Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 09:26 PM

8,553 posts, read 10,978,234 times

Advertisements

Currently there is a thread about vehicle names that probably will never be again, and I thought it might be fun to come up with a name you would like to see on a vehicle.
I use to like the names Lincoln had for it's vehicles until the "MX" craze took over the brand.

Names obviously depend on the vehicle they are attached too.
I think any luxury vehicle would benefit with the name "Colinard".

Lincoln Colinard
Cadillac Colinard
Lexus Colinard
Bentley Colinard

I think it speaks luxury.

Bob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2018, 04:29 AM

5,672 posts, read 5,879,977 times
Always thought "Sphere" would be a good name for a smart car.

Old 01-17-2018, 05:05 AM

17,619 posts, read 17,665,401 times
Not an easy task. Some brands named vehicles after cities, some after types of swords, and some after names associated with space thanks to NASA and the space race. Some models were named after animals. Today’s youth have no idea about names of swords and don’t seem interested in space names. I like vehicles named after animals as long as the nature of the vehicle matches the nature of the animal. Some of the best examples was the Studebaker Hawk and Ford Mustang. If Lincoln would develop a RWD luxury sport coupe they could bring back the Cougar name.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:45 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,091,578 times
Something to think about names, is that they are often trademarked, and owned by competitors. All the big 3 have a list of names they have trademarked and own that they COULD use, and others cannot. And then there's all the names that mean something else that are questionable.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2013...r-than-ever-to

Quote:
Name changes are nothing to undertake lightly, says Larry Dominique, president of the industry valuation company ALG Inc. and former product planning head for Nissan Americas. "The rule of thumb is that introducing a new car costs you $100 million in advertising," Dominique says. "But if you have to introduce it under a new name, it will cost you $200 million."

Some part of every ad dollar must be diverted into making sure the consumer knows what this newly named thing is, where it belongs in the portfolio and what it does, he says.

"The key question is awareness," he says. "How much is it going to cost you to make people aware of your name? Not just to have a positive association with it but to simply recognize what it is as a product in the marketplace."

Old 01-17-2018, 06:58 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Not an easy task. Some brands named vehicles after cities, some after types of swords, and some after names associated with space thanks to NASA and the space race. Some models were named after animals. Today’s youth have no idea about names of swords and don’t seem interested in space names. I like vehicles named after animals as long as the nature of the vehicle matches the nature of the animal. Some of the best examples was the Studebaker Hawk and Ford Mustang. If Lincoln would develop a RWD luxury sport coupe they could bring back the Cougar name.
Cougar should be an older feminine looking car that chases after newer mustangs and Camaros.

Old 01-17-2018, 07:46 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
One of my favorites is the Blastolene Special.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blastolene_Special

Old 01-17-2018, 07:47 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
If GM ever chooses to develop a sporty flying-car, Corvair would be perfect.

Old 01-17-2018, 12:19 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,183,418 times
Vroom?

Old 01-17-2018, 12:26 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,526,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
Something to think about names, is that they are often trademarked, and owned by competitors.<>
I Have Heard that many years ago when NORML came into being the tobacco companies went and gathered copyrights on all the good dope names. I know Hershey Chocolate has hundreds of potential candybar names secured. I had a friend back in PA and that was part of his job.
I'm sure there are marketing types who sit around and dream up car names all day.
"And make sure no obscenities get published, like ***Taurus"

Old 01-17-2018, 12:57 PM

19,029 posts, read 27,592,838 times
Musky
Electron (hmm, that actually sounds nice)
I-Drive
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive