Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 06:05 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,876,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchBarlow View Post
When I'm driving my car it seems like I can't go more than five minutes without another driver trying to run me off the road, maim me, or kill me for sport. In other words, other drivers treat me like I'm gum on the bottom of their shoe. On the other hand when I'm driving my SUV, other drivers treat me like I'm the Pope. What gives? Why is my life disposable when I'm driving a car, but when I'm driving an SUV I'm regarded as royalty?

Not sure what you are doing wrong, but I drive on the roads every day and never experience any of those acts happening. Doesn't matter which of my cars I am driving, just never happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 06:05 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,852,608 times
I have noticed a certain behavior that other drivers do when I'm driving my minivan. They pick me to get in front of when they're looking for a place to cut in the line. They had a huge gap behind me, but decide to pace me and try to cut in in the tiny space I give them, which isn't enough. This goes on until they either run out of road, or they become aware that I'm not going to let them in. I know this happens to anyone in any kind of car, but it seems to occur far more frequently to me in my minivan. There are occasions when I let someone in, but it's always strange why they picked me. I'm not going slow when they do it, so it can't be that they think I'm slow.

Old 01-23-2018, 06:24 AM

604 posts, read 654,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Who feels intimidated by other vehicles?
humans.

I do feel most people react different depends on what I drive as well.
I drive 5 vehicles on regular basis and reactions vary.
The more expensive the car I drive, the more respect I get from other drivers.

Old 01-23-2018, 06:24 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,131,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchBarlow View Post
When I'm driving my car it seems like I can't go more than five minutes without another driver trying to run me off the road, maim me, or kill me for sport. In other words, other drivers treat me like I'm gum on the bottom of their shoe. On the other hand when I'm driving my SUV, other drivers treat me like I'm the Pope. What gives? Why is my life disposable when I'm driving a car, but when I'm driving an SUV I'm regarded as royalty?
You don't give us much information. Do you have Hillary bumper stickers on your car?

I drive many different vehicles and don't encounter such issues.

Old 01-23-2018, 06:38 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,296,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Who feels intimidated by other vehicles?
Guido and Luigi.

Old 01-23-2018, 06:40 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,296,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRpAANsoG8I

Old 01-23-2018, 07:52 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,530,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28079 View Post
humans.

I do feel most people react different depends on what I drive as well.
I drive 5 vehicles on regular basis and reactions vary.
The more expensive the car I drive, the more respect I get from other drivers.
The other drivers don't know you. How do they show this alleged respect? All of this sounds like stories people are making up inside their heads.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:25 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,977,156 times
Its just people and their confused perception, judgement, bias, etc. I never drive over 20 in my neighborhood but when driving my sports car I have had people yell 'slow down' but never see them yelling at the big SUV's doing almost twice the speed.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:35 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,018,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
Interesting observation.

I actually am alot more alert around and inclined to avoid people driving beaters...much greater chance a car that has no lien is uninsured/ underinsured, and much greater chance the driver doesn't have much concern about its condition.

Maybe it's just because higher end cars are common here.
I am also more concerned about beaters for the same reason. If I see dents on a car, I figure they are lousy drivers and try to stay clear. I drive a very fast European sports coupe and have no issues, but I am a fast but very defensive driver. Most people in my region are texting and messing around on their smartphones because the police in my area don't care if people are on them. Sucks, but it is what it is. No one notices other people's cars much around here because they are on their screen.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:36 AM

707 posts, read 1,410,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I have noticed a certain behavior that other drivers do when I'm driving my minivan. They pick me to get in front of when they're looking for a place to cut in the line. They had a huge gap behind me, but decide to pace me and try to cut in in the tiny space I give them, which isn't enough. This goes on until they either run out of road, or they become aware that I'm not going to let them in. I know this happens to anyone in any kind of car, but it seems to occur far more frequently to me in my minivan. There are occasions when I let someone in, but it's always strange why they picked me. I'm not going slow when they do it, so it can't be that they think I'm slow.
Its not just you, what your describing is a common practice in the DC metro area, I encounter it all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive