Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 09:33 AM

1,530 posts, read 2,415,635 times

Advertisements

Here is an unreal true story.

I have a 2014 Chevy Impala LTZ. I replaced all 4 tires (245 45 R19) at 43,000 miles. The car now has 48,000 miles. I was in Myrtle Beach parked under a high rise condo building and went to drive the car to the supermarket and found I had a flat. Called AAA to change it out and while waiting on them looked at the flat and found it was an old warn out tire of a different brand. Upon further inspection I noticed the rim with the Chevy emblem was different than the other three. Someone stole my wheel and tire and stuck me with a worn tire and different wheel.

For a replacement I could not find the brand I had on the car so I had them put on a slightly used tire (Goodyear). The replacement tire is of similar wear and I was thinking of running with it. The wheel is a close match to the other three but slightly different. My car expert brother is aghast that I have not immediately replaced the rouge wheel and tire for an exact matching wheel and tire.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 10:03 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,236,028 times
shocked they had the decency to replace to wheel/tire, usually when some one steals wheels/tires they just drop the car on the ground when they are done.

Old 02-01-2018, 10:47 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,939,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
shocked they had the decency to replace to wheel/tire, usually when some one steals wheels/tires they just drop the car on the ground when they are done.
It’s hard to get the jack out from under the car if you just leave it on the ground.

I’m surprised they only needed one wheel.

Old 02-01-2018, 11:21 AM

9,399 posts, read 11,147,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Yeah, fershur.

OP, I would look for an exact replacement. You don't know the bolt pattern, offset, etc. of your "replacement" wheel.

If at all financially possible, find your wheel at eBay etc. and get an exact match for the tire.

Old 02-01-2018, 01:07 PM

13,705 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post

I have a 2014 Chevy Impala LTZ. I replaced all 4 tires (245 45 R19) at 43,000 miles. The car now has 48,000 miles. I was in Myrtle Beach parked under a high rise condo building and went to drive the car to the supermarket and found I had a flat. Called AAA to change it out and while waiting on them looked at the flat and found it was an old warn out tire of a different brand. Upon further inspection I noticed the rim with the Chevy emblem was different than the other three. Someone stole my wheel and tire and stuck me with a worn tire and different wheel.

For a replacement I could not find the brand I had on the car so I had them put on a slightly used tire (Goodyear). The replacement tire is of similar wear and I was thinking of running with it. The wheel is a close match to the other three but slightly different. My car expert brother is aghast that I have not immediately replaced the rouge wheel and tire for an exact matching wheel and tire.

Thoughts?
My first thought is, wow, I can't remember the last time I heard of wheels/tires getting stolen. You didn't happen to see someone else changing their tire in the garage, did you?

People like four matching tires for the same reason they like to make sure their black dress socks are mates, and they aren't wearing a Hanes sock with a Fruit of the Loom dress sock: It's irritating. And I get it. But you aren't doing anything "bad" per se...especially as its an Impala, not a Porsche.

Old 02-01-2018, 02:26 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,233,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
My first thought is, wow, I can't remember the last time I heard of wheels/tires getting stolen. You didn't happen to see someone else changing their tire in the garage, did you?

People like four matching tires for the same reason they like to make sure their black dress socks are mates, and they aren't wearing a Hanes sock with a Fruit of the Loom dress sock: It's irritating. And I get it. But you aren't doing anything "bad" per se...especially as its an Impala, not a Porsche.
Not necessarily... He could have been given a wheel size that is not as big or as wide as the stock wheel was, the tire may not be as wide as the stock tire, etc. All will affect handling and braking.

More dangerously, the offsets of this swapped wheel may not match the stock wheel, leading to the tires rubbing on a fender, something suspension related, or even the wheel not being able to clear the brake calipers.

Old 02-01-2018, 02:47 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,148,782 times
It won't be hard to find a match, go to eBay. Mr. OP, no wheel locks?

Believe it or not, in the south,they cherish the American cars, and love that southern hospitality. That's why they gave you a spare. Perhaps they hop that you will just drive away, and not realize the theft.

Old 02-01-2018, 03:13 PM

13,705 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
Not necessarily... He could have been given a wheel size that is not as big or as wide as the stock wheel was, the tire may not be as wide as the stock tire, etc. All will affect handling and braking.

More dangerously, the offsets of this swapped wheel may not match the stock wheel, leading to the tires rubbing on a fender, something suspension related, or even the wheel not being able to clear the brake calipers.
Good Point...But this had to be a theft of opportunity, someone had a flat and saw a like car and got busy.

Old 02-01-2018, 03:22 PM

5,671 posts, read 5,868,959 times
Get a set of those lugnuts you have to have a special socket to get off. Problem solved.

Old 02-01-2018, 04:25 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,141,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post

Thoughts?
A dishonest, but somewhat regretful, thief. End of story.

Reminds me of me losing my wallet end of 2013. Someone returned it to the Safeway, next door. They liberated my cash, about $38. Honest? Dishonest? I figured: meh, there's always worse and they just self-rewarded (I'd have given them $20).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive