Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 05:25 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,754,691 times

Advertisements

The car batteries in many new cars are smaller than they used to be in a quest for weight savings. My '80s BMW battery is at least 1/3 larger than the one in my 2016 Frontier. A car that sits for many months may have a drained battery.

I've also experienced that the original batteries don't seem to last much more than 3 years...but I drive my truck nearly 25,000 miles a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 05:59 PM

154 posts, read 176,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
The car batteries in many new cars are smaller than they used to be in a quest for weight savings. My '80s BMW battery is at least 1/3 larger than the one in my 2016 Frontier. A car that sits for many months may have a drained battery.

I've also experienced that the original batteries don't seem to last much more than 3 years...but I drive my truck nearly 25,000 miles a year.
Yep, they lowed the warranty on Costco Kirkland batteries from 8 years to 3.5 years when they switched to Interstate.

Old 01-09-2018, 06:06 PM

154 posts, read 176,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
As you haven't seen it yet, you can try to plug the vin in here and it may be able to return the build date.
https://www.vindecoderz.com/
Thanks for showing me that! Didn't have the date of manufacture, but I did learn what "8A" means!

Old 01-09-2018, 08:35 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I've never had an OEM battery fail. There are just a couple of battery manufacturers, so OEM is no different than what you get at Walmart, Sears, auto parts stores or the dealer. And batteries on new vehicles are under warranty for at least the first year.
Yes, and each mfg has three or four levels of quality. OEM gives you level 1. If you live in a really hot or really cold place you do not want level 1 or 2 or in many cases even 3

All OEM batteries fail. All batteries period eventually fail..

Old 01-09-2018, 08:41 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mileena202 View Post
I found a great deal on a new 2017 Toyota Sienna L at a Toyota dealer in Las Vegas with 3 miles on it. The salesman is going to have it inspected but says it needs a new battery. It has possibly been sitting on the lot since last January.

Should I be concerned that a brand-new Toyota needs a new battery even before it has been sold? I am considering not doing the wire transfer today and stopping the deal.
Nope. A car could sit for prolonged amounts of time at a dealer and not be started or even moved. So it’s not uncommon to have dead batteries. I sold a vehicle 8 had because I drove it so seldom the battery would die.
On my diesels I’m actually selling one because I simply don’t drive it and the batteries were replaced once already. So I'm gonna sell it.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:56 PM

1,440 posts, read 4,417,868 times
Had to visit a new car lot on business a couple of weeks back, before the big freeze. The entire sales staff was outside cleaning snow off the new car inventory and each salesperson had a jump pack. Watched for fifteen minutes or so and about half of the new cars needed a jump.

The point of the exercise seems to be moving the inventory from the snow covered lot to the already cleaned other side and then moving them back when that gets plowed. Cars sit, batteries die, no biggie.

Old 01-10-2018, 06:26 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,818,588 times
I bought my van in August 2015. It had been manufactured in November 2014. It was the last new 2015 model they sold at that dealer. Nobody wanted it. I bought it with 7 miles on it. It is now 3 years old and the battery did need to be replaced under warranty last year (actually 2016). Maybe it was because it sat for so long. I never thought about that until this thread.

Old 01-10-2018, 06:52 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,121,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I've never had an OEM battery fail. There are just a couple of battery manufacturers, so OEM is no different than what you get at Walmart, Sears, auto parts stores or the dealer. And batteries on new vehicles are under warranty for at least the first year.
It looks like you never worked at a dealer. Batteries fail all the time. In the showroom and on the lot. Let that happen a few times and it's new battery time.

Ford, Audi, Porsche---it doesn't matter. Replace the battery and move on.

Unless the car has been "punched", the new car warranty starts when it's purchased regardless of the manufacture date.

Old 01-10-2018, 06:54 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,121,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzwell View Post
Had to visit a new car lot on business a couple of weeks back, before the big freeze. The entire sales staff was outside cleaning snow off the new car inventory and each salesperson had a jump pack. Watched for fifteen minutes or so and about half of the new cars needed a jump.

The point of the exercise seems to be moving the inventory from the snow covered lot to the already cleaned other side and then moving them back when that gets plowed. Cars sit, batteries die, no biggie.
Exactly.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:47 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,042,790 times
First I was going to say maybe the battery froze in this cold weather we've had in the east but I see your in Las Vegas. Oh well. Possibly they swapped the original battery with another vehicle that needed a new battery and took that one and know it's bad. I wouldn't sweat it.

Sweat it. Vegas, get it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive