 times
I agree with everyone saying this is one of the dumbest things they’ve ever heard of. Why did the friend in NJ say she needed the title? Once she asked for it, she knew exactly what she was doing, which was stealing your car. This person really wasn’t your friend, just saw you as an easy target.

Old 01-05-2018, 08:33 AM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Uh, no. This was never a friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive