Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 06:22 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,764,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Well 0-60 is a pretty good indicator of 40-60 and 60-80 too.
Just might be true for most modern cars of reasonable quality, but you'd be surprised how many cars are much quicker at rolling acceleration than they are from a standing start. Economy gearing/programming, tires selected for mileage and ride over hookup, just a poor design for a fast launch... can be real apples and oranges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2018, 06:29 PM

17,623 posts, read 17,682,949 times
It’s just a measured point to use as part of a comparison. Some magazines talk about the “seat of the pants” feel because of how the car delivers the acceleration and cornering or rough road feel, things that can’t be measured. I want as much data as possible to help make an informed choice.

Old 01-15-2018, 06:31 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,017,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Just might be true for most modern cars of reasonable quality, but you'd be surprised how many cars are much quicker at rolling acceleration than they are from a standing start. Economy gearing/programming, tires selected for mileage and ride over hookup, just a poor design for a fast launch... can be real apples and oranges.

Used to get asked "how fast is your Chevelle?"........my answer;"get in and when I start burning rubber.........just try to touch the dashboard before I get to 100 MPH"

Old 01-15-2018, 07:25 PM

604 posts, read 653,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Any car can maintain a steady speed. I've gotten past semis in my "slow" car.

Help me understand. If there are two semis in a row, doing about 65. If I drive 75 mph in my "slow" car, I will still pass them. If someone is in a "fast" car doing 75, they will pass them also, but a few seconds faster than me. If the goal is to pass, then both cars met the goal. Why does is matter that one car did it a few seconds faster? What am I missing?

Acceleration rates do not prevent cars from passing each other.
What you're missing is that the semis will will create a long line behind them. Then you have the righteous car driver going in parallel with the semis at the same speed while hogging the passing lane.

I for one avoid to be trapped driving for miles behind a slowpoke on the passing lane while looking at the 18 wheeler tires on my right side...

Here my sport sedans comes in handy to get away the second I see an opening. And here the top response and handling between 60 to 90 is what really matters to me.

I have avoided accidents many time due to the responsive sedan I had been driving (over 50K miles per year). Once in a while due my travel budget I'm forced to rent a slow response sedan and hate it with passion, I feel insecure when driving.

For me the perfect driving sedan is the one that feels one with your body, no delay in response or lag in handling. After more than 35 years of driving numerous cars, I have finally found it in the 911 and very close in the 335d (tuned).

Old 01-15-2018, 07:36 PM

6,559 posts, read 7,139,634 times
It’s a simple number for car enthusiasts. The lower the number, more fun, more scary. The number mine runs, my next vehicle has to be faster and I’m in the 3’s now. Next one is in the 2’s. My rule I follow, careless what anyone thinks of it. And yes I run my number often, pointless to have what I do and not use it.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:02 PM

118 posts, read 86,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
Used to get asked "how fast is your Chevelle?"........my answer;"get in and when I start burning rubber.........just try to touch the dashboard before I get to 100 MPH"

Ohh. I heard it this way back in the 1970's. "If you can grab that $10 bill taped to the dash before I hit 70. It's yours...."

But I never saw the guy or the car. It was always hearsay. "I knew a guy..."

TU

Old 01-16-2018, 02:38 AM

17,623 posts, read 17,682,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooluser View Post
Ohh. I heard it this way back in the 1970's. "If you can grab that $10 bill taped to the dash before I hit 70. It's yours...."

TU
Allegedly it started with Carrol Shelby with his Cobra 427.

Old 01-16-2018, 05:18 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28079 View Post
What you're missing is that the semis will will create a long line behind them. Then you have the righteous car driver going in parallel with the semis at the same speed while hogging the passing lane.
If there is a car going parallel to the line of semis and you are behind that car, how will your car being "faster" help you? You are blocked in regardless of your available acceleration speed.

How do you know that the one car going parallel can't pass the semis? Maybe the driver wants to drive at that speed. Even a basic car has the ability to go 80, 90+. That would pass most semis. So this entire scenario has nothing to do with acceleration speed. All cars can accelerate, period.

Old 01-16-2018, 07:05 AM

604 posts, read 653,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
If there is a car going parallel to the line of semis and you are behind that car, how will your car being "faster" help you? You are blocked in regardless of your available acceleration speed.

How do you know that the one car going parallel can't pass the semis? Maybe the driver wants to drive at that speed. Even a basic car has the ability to go 80, 90+. That would pass most semis. So this entire scenario has nothing to do with acceleration speed. All cars can accelerate, period.
You need to drive a true sport sedan first and then we'll see if you'll make same statement.
Gotta experience it first to understand the difference.

Old 01-16-2018, 07:20 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,017,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooluser View Post

TU

Mine was no myth..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive