Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 07:32 PM

3,857 posts, read 3,122,097 times

Advertisements

What would be the best method of getting out of a parking spot?

I am Parked curb side,on a street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2018, 08:00 PM

8,815 posts, read 15,252,830 times
Turn the steering wheel in a direction away from the curb. Accelerate slowly and avoid any objects in front of you as you pull out into the lane of traffic. If you can't pass clear of an object, slowly back up until you are able to pull forward safely and then move forward, accelerating into the lane of traffic. Watch for passing traffic as you do so.

Old 01-05-2018, 08:04 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,982,390 times
How much snow?

Old 01-05-2018, 08:36 PM

32,523 posts, read 47,566,435 times
Snow shovel.

Don't pile the snow so it blocks the car next to yours.

Old 01-05-2018, 08:54 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,897,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
What would be the best method of getting out of a parking spot?

I am Parked curb side,on a street.
Wouldn't the answer be a shovel ?

Old 01-05-2018, 11:46 PM

3,857 posts, read 3,122,097 times
I am actually looking for a simpler way of getting my car out of the snow. My back is not up to the task, but I need my car!
As I nurse my back and hip, I look back to see if last night was a better time to at least clear the snow around the front of my car. I did at least drive the car back and forth in the soft snow, angling out to clear a path for me. I still had to dig out some snow today, with the help of a neighbor. At least tonight ,I am parked at an angle giving me a straight shot out of my parking space.

I am talking 6-12 inches of snowfall, and my car avoided most of it because of wind gusts. I am looking for an alternative to avoid having to shovel too much. I cant mess up my back more than it is. Maybe I can spread some loose gravel , sand, salt during that early snowfall, granting me traction when I use the car? a fancy shovel? any tricks?

Old 01-06-2018, 12:24 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,800,565 times
Quote:
any tricks?
When you do park (for the night), how much snow is in front of you already ?
Shovel away as much as you can, then pour a lot of salt in front of your car, so that maybe the snow will be melted a bit in the morning ?

Old 01-06-2018, 07:56 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,982,390 times
Can you send a picture? Maybe ask around or call a snow plowing company to come do the shoveling/putting salt down for a fee?

Old 01-06-2018, 08:09 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,359,156 times
If you spread some sort of melt (salt), you'll simply be trying to drive over snow on a layer of ice = going nowhere. Sand or Gravel with a layer of snow do little better as they get covered with more snow, then packed between (think of it like peanut butter in a PB&J sandwich where the snow is the bread).

Honestly, the best course is removing the snow. Can't do that yourself, hire one of the neighbors to do it for you. If you have space to keep it, buy a small snow-thrower (or powered shovel).

Beyond that, a better parking space (covered), better tires (winter specific, no need for studs), better vehicle with higher ground clearance, and a different place to live without the snow issues....

Old 01-06-2018, 08:22 AM

6,563 posts, read 11,205,549 times
Quote:
I am actually looking for a simpler way of getting my car out of the snow. My back is not up to the task, but I need my car!
As I nurse my back and hip, I look back to see if last night was a better time to at least clear the snow around the front of my car. I did at least drive the car back and forth in the soft snow, angling out to clear a path for me. I still had to dig out some snow today, with the help of a neighbor. At least tonight ,I am parked at an angle giving me a straight shot out of my parking space.

I am talking 6-12 inches of snowfall, and my car avoided most of it because of wind gusts. I am looking for an alternative to avoid having to shovel too much. I cant mess up my back more than it is. Maybe I can spread some loose gravel , sand, salt during that early snowfall, granting me traction when I use the car? a fancy shovel? any tricks?
I think there are other factors that may play into this. But because you have a health issues that is preventing you from shoveling. Your best bet may simply be finding a nice neighbor or even paying a kid to shovel the snow. You can also consider a garage nearby.

Other ideas may or may not work depending on conditions. Also - is being blocked in by the city's snowplow an issue?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive