Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 10:20 AM

22,654 posts, read 24,579,035 times

Advertisements

Some CELs are very minor......do not impact safety or emissions. I assume these minor codes would not be cause to fail an emission-test in most states.

On a similar note, I had a couple of incomplete emissions-monitor-tests when I went to get my van smogged.....it still passed, they allow a certain number of incomplete monitors in Washington state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 08:49 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,278,566 times
There should be a requirement in all states to at the very least check for the presence of a catalytic converter and not renew a registration if a person has been found to have had them removed. I don't think you should have to have a clear CEL because minor evap leaks that hardly affect the environment and can be very hard to track down can cause them.

There's a certain segment of the population, maybe 5-10% that has no consideration for anyone but themselves.. they do things like the following... ride a really loud motorcycle that you can hear from a mile away, leave their dog outside in the yard for hours to bark and bark with no consideration for their neighbors, drive cars without cats and with fartcan exhausts, talk and text during a movie in a theater, let their kids run wild and scream in a restaurant, among other things.. I like to have these people basically legislated out of our society if possible. Obviously my libertarian side has it's limits when you pack people together in close quarters they should have consideration for each other and noise pollution gets obnoxious after awhile.

Old 02-01-2018, 11:03 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,913,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
There should be a requirement in all states to at the very least check for the presence of a catalytic converter and not renew a registration if a person has been found to have had them removed. I don't think you should have to have a clear CEL because minor evap leaks that hardly affect the environment and can be very hard to track down can cause them.

There's a certain segment of the population, maybe 5-10% that has no consideration for anyone but themselves.. they do things like the following... ride a really loud motorcycle that you can hear from a mile away, leave their dog outside in the yard for hours to bark and bark with no consideration for their neighbors, drive cars without cats and with fartcan exhausts, talk and text during a movie in a theater, let their kids run wild and scream in a restaurant, among other things.. I like to have these people basically legislated out of our society if possible. Obviously my libertarian side has it's limits when you pack people together in close quarters they should have consideration for each other and noise pollution gets obnoxious after awhile.

Had GMC 1992 and removed it.. Truck ran like a champ without it, even had better Gas mileage. It has its use, but can create a major headach to fix or kill your MPG. It was never loud, then it was with it. The ones that are loud are the idiots that put holes in it and it vibrates. Goal is remove it completely and straight line the pipe to the tail pipe/muffler.

Old 02-01-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
You likely have a sticking purge or vent solenoid. I can never remember which that is. it sticks and throws the code, then when it's commanded a few more times, frees up and code goes away.
Yep, its a 20 dollar part on amazon.. dealerships and other places wants to charge double if not tripple and labor for a part that can be replaced under 10 mins .

Old 02-01-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
It would be nice if all states would adopt this.
Yes it would, but people complain it discriminates against the poor. We had it in AR till late 90s it was classified as being discrimination and they killed it. Now their are more trashy cars on the road then their was before. I see alot here in TX with busted windows, missing lights and manage to get a pass. So not sure if its really do anything good?

Old 02-03-2018, 07:28 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,495,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
You can disconnect the battery cable and clear the light temporarily, pass the test before it comes back on and you are good. I was told this works better than using a reader to reset the codes because it doesn't leave evidence of a recent reset. It worked for me twice in AZ.
Until you get a P1000 code and not enough monitors set. InstaFAIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Some CELs are very minor......do not impact safety or emissions. I assume these minor codes would not be cause to fail an emission-test in most states.

On a similar note, I had a couple of incomplete emissions-monitor-tests when I went to get my van smogged.....it still passed, they allow a certain number of incomplete monitors in Washington state.
Actually, CELs drop in when emissions are 1.5x normal. Or you can get that infamous GM P0760 when that 4L60E trans is about to take a dump...and I wouldn't call that minor, either

Old 02-07-2018, 09:13 AM

797 posts, read 751,753 times
How? Here where I am at,you buy them beer. That's how.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive