Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 01:25 AM

154 posts, read 176,632 times

Advertisements

I have AAA Premier, and get one free 200 mile tow per member year, pus the remaining tows at 100 miles each (it is usually 3, though some AAA jurisdictions offer 2 or 4). My member year expires January 31, then the new years starts for me February 1. I have been a 28-year member.

Question: does the car have to be inoperable for it to be towed by them??

In 1996, I had my running, fully operational Subaru towed 40 miles to the used car dealer. I said to him they won't tow unless it doesn't run. He said no, they will tow for any reason, as long as you are there at the pick-up site. I didn't want to drive it myself since I had no way home and I was junking the car. I just had to get it to him and he would mail me the $300 check for parts.

Also, there have been times when the police caught me driving after license suspension in the distant past, when I was younger, and I simply told AAA the car won't run, and they towed me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2018, 03:57 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,161,983 times
Seems odd to me that a 28 year member of something would come here for advice on it.

Old 01-05-2018, 07:28 AM

6,535 posts, read 7,115,401 times
You answered your own question. The towing companies are not owned by AAA and they don’t care. They actually prefer when it’s drivable so it’s easier for them to get it on/off the flatbed.

Old 01-05-2018, 07:29 AM

48,515 posts, read 34,800,001 times
My BIL called AAA when he felt he had too much to drink. No problem, they towed him home.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-05-2018, 09:59 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,214,787 times
Absolutely. I have used it a few times to transport two vehicles (me driving one and other towed) 80 miles away just so I wouldn't inconvenience friend/family by asking them to drive it.

Old 01-05-2018, 10:56 AM

Nice! You guys are awesome! I appreciate the answers.

Old 01-05-2018, 01:20 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,817,332 times
add one more to the AAA will tow your vehicle anytime you ask them to, running or not. there are many reason to tow a vehicle that dont include non running conditions.

Old 01-05-2018, 02:30 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,620,722 times
Maybe I'm off base, but there is a world of difference between asking whether AAA will WILLINGLY pay to tow an operable vehicle, and whether there are tow truck drivers willing to FAKE A REPORT that says your car was inoperable.

In no way, shape, or form will AAA pay to tow your operational vehicle if they know it is safely operational. They also refuse to pay to tow cars without current registration and tags, even non-operational.

Old 01-05-2018, 03:01 PM

Crap. My plan was to buy the car at a dealer in CA. You must pay sales tax to CA even if you are registering the car out of state. That comes to around 8%. That is, unless you tow it out of state. But then you do not get a temporary registration like you do if you keep it in CA. The plan was to use AAA to tow it free from the dealer to out-of-state.

But, I have another idea: just tow it off the dealer's lot for a mile or so to a plaza. Then tell the tow truck guy to drop the car and pay him $50 or whatever it costs. Then just drive the vehicle out of state. I will either bring my current tag and attach it to the vehicle or use those CA paper plates.

No cop will give you are hard time if you tell him you just bought the vehicle. I knew someone who was driving in AZ or TX or around there. A cop pulled him over for no tags. Coversation:

Cop: I pulled you over since you have no tags. Do you have tags?
Driver: Nope.
Cop: Do you have proof of insurance?
Cop: Ok, why don't you have tags?
Driver: I just bought the car.
Cop: Do you have a bill of sale?
Cop: Ok, have a nice day and drive safe!

And Steve Jobs, CEO of Apple, drove for years wth no plate, and never got pulled over.

Old 01-05-2018, 08:13 PM

6,535 posts, read 7,115,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mileena202 View Post
Crap. My plan was to buy the car at a dealer in CA. You must pay sales tax to CA even if you are registering the car out of state. That comes to around 8%. That is, unless you tow it out of state. But then you do not get a temporary registration like you do if you keep it in CA. The plan was to use AAA to tow it free from the dealer to out-of-state.

But, I have another idea: just tow it off the dealer's lot for a mile or so to a plaza. Then tell the tow truck guy to drop the car and pay him $50 or whatever it costs. Then just drive the vehicle out of state. I will either bring my current tag and attach it to the vehicle or use those CA paper plates.

No cop will give you are hard time if you tell him you just bought the vehicle. I knew someone who was driving in AZ or TX or around there. A cop pulled him over for no tags. Coversation:

Cop: I pulled you over since you have no tags. Do you have tags?
Cop: Do you have proof of insurance?
Cop: Ok, why don't you have tags?
Driver: I just bought the car.
Cop: Do you have a bill of sale?
Cop: Ok, have a nice day and drive safe!

And Steve Jobs, CEO of Apple, drove for years wth no plate, and never got pulled over.
How far of a tow is out of California? Does it have to be towed from the dealership to avoid the CA sales tax? Steve Jobs, what an ass for doing that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive