Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 12:33 PM

1,302 posts, read 2,947,352 times

Advertisements

regarding bigger rims and tires, that's a consequence of cars getting bigger and more powerful, thus requiring more grip, especially for the more powerful brakes that are now required for today's heavier cars.

and besides, the 20"s I have on my car are a vast aesthetic improvement over the factory 16" donuts that were originally on the car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 12:56 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
My Malibu has a tachometer even though it has an automatic transmission. I use it to help ensure I'm not giving it too much gas. At 70mph on flat road I average 2,000 rpm. I try to keep the rpms below 2,000 for normal driving conditions to help save gas.
I can hear my engine all the time, subconsciously, and instinctively know when the rpms are above optimum. Accelerating too slowly at low rpms wastes gas, while a moderately brisk startup gets you to gas-saving rolling speed more quickly.

My automatic Accord had a tach, an don't think I ever looked at, except as a mild curiosity. Then I got a stick-shift Sentra, which did not have one. Go figure.

Automatic locking doors---My stepdaughter went out to her car, cold snowy day, with her hands full. Opened the right side doors, reached across to start the car to warm up, buckled the baby in the car, and shut the door. You finish the story.

I think now, they have thought of that. If a Honda is started with nobody activating the weight sensor in the drivers seat, instead of locking all the doors, it sets off a car alarm that you didn't even know existed and can only be turned off after finding the owners manual, locating the correct nomenclature for the activity in the index, and reading the instructions.

Last edited by jtur88; 10-11-2010 at 01:17 PM..

Old 10-11-2010, 01:12 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
regarding bigger rims and tires, that's a consequence of cars getting bigger and more powerful, thus requiring more grip, especially for the more powerful brakes that are now required for today's heavier cars.

and besides, the 20"s I have on my car are a vast aesthetic improvement over the factory 16" donuts that were originally on the car.
Bigger rims certainly have their place. They generally provide for a lighter overall tire/rim package (though many OEM options don't reduce weight), they also allow more space for brakes, but I have yet to see a pedestrian sedan with brakes that required the clearance of more than 17" rims. The last piece is the reason it's done, aesthetics.

The grip notion is complete BS as grip is determined entirely by the tires design and contact patch. Rim size (in terms of height, width certainly impacts the tire size you can run) alone affords no greater contact patch nor does it allow you to mount larger tires. A 20" rim and tire can have the exact same tire contact patch as a 15" rim and tire. For isntance a Chevy Silverado with 17x8.5 rims and 275/70-17 tires has the exact same tire contact patch as one with 20x8.5 rims and 275/55-20 tires.

Again, I understand there is a place for larger rims, but even then once you get over 18" it is really hard to justify the larger size as being necessary as most 18's will clear even the largest brake packages and much more than 17's is completely unnecessary on a regular car.

Old 10-11-2010, 03:54 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
I know some of these are old posts, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
Remote control for the stereo in the dash????? How hard is it to lift your hand and just...touch it?
It's not about being lazy. I don't have to look at the radio to make the basic adjustments. I've long since memorized the buttons on the remote. It helps me be a better driver.

Also, I update the aftermarket radio in my truck every couple of years, just for fun. Since I seldom touch the faceplate, they always look brand new when I sell them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
Okay maybe I'm weird...but I actually look at maps before I go places??
Do you memorize them? Do you memorize all the streets in the destination city? That's where GPS comes in most handy, by me not having to figure out how to get around once I've reached the new city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I like it when it hit a puddle and can not see.
Good point. Trying to work the wipers while suddenly driving blind in traffic can be a challenge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azkadellia View Post
I'm going to agree on airbags. I've seen them do more harm than good. They can actually decapitate.
Anecdotal evidence at best. They've saved 10000 times more lives than they've taken.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
When you switch genres of music, it's a lot easier to tweak the equalizers, crossovers and filters from the remote than from leaning over and pushing the buttons. Rock vs. rap vs. country, etc sound the best at their own different settings. If you're not an audiophile, you'll never understand.
An audiophile doesn't use an EQ more than to set up the system initially, to be accurate within it's environment. That is what the EQ was originally meant to do. Changing EQ settings because of changing genres is absolutely anti-audiophile. A properly designed and tuned system will reproduce all music as it was recorded. That is the ultimate goal of audio products. Look at any higher end SQ competition car, and you won't see EQs that are easily accessible to the driver. (Real) Home systems don't have them either.

An excellent example is the EQs that so many people had in the 70's and early 80's. I can count on one hand the EQs I saw (hundreds; been in the A/V biz for over 25 years, and a hobbyist before that) that weren't set close to the smiley face setting. People wanted all their music to sound like rock-big bass, bright treble, suck out that pesky midrange.

Sounds to me like you're trying to make every genre of music sound like a single one. If you want classical music to sound like rock, that's fine. But it's definitely not an audiophile mentality.

Old 10-11-2010, 04:19 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
I know some of these are old posts, but...

It's not about being lazy. I don't have to look at the radio to make the basic adjustments. I've long since memorized the buttons on the remote. It helps me be a better driver.

Also, I update the aftermarket radio in my truck every couple of years, just for fun. Since I seldom touch the faceplate, they always look brand new when I sell them.

Do you memorize them? Do you memorize all the streets in the destination city? That's where GPS comes in most handy, by me not having to figure out how to get around once I've reached the new city.

Good point. Trying to work the wipers while suddenly driving blind in traffic can be a challenge.

Anecdotal evidence at best. They've saved 10000 times more lives than they've taken.

An audiophile doesn't use an EQ more than to set up the system initially, to be accurate within it's environment. That is what the EQ was originally meant to do. Changing EQ settings because of changing genres is absolutely anti-audiophile. A properly designed and tuned system will reproduce all music as it was recorded. That is the ultimate goal of audio products. Look at any higher end SQ competition car, and you won't see EQs that are easily accessible to the driver. (Real) Home systems don't have them either.

An excellent example is the EQs that so many people had in the 70's and early 80's. I can count on one hand the EQs I saw (hundreds; been in the A/V biz for over 25 years, and a hobbyist before that) that weren't set close to the smiley face setting. People wanted all their music to sound like rock-big bass, bright treble, suck out that pesky midrange.

Sounds to me like you're trying to make every genre of music sound like a single one. If you want classical music to sound like rock, that's fine. But it's definitely not an audiophile mentality.
I agree with you on the EQ but don't agree with the casual dismissal of paper maps. Like maps, GPS is a handy tool. A big difference between the two is you have to use your brain to read the map and then pay close attention to the road ahead while with GPS, it tells you what to do causing some drivers to turn off their brain and blindly trust the GPS unit. To so closely rely upon the GPS alone is to turn your brain off. One day I may use a GPS device when traveling long distance or to a city I've never been to before. In those cases I'll probably have a GPS app rather than buy a model just for that one trip alone. I did many travels before GPS was ever invented. Sometimes I got lost and some of those times it led me to a fantastic restaurant or a beautiful view of the mountains or lake. Not everyone is as clueless as the Griswalds (National Lampoon's Vacation).

Old 10-11-2010, 04:19 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebette View Post
It's not because we're lazy....it's a safety feature, so we can see to get to the door safely, instead of stumbling in the dark!!
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali&ajsmom View Post
I just bought a car and it has can cooler in the glove box and it cools them down 45 degrees. I can say that I will probly never use it. Don't need it I usually drink bottles of water and they are already cold. so to each there own.
Not a feature I'd ever use either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
This is more of a safety feature than a convenience feature. I use my remote all the time because I have the button positions memorized on the remote. That way I never have to take my eyes off the road or lean forward (which can misalign your steering) to fiddle with the stereo. I'd prefer steering wheel controls but a remote is the next best thing.

This is especially the case with today's highly complex head units -- in my "road-trip" car, for instance, I can choose my listening source from a CD slot, AM/FM, terrestrial HD radio, an auxiliary input jack, a USB port, or an iPod port. Plus equalizer settings, subwoofer output and crossover settings, display brightness, etc. etc. etc. To be honest, it's often easier to manipulate these things with the remote than trying to read out the tiny print on the tiny buttons on the head unit. This is true whether you're standing still or cruising down the highway, but in the latter case it's a lot safer to do it with the remote once you have the button positions memorized.
Very well put. It has nothing to do with being lazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbguy05 View Post
It all depends on where you live, where I live it can be extremely cold one day and extremely hot the next. So an automatic starter isn't going to do any good when you have your a/c blasting when coming home, and the next morning it's freezing cold and when you start your car (from inside your house of-course) that a/c is still going to be blasting. So you still have to go into the car to switch it to heat, thus defeating the purpose of the automatic starter.

Just because I find this feature annoying, doesn't mean I hate it. If I bought a car that came with it, I would definitely use it (and proudly), as with any technology that comes with a car in today's world. Yes, I may find some of the features silly or annoying, but they are there for a reason, and if anything are there to make our lives easier. Like a previous poster stated, yes I could live without these features (and have), but if they are there, they are nice to have.
Many vehicles have auto-temp functions, so they just bring the vehicle to a specific temp. As someone else said, if you don't have this feature you'd simply set the temp unit to whatever is needed for the next time you're going to use the cart. It's not rocket science. I've never had a vehicle with auto-temp, but have had remote starters on at least a dozen vehicles, The temp issue was never a problem.

One of my favorite features of auto-start systems is the ability to remove the key and lock the car while it's running. People with pets or kids can run into a convenience store, with their kids/pets and vehicle completely safe and climate controlled. I've found dozens of reasons to use this feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
No, because I've never had to replace one. So the cost for the convenience has certainly worked out in my favor. I'd bet that's also the case for most people here.
At least 50 power windows in my ownership history without a single failure. We hear about the few failures but no one ever says "my window motors never failed." Until now, I guess, since I said it. ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle grease View Post
Oil change lights and azz warmers. Who wants to fool around with some dumb light when you just change it when it needs changed? The azz warmers are retarded as well. How much of a p***y have men become lately? I can freeze my nuts off outside at work, I think I can sit on a seat that is a little cool!
If not for oil change lights, many people would never change their oil. Some people just don't pay attention to their cars.

Quote:
I always thought that was a stupid idea as well. Cool, it locks the doors so someone may or may not get you at a stoplight. Bad, it locks the doors when you don't want them locked and a stall on the railroad tracks with a train coming and or malfunction or going into the river and you can't get your doors open........ RETARDED IDEA!
I see the problem, since so many people stall on tracks or roll into rivers. I read about this. I think the article said 1 in 3 people will stall on tracks or roll into a river in their lives. And for some reason none of them could unlock their doors manually.

Please note the sarcasm in my response.

Old 10-11-2010, 04:31 PM

3,511 posts, read 5,304,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Exactly.

Not a feature I'd ever use either.

Very well put. It has nothing to do with being lazy.

Many vehicles have auto-temp functions, so they just bring the vehicle to a specific temp. As someone else said, if you don't have this feature you'd simply set the temp unit to whatever is needed for the next time you're going to use the cart. It's not rocket science. I've never had a vehicle with auto-temp, but have had remote starters on at least a dozen vehicles, The temp issue was never a problem.

One of my favorite features of auto-start systems is the ability to remove the key and lock the car while it's running. People with pets or kids can run into a convenience store, with their kids/pets and vehicle completely safe and climate controlled. I've found dozens of reasons to use this feature.

At least 50 power windows in my ownership history without a single failure. We hear about the few failures but no one ever says "my window motors never failed." Until now, I guess, since I said it. ;-)

If not for oil change lights, many people would never change their oil. Some people just don't pay attention to their cars.

I see the problem, since so many people stall on tracks or roll into rivers. I read about this. I think the article said 1 in 3 people will stall on tracks or roll into a river in their lives. And for some reason none of them could unlock their doors manually.

Please note the sarcasm in my response.
It happened to a friend's grandpa. It could happen to anyone! Not only that but in a wreck that cuts or kills power or they malfunction, do you want to be trapped inside if a fire were to start? I sure as hell wouldn't!

Old 10-11-2010, 04:34 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
Quote:
It happened to a friend's grandpa. It could happen to anyone! Not only that but in a wreck that cuts or kills power or they malfunction, do you want to be trapped inside if a fire were to start? I sure as hell wouldn't!
Both our cars have auto door locks but they don't engage unless in gear. In my car's case, I can manually unlock the doors should the power go out. With my wife's car's case, she can open the door either manually or by pulling on the door handle.

Old 10-11-2010, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Both our cars have auto door locks but they don't engage unless in gear. In my car's case, I can manually unlock the doors should the power go out. With my wife's car's case, she can open the door either manually or by pulling on the door handle.
All the ones I have seen do it at 15 MPH. Many still have just enough nub left to grab a hold of but in a stress situation are you going to remember that? I also always have one of these either on me or in the truck to slash a seat belt. They will slash that seat belt like it was butter in a fraction of a second. I'd recommend one highly to all. :: Spyderco Product Details ::

Old 10-11-2010, 04:58 PM

A glass breaker or glass breaking hammer/tool is also very nice to have. Ever try to kick the glass out of a modern tempered window? It isn't the easiest thing to do. One small whack with one of these and it is toast! Car Vehicle Emergency Glass Break Hammer Seatbelt Cutter, Emergency Car Hammer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive