Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 05:44 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,414,637 times

Advertisements

So, this is a fun one. I'm selling a vehicle in GA, have a buyer in VA who wants it, paid a deposit and we have plans to meet at the airport, payment is sorted, etc... basically it's all simple stuff until we get to the part where he drives home.

GA allows 7 days of use after the date of the sale so long as you have insurance. VA has a 3-day permit which he has lined up, but it's only valid in VA. SC can be skipped... but NC seems to be a PITA when it comes to this. When the buyer called, they told him, in no uncertain terms, that and vehicle without a plate will be pulled over (doesn't matter if this is true or not, he has written off the option of no plates ~ unless someone can find NC law that states it's acceptable) and the vehicle impounded.

Using a plate from another vehicle is illegal in every state, despite "common myth" to the contrary, so that's not an option.

So, that leaves the sale hanging... which is unfortunate on both parts. It's a big van, so transport is costly if hired out. I'm unwilling to drive it to VA. The one option I can sorta see is leaving the tags on the vehicle, but that opens the door for a whole lot of liability that I'm not comfortable with.

Anyone think of other reasonable options that are Legal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2018, 05:55 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,235,996 times
Check the laws in your state, go to your state DMV website. Here in TX, you can submit a form showing that you've sold the car. Once you submit that, the car is no longer yours as far as TX is concerned.

I normally take the plates off my cars, but sometimes I haven't. I sold a car once to a guy who said he was buying my car (Jeep GC with 4x4) because he was moving to a northern state with lots of snow, then proceeded to stay in the metroplex for the next 6 months, driving around on toll roads and what not and racking up charges. (I had taken my tolltag out of the car, but I hadn't figured that they would take a picture of the plate going through the turnstile and send me the bill!)

So I disputed the charges, and told them I had filed the form with the state showing the car was sold. They were able to pull up that fact on their computers, dismissed all charges, and that was the end of it, I had no liability with that car anymore.

So, you can probably leave the plates on, but submit all the documentation needed for your state saying the car was sold and you should be ok.

Old 01-04-2018, 06:27 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,414,637 times
There's accident liability in leaving my tags on the vehicle as well though. A lawyer isn't going to go "Oh, you've submitted paperwork showing you've sold the vehicle, so sorry, I wont sue you now"... It's just complicated liability-wise, and I have stuff to lose.

I'm maybe 20% on board with the idea, it's something I'd do if I were younger/dumber. Raise that a bit if I use a document like this: https://store.nolo.com/products/auth...oe3-pr408.html , but I'm still not even 50%.

I pretty much assume the sale is sunk, but lets see if anyone happens along tonight...

Old 01-04-2018, 06:39 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,929,699 times
Drive the scenic route and go thru Tennessee to get from Georgia to Virginia?

Old 01-04-2018, 06:46 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,236,388 times
The VA prospective Purchaser's Trip Permit does not say that it is only valid in VA, unlike the standard trip permit.
https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/vehicles/#temp_permit.html

Old 01-04-2018, 09:20 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,700 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Some states.. the plates stay with the vehicle.

1) A bill of sale / release of interest on title (can take a photo with your phone)
2) fill out the 'receipt of sale' DMV Transaction (on line to get it date stamped) and send the seller on their way (with your (previous) plates)

I would want buyer to provide me with proof of insurance.

But once you close the deal and file your DMV report (sold) it is not your car.

I usually bring a transit permit, but legally EACH state requires a transit permit (for miles traveled within their state).

Old 01-04-2018, 09:31 PM

3,377 posts, read 9,205,251 times
While not exactly a lawyers opinion...

If you are traveling without plates in a car you just bought but you have a made an effort to comply with you home state's trip permit, have valid insurance, a signed bill of sale, and maybe even a signed title if it was a cash deal, and you are not a complete arse to the officer....if the officer actually gives you a ticket with all of that presented to them.....well.....I bet that doesn't happen too often.

The only legal way to get this car back to VA would be trailer it or find a way to have a permit for every state or have the buyer accept the minimal risk and do what everybody else does.

Can the van be flat towed?

Old 01-04-2018, 09:40 PM

3,377 posts, read 9,205,251 times
One question....if a VA trip permit isn't valid outside of VA....why is a VA license plate valid outside of VA? What law lets NC or the other 48 states recognize the VA plate? Maybe that same law makes the trip permit valid outside of VA?

Does the permit actually say....only valid in VA? I can't find any pictures of one.

Old 01-04-2018, 09:47 PM

6,738 posts, read 2,907,882 times
Don't let him touch the vehicle until five days after the check is deposited, no matter how good the check looks, it could well be a phony.
It happens all the time, the bank will accept the check and credit to your account, and then five days later it turns out the check is fraudulent and the bank deducts the funds from your account and you are left hold the bag, no car, no money. Showing the check to your banker is not a guarantee, until the check clears is the only way to know for sure.
It's a common scam, don't be suckered, play it safe, Unless he is paying cash, he doesn't get the vehicle until you have guaranteed funds..
Be warned, be careful.....

Old 01-05-2018, 03:31 AM

1,329 posts, read 2,628,275 times
I’m curious if he financed the purchase in VA?

I’m trying to figure out how to fly to another state, test drive, finance remotely through a lender in my own state, then complete the purchase and drive home. My local bank was flummoxed by this question. I figured the loan app could be completed while I was in another state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive