Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 10:44 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,747,353 times

Advertisements

It's way too early in the process for this. Removing the ability for the human driver to take over in an emergency is dangerous, especially while the technology is still new. Not to mention the civil liberties implications. If only the computer can decide where the vehicle goes, who is controlling the computer? A big part of the idea behind the automobile is freedom and not being able to control it on your own is an anathema to that idea.

I used to be in favor of AI driven cars when I first heard about them, but then early on in the process google announced that they were going to remove human controls entirely and now GM is doing the same thing. They even call it a "significant step forward for self-driving" but I think it is the exact opposite. It makes me less open to the idea of buying one of these vehicles when they become available. I don't want my car telling me where I'm going to go and I don't want to be at the mercy of a computer if it malfunctions or receives instructions I did not authorize.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...driver-control
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 10:52 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,939,336 times
After driving through floods, hurricane wrecked streets, and a snow storm just a few months apart, there’s no way I’m driving a car with no controls. I had to go off script way too many times this year.

Old 01-12-2018, 01:10 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
It's way too early in the process for this. Removing the ability for the human driver to take over in an emergency is dangerous, especially while the technology is still new. Not to mention the civil liberties implications. If only the computer can decide where the vehicle goes, who is controlling the computer? A big part of the idea behind the automobile is freedom and not being able to control it on your own is an anathema to that idea.
I think you're engaging is baseless paranoia thinking a driverless car will kidnap you and take you somewhere you don't want to go, or refuse to go somewhere you instruct it to. Although there may be situations where both of those are desirable - to the honest law-abiding person. For example, you're car gets stolen and is instructed to return home, or you're in despair and the car refuses to drive into a concrete post at high speed. But if you think society is going to reach the point where someone else is going to control your car then they are going to be controlling every other aspect of your life as well so manual/AI driven cars will make no difference.

Old 01-12-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
After driving through floods, hurricane wrecked streets, and a snow storm just a few months apart, there’s no way I’m driving a car with no controls. I had to go off script way too many times this year.
So your opposition is that you don't believe the AI can competently navigate the "off script" conditions? That's a fair point because currently it can't. But if it does and can demonstrate that conclusively, will you then accept it or just find some other basis to oppose it?

Old 01-12-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
So your opposition is that you don't believe the AI can competently navigate the "off script" conditions? That's a fair point because currently it can't. But if it does and can demonstrate that conclusively, will you then accept it or just find some other basis to oppose it?
Nope, I'm the biggest AI cheerleader, but I'm going to always want a manual override. I'll decide when the car can't handle something, not the car.

Old 01-12-2018, 01:44 PM

I do think removing controls now is premature and will be a big mistake from a marketing and consumer acceptance standpoint. Getting the public to fully accept and trust them will take generations. The older generation now will probably never trust them. The youner generation now may grow to trust them for the most part. But it will be the generations born into them in the future that will have full trust.

Old 01-12-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I do think removing controls now is premature and will be a big mistake from a marketing and consumer acceptance standpoint. Getting the public to fully accept and trust them will take generations. The older generation now will probably never trust them. The youner generation now may grow to trust them for the most part. But it will be the generations born into them in the future that will have full trust.
I agree.
I'm an engineer. I love AI, I love technology, I'm an early adopter, and I planned my current lease based on the theoretical timeline for a driverless car to become more mainstream, and I still won't trust a car without controls. If I'm not sold, then they've got a long ways to go with the other 99%.

Its not just hazardous driving conditions, but certain normal traffic conditions require you to roll down the window and beg the guy in the car in the lane next to yours' to let you in, otherwise you're spending the night in the blocked lane. I can't see a robot doing that.

Old 01-12-2018, 02:44 PM

25 posts, read 20,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Nope, I'm the biggest AI cheerleader, but I'm going to always want a manual override. I'll decide when the car can't handle something, not the car.
Just playing devil's advocate here but...is this not the case any time you're a passenger in a vehicle? Riding shotgun, sitting backseat, on a bus, in an Uber, etc? Unless you're constantly thinking "At any moment I may have to grab the wheel from whatever imbecile is piloting this death wagon!"

Old 01-12-2018, 04:47 PM

2,028 posts, read 1,650,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dak3 View Post
Just playing devil's advocate here but...is this not the case any time you're a passenger in a vehicle? Riding shotgun, sitting backseat, on a bus, in an Uber, etc? Unless you're constantly thinking "At any moment I may have to grab the wheel from whatever imbecile is piloting this death wagon!"
I pretty sure that's what my wife is always thinking when she rides with me!

Old 01-12-2018, 06:41 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,355,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post

I used to be in favor of AI driven cars when I first heard about them, but then early on in the process google announced that they were going to remove human controls entirely and now GM is doing the same thing. They even call it a "significant step forward for self-driving" but I think it is the exact opposite. It makes me less open to the idea of buying one of these vehicles when they become available. I don't want my car telling me where I'm going to go and I don't want to be at the mercy of a computer if it malfunctions or receives instructions I did not authorize.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...driver-control
Lucky for us you're just some know-nothing on city data and won't decide the fate of driverless cars.

The idea behind the automobile is not freedom. It's moving things/individuals from point A to point B in less time or over longer distances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive