Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 06:25 PM

19 posts, read 20,834 times

Advertisements

Any ideas? I don't really know anything about vans or what's "good" and which ones to avoid.

I've been floating the idea of getting a large/cargo type van for my next daily driver instead of another SUV. My Jeep is getting up there in miles at over 170k now and I'm thinking the time is coming to get a new vehicle before it loses too much more value. Currently drive a 2006 Jeep Cherokee but thinking ahead I like the idea of the van for it's versatility and the ability to use it as a "backup home". I imagine such a van that is able to host a "sleep area" in the back would come in handy when I move to a warmer state.

Currently living with some roommates in Englewood, CO so thankfully have no lease "tying me down", but winter is coming soon and I'm thinking for the new year it might be a good idea to just ditch this over-priced Colorado scene altogether and live somewhere else, somewhere nicer and warmer. I'm almost 6'4" so there's also that to consider. What are some good choices in the used van category for a person of my stature? My current Jeep is "ok" for it's purpose as a daily driver, although I do feel a bit cramped in there, the roof-line is awfully low and my head grazes the cabin ceiling... I couldn't imagine sleeping comfortably in my Jeep, it's just too small given my size.

Not really interested in RV's or campers, I've heard those are huge money-pits and many of them also require a big gas guzzling truck to haul around (which i don't have), and they are also excessive for my simple purposes. I'll just need a safe place to sleep should i decide to "live in it" for a week or two (should such a scenario arise), that's the idea I had in mind. I don't really have any interest in the part about the big gas guzzling truck, I imagine some sort of van is "good enough" for my needs.

Something else i like about the van idea is it "blends in" well in most places, doesn't really stand out much especially if it's one of those "commercial" type vans. To most people, there isn't much suspicious about some random unmarked van parked in a public area or parking lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2017, 08:34 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,261,600 times
How do you figure sleeping "safely" in a cargo van? Where? Where is heat, water, sanitation and all the rest come from? And what if somebody breaks in and kills you. And about "blending in", you mean like this?

Old 10-19-2017, 09:37 PM

25,557 posts, read 17,263,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousOgre View Post
Any ideas? I don't really know anything about vans or what's "good" and which ones to avoid.

I've been floating the idea of getting a large/cargo type van for my next daily driver instead of another SUV. My Jeep is getting up there in miles at over 170k now and I'm thinking the time is coming to get a new vehicle before it loses too much more value. Currently drive a 2006 Jeep Cherokee but thinking ahead I like the idea of the van for it's versatility and the ability to use it as a "backup home". I imagine such a van that is able to host a "sleep area" in the back would come in handy when I move to a warmer state.

Currently living with some roommates in Englewood, CO so thankfully have no lease "tying me down", but winter is coming soon and I'm thinking for the new year it might be a good idea to just ditch this over-priced Colorado scene altogether and live somewhere else, somewhere nicer and warmer. I'm almost 6'4" so there's also that to consider. What are some good choices in the used van category for a person of my stature? My current Jeep is "ok" for it's purpose as a daily driver, although I do feel a bit cramped in there, the roof-line is awfully low and my head grazes the cabin ceiling... I couldn't imagine sleeping comfortably in my Jeep, it's just too small given my size.

Not really interested in RV's or campers, I've heard those are huge money-pits and many of them also require a big gas guzzling truck to haul around (which i don't have), and they are also excessive for my simple purposes. I'll just need a safe place to sleep should i decide to "live in it" for a week or two (should such a scenario arise), that's the idea I had in mind. I don't really have any interest in the part about the big gas guzzling truck, I imagine some sort of van is "good enough" for my needs.

Something else i like about the van idea is it "blends in" well in most places, doesn't really stand out much especially if it's one of those "commercial" type vans. To most people, there isn't much suspicious about some random unmarked van parked in a public area or parking lot.
You're talking about "stealth camping" and there are lots of people who do it.
Google up the term and do some reading. If you are young and adventurous you will find something that appeals to you.
https://rvshare.com/blog/stealth_camping/

Old 10-19-2017, 09:53 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,484,481 times
There is an RV forum here on CD. I think it's under camping. You might want to check that out. I know there are some posters there who live at least part time in their vehicles.

Old 10-20-2017, 01:54 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,413,404 times
MB Sprinter, Ford Transit (the big one, not the connect) and Ram ProMaster are the 3 most commonly used "big" vans where someone can reasonably stand up inside (I'm 6'4", have a 2003 Sprinter and can stand at a stoop, it's about 6'2" inside). I have a full Queen sized bed in mine, so plenty of room to comfortably sleep.

Problem is I wouldn't recommend a Sprinter to anyone who's not a mechanic. They're a nightmare of small issues that aren't really a big deal to fix (I'm having a stalling issue right now, seems to be a fuel pressure solenoid that costs $12 to repair with the factory kit ~ a dealer would charge the $400+ for just the unit plus labor). The other 2 options can be found for under $15k, but you'll be buying into a Very high mile commercial vehicle, most of which were designed for about 200k of usable life.

The Next option is simply a normal van. No standing room, but you can Still fit a queen sized bed in one. Luck into an extended model and you can have some usable storage as well. They have all the reliability of an American made vehicle (if not for bad luck, I'd have none at all with the Big-3), but come with the cheap parts and readily available cheap service too.

As for the "break in and murder you" quack reply, it's a completely unfounded fear. It's more dangerous to go to a concert or movie than to sleep in a vehicle. I can't even remember ONE instance of that issues being posted on any of the forums I frequent. Lots of break-ins to stell stuff, a handfull to steal the vehicle, but zero with injury or death.

Keeping warm in colder places is a challenge, but simple insulation and a few covers are fine to just below freezing and there are options that would keep you comfortable to -40. The bigger issue is keeping cool when it's warm, Much harder to do. No need for sanitation (free bathrooms Everywhere), showers are easily handled (24-hour Fitness membership ~ or any other gym of your choice), no need for running water, or cooking inside. Actually, the less of that you have the more flexibility you're afforded with far less headache. I carry a 5-gallon water jug with a hand pump for my water needs.

Obviously I've done what you're talking about, for fun as I own a house rather than as a Substitute for a house as is the trend with 20-something's these days. A month with my wife was easy, we're doing 2 months in 2018 and I know some people who've been doing it for years straight... without bathroom, shower (other than a black jug/bag), or "running" water. It's an adjustment, takes making a Lot of concessions, but it's not like it's a new thing. People have been doing it since the end of WWII.

Old 10-20-2017, 02:50 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,693 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Used Roadtrek (I prefer the Dodge Chassis with 5.2 (318))

great resale...very good service (long life, good components)
toilet, shower, Microwave, fridg...

$5k - $50k (quite nice ones for $12k if you dig (Good time of yr to buy is NOW - Feb))

I love my MOTORAIDE (Non-Roadtrek ... HW heater using engine heat = QUICK showers and boiling water for soup / tea. )

Old 10-20-2017, 05:06 AM

7,179 posts, read 9,309,123 times
Cheapest solution would be a used Dodge Grand Caravan. The cargo area will hold a 4' by 8' plywood slab so it has enough space for a good sized mattress even with the lift-gate closed.

Evidently, young women are horrified by the image of driving a mini-van (especially a Dodge) so you can find a really good price on a used one.

To learn about it and to fix it, read these forums The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums

Old 10-20-2017, 05:29 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times
Living in a van isnt for every one,it can be hot as an oven and kinda boring as you have virtually no living space so you just sit around outside/inside the van, cops will also be a hassle as they view people living in such circumstances as vagrants.
Rent a cargo van for a week and live in it, you'll find out quick whether a full-time van lifestyle is for you or not.

Old 10-20-2017, 06:52 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
Get a converted Chevy express. With a nice conversion it will have a bench bed in the back, a tv dvd game counsole jack, fridge, all kinds of mood lighting with switches in the back etc. It depends on which conversion you find. The express is a generally decent van.

Minians are cramped and the most unreliable vehicles I have ever had (Dodge versions). I have not been inside the Ford Transit, but my Sons crew teams uses them for travel. He hates them. He said the use of space inside is terrible and they have awful engines and transmissions.

Your best bet would be to find an old bobtail truck and convert it, or get a pickup with a camper in the bed. Something made for sliding in is going to be far better than anything you can rig up.

My other brother and a friend lived in a VW vanagon for a while. They enjoyed it until they got sick of it.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:03 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,412,863 times
Hers a nice Ford that you can live in.

Last edited by easy62; 10-09-2019 at 07:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive