Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 09:13 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,160,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28079 View Post
Thanks for feedback!

Top 100 quickest braking cars and bikes from 60 mph 2018 - FastestLaps.com

Hard to keep up with latest, here is another one - supposedly 2018...
I don't think the first 7 on the list are production... The 8th, The Viper? I thought they were OUT of production. If it is production (not race), I would have never thought it would top a list like this with a V10 up front.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 09:30 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,237,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28079 View Post
depends on which 911 and which corvette...

to my knowledge, best of 911 is better then best of Corvette (of course price is higher for the 911, so not quite same thing).
And it's always been that way. The top 911 (usually the top several models) beat and exceed the best Corvette. But that's what you get for paying double the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
No. He's talking about the NEW 991 GT2RS that currently holds the Nurburgring record. Take a GT3, lighten it even further, then add the more powerful engine from the 911 turbo S, make that even more powerful, put it all together, and go set records instantly with it.

Old 01-16-2018, 10:40 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,241,848 times
From a safety perspective, passing (overtaking) ability is the most important acceleration statistic. I drive a Dodge Charger Hellcat which has an unbelievable ability to pass quickly. It's 0-60 is not as good as many cars that are slower overall due to those cars having 4 wd.

0-60 is probably an overrated stat although it's still a pretty good barometer to measure how quickly cars get up to highway speeds.

Some guys were mentioning braking which of course is the most critical ability a car must have.

Old 01-16-2018, 10:52 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,694,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
Did you not see the picture I posted of ONE of the onramps on the Merritt Parkway in CT? There are examples of that all over the country where you have to go from a stop to freeway speeds in a few yards or risk getting hit due to limited sightlines. Slow cars are dangerous in places like that.

http://i.imgur.com/q0p5XV1.png

http://ww3.hdnux.com/photos/34/72/71.../1024x1024.jpg

http://ww3.hdnux.com/photos/37/02/16.../1024x1024.jpg

I've driven in these sorts of places. It's obvious you have not.
Lol, clearly you're an impatient driver. Coming out of these example places you have shown you do not need to hit 60mph in 5 secs, in fact that would cause more accidents. I've driven in those examples and it's better to have a clear way for you to pull out at your own pace than have to drag race which puts a lot of wear on your tires. I had a Subaru WRX STI and I have no issues hitting 0-60 in under 5 secs and I rarely ever needed to perform a hard launch in normal driving situations.

Old 01-17-2018, 03:35 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,501,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Lol, clearly you're an impatient driver. Coming out of these example places you have shown you do not need to hit 60mph in 5 secs, in fact that would cause more accidents. I've driven in those examples and it's better to have a clear way for you to pull out at your own pace than have to drag race which puts a lot of wear on your tires. I had a Subaru WRX STI and I have no issues hitting 0-60 in under 5 secs and I rarely ever needed to perform a hard launch in normal driving situations.
Exactly. None of those scenarios require being up to full speed in 5 seconds. Use your brain. Don't you think the engineers designing highways know the acceleration speed of the average car? They don't design roads to be intentionally dangerous.

In the examples with the stop signs, a driver won't move forward unless the oncoming traffic is clear. After traffic clears and the driver pulls out, they have enough time to reasonably accelerate. It doesn't all have to happen in 5 seconds. Any driver behind you will have to adjust. That is to be expected when driving in the right lane with on ramps.

Old 01-17-2018, 05:17 AM

17,614 posts, read 17,649,156 times
I prefer reading the entire article rather than focus exclusively on the numbers. You get a sense of the type of acceleration. Many entry level compact class and smaller vehicles offer quick acceleration up until around 45 MPH. Around that point (varies based upon brand and model) the rate of acceleration drops off. They can still get to highway speeds and pass on the highway but at a lower rate of acceleration. Some vehicles like the turbo Saabs offered OK acceleration 0-60 but where they shined was their passing acceleration on the highway. I haven’t driven today’s midsize turbo sedans so I don’t know if they offer similar passing acceleration. I do know the early turbo cars accelerated slowly until the turbo spooled up and then launched with a jolt trying to tear the steering wheel out your hand in horrible torque steer.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:29 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,090,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

Did you not see that there are LIMITED SIGHTLINES and that you CAN'T SEE CARS COMING OVER THE RISE??? Jesus. You need to be able to pull out and get up to speed quickly (most cars are going 70 there, not 55) so you don't CAUSE AN ACCIDENT! If you wait for a goddamn invitation to pull out at "your own pace" you'll be there a LONG time and a LOT of drivers BEHIND YOU will be PISSED OFF.

As I sad YOU'VE OBVIOUSLY NEVER HAD TO DRIVE THERE!

Just admit your ignorance and move the **** on.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:33 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,090,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
In the examples with the stop signs, a driver won't move forward unless the oncoming traffic is clear. After traffic clears and the driver pulls out, they have enough time to reasonably accelerate. It doesn't all have to happen in 5 seconds. Any driver behind you will have to adjust. That is to be expected when driving in the right lane with on ramps.

You've obviously never driven there, either. You don't HAVE time to wait and dawdle. You can't SEE if there are cars coming up over the rise or around the corner in your lane and if you pull out like a damn snail you're gonna get hit as drivers are going 70 mph there. EVEN IF you wait until you THINK you are clear, you most likely won't be (and you'll be waiting a LONG TIME on the busy parkways that have these onramps). And when you get hit, it won't be much comfort to know you were in the right when you're in the hospital.

Just admit you know NOTHING and get off the road.

Old 01-17-2018, 07:43 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,014,781 times
This 0-60 stuff does not just depend on horse power.... its also your differential ratio and transmission......

In that old Chevelle I had I put a 4:10 positraction rear end in it.........top end was only about 125 MPH......but I got there a lot faster than say a 3:55.........

Old 01-17-2018, 08:49 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,117,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
I was bored at work during the holidays and was looking at 0-60 videos of probably close to 50+ cars.

Most 0-60 times are not realistic, as NO ONE gets to a stop light or while driving, right before they plan to pass, tells all the passengers to exit the car, decides to shift to Sport mode, turn off the traction control, turn off the AC and Torque brakes to get the best acceleration.

The auto magazines now make 0-60 such a important thing now, many people will pick a car over another based on that and say a car is slow if it does 0-60 in 7-8 seconds when we said that was very fast just 10 years ago. If a car can make it to 60 in under 8 seconds, it is not slow, as slow is 9-10 second range. Most cars when you simply press the gas and go fall into the 7-8 second range and are not hitting 6-6.5 seconds when driving the way you would from a stop.

When it comes to real world driving 0-45 is more realistic, as many streets have a 35-55mph speed limit and midrange passing once the car is up to speed, and you can see by most of these 0-60 videos that most cars will meet that 0-45 need. Its the 45mph and onwards where some of these heavy cars carrying a 4cyl or a poorly geared 6cyl becomes a dog when pressed for midrange or expressway passing even actual passengers are in the car. An Impala 2.5 or Camry 2.5 or Fusion 1.5 and other 4cyl's will meets its purpose in the city and make you think twice about passing when you have passengers with you at higher speeds.

With all being said, dont let 0-60 be a main factor of your car purchase, as manufacturers gear their cars specifically for that when you look at alot of these videos and the car is a complete downer to drive in most other situations since they are geared for fuel economy now. IF you can comfortably get up to speed or pass without cursing and praying, the car will meet your needs since 90% of your driving is 2-4K rpm and not 5000-7500rpm.
You're right, but those figures are what the dreamers use to compare fast cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive