Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 09:59 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,426,948 times

Advertisements

I read on this forum that after the car is registered it is then used. Before that it's new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 06:05 AM

957 posts, read 2,021,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I read on this forum that after the car is registered it is then used. Before that it's new.

As a general rule, anything written on this forum about motor vehicle rules that are blanket statements should be taken with a grain of salt. Most laws such as this are state specific, so that there will be variances from state to state. So, things like Lemon Laws, disclosure for damage, etc that are mentioned will apply to a specific state, and shouldn't be considered factual outside of the state.

In this specific example, however, I believe the statement is correct in man states. Most states consider a vehicle new until it is titled, no matter how many miles a dealer may have put on it for their own purposes.

However, there are exceptions. For example, in Colorado, the vehicle must have less than 1,500 miles on it to be considered new, so some of the high mileage demonstrators would be sold as used.

Most of this is just for titling, inspections, emissions and fee purposes from the state. The price of the transaction is between the dealer and buyer, and calling a car new or used doesn't change that agreement. It has little impact on anything outside of paperwork.

Now, here is the crazy part that we will add-on: Federal Law. The FTC says that any vehicle used for purposes other than selling the car (test drives, moving the car on the lot, etc.) makes the car used, registered/titled or not. Dealer Demos are used. The impact to this though is that the dealer must abide by the Federal used car rule, which mostly requires them to put a second sticker on the car that explains the warranty that comes with it.

So, a car can be considered "new" by the state, and "used" by the federal government all at the same time. Again, other than paperwork, it matters little.

Old 01-24-2018, 06:14 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
[color="blue"]Not what you asserted in your prior post about a Caddy dealer not wanting to risk failing to disclose paint work on a car. You claimed that they had to disclose repair work by LAW.
We were discussing the paint work as you described.

Old 01-24-2018, 06:16 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28lt1 View Post
I won't reply any more after this, it is clear you are throwing stuff at the wall and see what sticks, and changing your tune along the way, not to mention, I think this won't help the OP at all.

If you think "a couple of minor dents do not have to be disclosed" but a repaint of a single panel does there is no hope here. These things are governed by law. Sate legislators don't write laws about size and number of dents or amount of paint used or anything like that.
As you note, a couple hail dings is not going to reach 3%.

Old 01-24-2018, 01:06 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,171,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
We were discussing the paint work as you described.
Indeed, I identified that I spotted paint work that was a good color match under the shop lights but the surface quality and dirt in the paint on that quarter didn't match the rest of the car, which tipped me off that paint work had been done. I had no idea how much damage the car had that necessitated the paint work and didn't speculate as to any bodywork there or on this thread.

That paint work was not disclosed to the buyer until I showed it to him.

You're the one who made a big deal about that being required BY LAW to be disclosed to the buyer and a comment that a Caddy dealer wouldn't "risk" not being in accordance with THE LAW.

But such disclosure isn't required in Nebraska, as you've been told on other responses here.

Old 01-24-2018, 03:08 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,256,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
I'm aware of the fact that shady dealerships have various tactics to rip off customers, especially when it comes to used car/finance/service.

But I'm going to buy a brand new car with all cash. I've researched its market price and negotiated with dealers, the agreed price is acceptable. However, judging from Yelp reviews, all Toyota dealers in my area have very low ratings. I guess buying a new car with cash leaves very little room for dealers to rip me off, maybe the worst case is a less than ideal price?

Anything else I need to be prepared?

Thanks
A quick google search will advise you on any number of things to look out for. Cash purchase does NOT give you the power you might assume it does. Dealers make a lot of money off of financing and would prefer you go that route. Cash buyers cost them big money!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive