Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 06:11 PM

513 posts, read 580,593 times

Advertisements

When I'm driving my car it seems like I can't go more than five minutes without another driver trying to run me off the road, maim me, or kill me for sport. In other words, other drivers treat me like I'm gum on the bottom of their shoe. On the other hand when I'm driving my SUV, other drivers treat me like I'm the Pope. What gives? Why is my life disposable when I'm driving a car, but when I'm driving an SUV I'm regarded as royalty?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 06:22 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,364,856 times
Confirmation bias. I doubt they're treating you any differently, especially given your hyperbole. Trying to run you off the road and maim or kill you every five minutes? Right.

Old 01-22-2018, 06:31 PM

730 posts, read 1,656,574 times
What kind of vehicle is the car?

Is it an expensive sports car that people hate you because they want it?

Or are you driving a Hugo or a Ford Pinto?

Old 01-22-2018, 06:36 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,102,410 times
Could just feel that way due to how high you're sitting. Low to the ground and seeing bumpers will do that to you some times. I used to think like that, now I just know to keep my distance and leave an out any time I feel like I'm getting squeezed in.
Of course riding my motorcycle home this afternoon, some genius pulled out in front of me and I had to power swerve around him into the other lane. I was still going the speed limit after that, but he slowed down considerably to the point where he was keeping well away from me after his little misjudgment.

Old 01-22-2018, 06:53 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,666,242 times
If it's a nice new car people could just assume you are motivated to not let it get messed up (cut you off ect).
Traffic in front of a business I frequent often gets backed up to the point you could wait 2 hrs to exit the lot at times if I wasn't willing to stick the front of my car between vehicles that are parked waiting for the light. Honestly I will wait for a vehicle/drive combo unlikely to challenge this. Women with late model BMWs or similar cars have never failed to allow me to merge. GRANTED this is ALL taking place with parked vehicles...I DO NOT force my way thru moving traffic, intentioally cut people off ect.

Old 01-22-2018, 07:16 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uk_wUT1CvWM

Old 01-22-2018, 07:40 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,767,759 times
It depends, I think size matters in this case. I know while driving eveyday for Uber, the most aggressive A-Hole drivers are people in trucks especially lifted, some SUV drivers, mustang drivers, BMW drivers, and small imports.

These are the worst drivers at cutting you off, but I think people that drive large SUV’s are less likely to get cut off and tailgated, because of the size differences for sure.

Old 01-22-2018, 08:22 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,196,756 times
The Pope drove a Fiat and they always let him merge because they liked his hat. I find the same (what you are experiencing) to be true concerning the type of vehicle. Somehow in our subconcious minds, we have embedded biases based on the particular vehicle. If you are in a hoopty, they give you plenty of room and assume you are one step away from the demolishion derby. If you have a nice sports car, you will probably be the one to yield. I think there are assumptions about drivers and their actions based on the gender identify of the car.

Old 01-22-2018, 08:25 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchBarlow View Post
When I'm driving my car it seems like I can't go more than five minutes without another driver trying to run me off the road, maim me, or kill me for sport. In other words, other drivers treat me like I'm gum on the bottom of their shoe. On the other hand when I'm driving my SUV, other drivers treat me like I'm the Pope. What gives? Why is my life disposable when I'm driving a car, but when I'm driving an SUV I'm regarded as royalty?
Call 911 ASAP. It sounds like a gang of homicidal maniacs is trying to kill you by running you off the road. Either that or you are just paranoid. In which case you should probably get some help for that.

Old 01-22-2018, 08:29 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,233,863 times
In my own experience, there's a spectrum, and both ends are good places to be. In the middle, not so much. I drive a Mercedes E550 as my daily driver, it's a nice car, but in terms of "respect" given by other drivers to me, it's no better than the average Toyota or Ford sedan.

My fun car though, is a Porsche 911 turbo. I do notice that most people are more careful around me, if they are behind me, they don't follow too close, and if they are ahead of me and I'm moving up beside them, they wait until after I've passed if they want to move into my lane, etc. Whether they respect the car or just don't want to get involved in an expensive accident with me, I don't know, but the behavior of other drivers towards me is much better than in the Mercedes.

My wife's SUV is probably even better, it's a midsize SUV, Mercedes ML63 AMG, and if the size doesn't give driver's reason to respect it, then the AMG badge does. Most people know that the higher numbers mean a more expensive model, so I usually have no one tailgating or acting like an idiot around me if they take note of the car.

So basically, you either need to stand out because of the size of your vehicle, or the cost of your vehicle, or both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive