Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 07:43 AM

1,309 posts, read 1,693,485 times

Advertisements

I went to auto zone yesterday for new wipers. the gut suggested Duralast Flex 26 inches which cost 19.00.

He only had the driver side of that brand, and he said the durulast Aero would work as well for the passenger side. So I believed him, and said ok.

He put both on, and then I discovered later in the day, when it rained, that the passenger side one doesn't work well.
so I'm going to return it.

my question is - was this an honest mistake, or did he just think I'm a dumb female that wouldn't know that both sides should be the same brand?

(I do think I should have been more alert)

thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 08:10 AM

776 posts, read 947,747 times
Wipers are usually sold in pairs, just like shock absorbers are.

The effectiveness of a particular brand is dependant on the rubber used in the blade AND the design of it.

When you say one is "not working properly " what do you mean ? Is it skipping, not making full contact with the glass or... ?

One of the factors that many drivers seem to miss is the amount of spring tension in the wiper arm. The spring is what keeps the wiper in contact with the glass. In a car with a few years of use behind it.. the wiper spring may be weak. A weak wiper spring usually equals a poor performance when it rains.

A few general points about the care and use of windshield wipers. If it starts to rain,,, wait a couple of minutes before you turn them on. Why ? Dry wipers really wear fast, even if it is only few minutes of nearly dry use. If you live in a place that gets winter ice and snow, be careful about how you move the blades with your hand, before scraping the windshield. Pulling on a blade that is frozen to the glass will sometimes break off a portion of the edge. That results in a portion of the glass not being cleared.

XXX.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:20 AM

30,702 posts, read 79,372,236 times
There is a considerable difference in the quality and design of wiper blades. There is nothing wrong with getting two different ones, they do not need to match, you just need to realize the cheaper one will not work as well or last as long at the better ones. In my experience Bosch Icon blades are the uncontested best. However they are crazy expensive. I use an Icon ont he drivers side and a Bosch Evolution on the passenger side. It simply is not as critical to have the passenger side crystal clear.

There is a higher end RainX blade that works great too, but does not hold up as well as the ICON.

On the other hand, my son waits for a sale, buys the cheapest store brand wiper blades for $2 each and just changes them out a lot. He brings them back as soon as they get bad and they give him new ones. Most blades work pretty well when they are new. But some stop working in only a few days and never work as well as the better ones. Sometimes those cheap ones just fold up on the first use. It may be a PIA to stop at Autozone weekly or monthly for new blades, but for him it is on his way, so it really is not much of a hassle, and he does nto have $60 for ICONS.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:28 AM

6,417 posts, read 9,729,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleguy View Post
Wipers are usually sold in pairs, just like shock absorbers are.

I have never seen wipers sold as a pair.

Many cars don't have the same size wiper blade on each side so what good is a pair of them lol

Old 01-09-2018, 08:31 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,105 posts, read 80,190,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post

Many cars don't have the same size wiper blade on each side so what good is a pair of them lol
Same here, they are always sold individually. I also find the Bosch to be the best. I once tried Michelin and they were awful. In our climate we need to replace them annually.

Old 01-09-2018, 11:05 AM

17,103 posts, read 11,948,240 times
Would be impractical to sell them in pairs as driver and passenger side are usually different sizes and the number of combos for different cars would be exponential.

Old 01-09-2018, 12:04 PM

30,702 posts, read 79,372,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Would be impractical to sell them in pairs as driver and passenger side are usually different sizes and the number of combos for different cars would be exponential.
They could be sold in pairs with one of each size. But they are not. I think in part because they do not always wear evenly. Seems like they should since they are both wiping the same windshield at the same speed every time, but they don't - not always.

I am glad they do not. It would be hard to fork over $75 - $80 + after tax for wiper blades. At least buying them one at a time, they do not seem so outrageous. Plus as I mentioned, I often do not pay the premium for the passenger side. I might not buy Icon if I had to buy a pair. Even when they have sales, (buy one get one half off), I put one Icon on the drivers side and save the other one and then do the same with a pair of evolution.

Old 01-09-2018, 12:07 PM

20,867 posts, read 23,404,619 times
I use OEM on our Toyotas. Have tried different brands but have gone back to OEM. I get them from ebay. Cheaper than our local dealer.

Old 01-09-2018, 12:10 PM

17,103 posts, read 11,948,240 times
Rain-X blades have been the best in my experience and they're not that expensive.

Old 01-09-2018, 12:11 PM

17,385 posts, read 14,925,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post

I recall it back in the day.. But that was back before you had two different sized blades.. When it was more normal for a vehicle to have both wiper blades the same size. And it was generally the cheap-o blades that would be sold in a pair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive