Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 09:54 AM

2,323 posts, read 2,176,505 times

Advertisements

Just replaced windshield, is this new windshield soundproof/acoustic? Where can I find the information?

It is not original ford windshield.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Focus 2013 Hatchback: Is it soundproof windshield?-img_20180226_114352.jpg  

Last edited by Baike; 02-26-2018 at 10:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 10:11 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
No windshield is soundproof.

It is a piece of glass.

Perhaps you meant Shatterproof? Yes all windshields are required to be shatterproof. That means when it breaks, it does not break into sharp shards that kill you. It would be pretty amazing if this one were not.

What you probably want to know is whether it is OEM equivalent. Best way to tell that is by the price. Under $300 it is probably a cheap Chinese replacement that is not as safe. I cannot remember the difference, other than I made a mental note after researching this that I do not want the cheap windshields. I know one thing is they break more easily and a chip or crack spiderwebs always and immediately (my daughter has one and a son had one in the past, so that is based on reading, plus a sample of 2).

Most windshields have a plasticy coating in the glass that keeps the pieces from coming out even if the glass breaks. If you have ever seen an accident where someone's head hit a windshield, you will know what I am referring to. It also appears when a windshield gets shot with a bullet, but it is unlikely you will ever see that (Unless you are a teenager and come upon a bunch of old cars in the woods while you are out with friends and carrying rifles).

I think they all have to have that coating, but I am not certain. You can learn a lot with three hours of research on the internet. I have forgotten more than I remember. It was enough to not never buy a cheap windshield for any reason. Then I forgot the rest.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 02-26-2018 at 10:19 AM..

Old 02-26-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
No windshield is soundproof.

It is a piece of glass.
Not 100% soundproof.

They call it "acoustic" windshield

Old 02-26-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlebeH View Post
Not 100% soundproof.

They call it "acoustic" windshield
Learn something new every day. I wonder if it really makes any difference. Obviously it will make some difference, but noticeable?

I am not sure how you would test it since you woudl have to have two of the same car, one with it one without.

Except for little economy cars that have so much road noise you cannot hear the radio, I am not sure I notice a lot of difference in road noise from car to car. Most cars I have had the exhaust was fairly loud anyway. Usually I either have the radio pretty loud, or a lot of people talking, or I have the windows and top open, so road noise is not an issue (unless it is crazy, like a Corolla).

Old 02-26-2018, 11:17 AM

4,627 posts, read 4,894,804 times
Quote:
Learn something new every day. I wonder if it really makes any difference. Obviously it will make some difference, but noticeable?

I am not sure how you would test it since you woudl have to have two of the same car, one with it one without.

Except for little economy cars that have so much road noise you cannot hear the radio, I am not sure I notice a lot of difference in road noise from car to car. Most cars I have had the exhaust was fairly loud anyway. Usually I either have the radio pretty loud, or a lot of people talking, or I have the windows and top open, so road noise is not an issue (unless it is crazy, like a Corolla).
Fiestas have acoustic glass too

It doesn't do much. It does some, but it's still a couple sheets of transparent glass.

Old 02-26-2018, 11:21 AM

Let us get back to my question: based on attached photo (first post), is my windshield soundproof/acoustic?

Thanks.

Old 02-26-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
Fiestas have acoustic glass too

It doesn't do much. It does some, but it's still a couple sheets of transparent glass.
Aren't all windshields two sheets of glass with plastic laminated in the middle?

Maybe this si special plastic that provides sound dampening. I wonder whether ti is .00001% difference or something? Maybe it is just a fancy name for ordinary features. Mazda did that with its "Skyactiv technology" Or Chrysler with the "Hemi" engine that is not a Hemi. Stick a cool sounding name on something ordinary and sell more. Not saying that is what this is, but it is my guess since there is not much you can do to significantly dampen sound in a windshield.

Old 02-26-2018, 11:25 AM

957 posts, read 2,022,046 times
The replacement windshield doesn't seem to have any indication that it is acoustic glass. That doesn't guarantee that is isn't, but most manufacturers give an indication of it on the label so it is highly unlikely. Your best bet is to ask the installer or contact xyg.

Acoustic glass is pretty noticeable when it is done on all the glass. When it is just the windshield, it can be less noticeable, depending upon where the noise is coming from (many cars largest noise is tire noise and wind noise from the mirrors/door seals). Some studies have shown 2-4 db reduction from the front windshield and 3-6 for side glass. I have no idea if that is additive though.

EDIT: Just looked at xyg's website and they make no mention of any acoustic glass when touting their windshield features. Again, doesn't guarantee it isn't, but very doubtful

Old 02-26-2018, 11:36 AM

957 posts, read 2,022,046 times
Quote:
Aren't all windshields two sheets of glass with plastic laminated in the middle?

Maybe this si special plastic that provides sound dampening. I wonder whether ti is .00001% difference or something? Maybe it is just a fancy name for ordinary features. Mazda did that with its "Skyactiv technology" Or Chrysler with the "Hemi" engine that is not a Hemi. Stick a cool sounding name on something ordinary and sell more. Not saying that is what this is, but it is my guess since there is not much you can do to significantly dampen sound in a windshield.
Acoustic glass has a middle layer pvb designed specifically to reduce noise. It's not just a name.

The newest generation of the Mercedes C class originally had some wind noise complaints and they had been arriving with and without the acoustic side glass as they looked to solved the problems. The acoustic glass was noticeably different, and you could look at the edge of the side windows and easily tell which ones had acoustic glass and which didn't. They replaced some without the acoustic glass with under warranty to cure some noise problems and it always made a noticeable difference.

Old 02-26-2018, 01:20 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,158,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlebeH View Post
Let us get back to my question: based on attached photo (first post), is my windshield soundproof/acoustic?

Thanks.
Why don't you ask the people who put it in for you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive