Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 04:29 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,060,189 times

Advertisements

Just had the brakes "done" about a year ago. Not sure what "done" means. But I sat there for 3 hours while they "did it."

Now, occasionally, my foot goes almost to the floor when braking. It's a very scary feeling and I am wondering what the heck is going on. Don't want to get ripped off, but I am going to take the car in to get some kind of explanation. Any help here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2018, 04:37 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,086,067 times
Your master break cylinder might be failing.

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...aster-cylinder

Quote:
A bad brake master cylinder may result in a pedal that feels mushy, spongy, or that slowly sinks to the floor when depressed.

Old 01-14-2018, 04:49 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,199,941 times
Could be a leak somewhere.

If it is the master cylinder, I would make sure they put in a new one and not a rebuild. I have had the same problem with rebuilt master cylinders in the past, so I no longer go that route.

Old 01-14-2018, 05:05 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,989,003 times
Knowledge is best.

Next time any mechanical work to be done ask to view the problem/issue. Might be a good idea to take a friend along.
Ask to see any new parts and ask to take the old parts with you. Even if going to throw away back home.

Of course you need to find a good honest local mechanic/shop.

Old 01-14-2018, 06:05 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,076,689 times
Could be two things. Wheel caliper/cylinder is failing/leaking. Look behind the wheels for wet oily spots. Master cylinder is failing. When you press the pedal, fluid is passing by the 'o' rings. If it's bad, fluid will be on the rod [behind the boot] that passing through the firewall, brake pedal to master cylinder. A small leak will not cause the dash warning light to come on.

Old 01-14-2018, 06:45 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,060,189 times
Oh great. I want to sell this car (soon) and get a new one. Can I drive it this way or do I HAVE to fix it? It doesn't happen all the time. TIA

Old 01-14-2018, 08:51 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,233,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Oh great. I want to sell this car (soon) and get a new one. Can I drive it this way or do I HAVE to fix it? It doesn't happen all the time. TIA
Do you always know WHEN it's going to happen?

Of course not. Get the thing fixed yesterday.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:59 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
You’re gonna have to fix it dude. What happens if you’re driving and you start braking and your foot goes to the floor and you can’t stop. Now you may wreck and hurt yourself, someone innocent or both.
The reason it’s happening is your booster or something is leaking or losing vacuum. It could be as simple as a vacuum hose leaking off the booster or yo7 May have a leaking wheel cylinder or bad caliper

Old 01-14-2018, 09:13 PM

2,151 posts, read 3,590,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
You’re gonna have to fix it dude. What happens if you’re driving and you start braking and your foot goes to the floor and you can’t stop. Now you may wreck and hurt yourself, someone innocent or both.
The reason it’s happening is your booster or something is leaking or losing vacuum. It could be as simple as a vacuum hose leaking off the booster or yo7 May have a leaking wheel cylinder or bad caliper
Such misinformation! A brake booster that is failing or has a vacuum leak does not cause the pedal to go to the floor. It will cause a very hard and a high brake pedal but which requires extreme effort for even moderate brake application. If you want to verify this just pull the hose off the brake booster in your car and you will see.

Don in Austin

Old 01-14-2018, 10:27 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
Such misinformation! A brake booster that is failing or has a vacuum leak does not cause the pedal to go to the floor. It will cause a very hard and a high brake pedal but which requires extreme effort for even moderate brake application. If you want to verify this just pull the hose off the brake booster in your car and you will see.

Don in Austin
Ok well there you go. Whatever is causing it be it a leak, bad booster, air bubble or air entering the system get it checked out before you wreck your car. Could be the brake booster check valve. Not sure if those are replaceable. Maybe Don knows

I had a car with a leaking rear drum brake wheel cylinder leaking but that just made a big mess and I lost some brake feel. But it was a old truck and it had ****ty brakes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive