Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 08:05 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Puck View Post
Hey All,

I was just browsing some car forums and found out that lot of car companies are offering safety features like precollision warning, lane departure alert, adaptive cruise control etc as a standard feature (e.g. Toyota sense). I understand this is not free and cost of these features in already baked into the vehicle price but i have not seen many companies offering Blind spot warning as a standard feature. What could be the reason for this?

Making more money could ofcourse be one reason but what else could be stopping them?

Thanks,
Why not rely on yourself instead of an idiotbeeper?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 08:12 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
But you can’t make the other drivers turn their heads when you pass them, that’s the problem.
When I pass them, they don't need to turn their heads to see me. I will be in front of them.

Old 02-07-2018, 10:45 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Blind spot detection is only for you slow drivers. If you're 25 mph faster than the traffic, you don't need it.

Old 02-07-2018, 03:06 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times
Back to the OP's original question. Companies don't do things altruistically. Either they're compelled by legislation to include certain safety items (see: seat belts, air bags, padded dash, high mounted brake light, backup camera, etc) in which they bake the cost into the overall price, or there's a significant demand, and they sell it as a stand alone, or even better part of an overall option package, for which there's an additional charge.

No such thing as a free lunch.

Old 02-07-2018, 03:15 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
I ave a neck and it still works. I woudl prefer not to be force to pay for blind spot warning that I would likely never pay attention to. The last thing we need are more distractions for drivers. Until we have self driving cars, drivers should be looking at the road.

Old 02-07-2018, 04:52 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,082,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
We probably wouldn't need them if people would adjust their mirrors correctly.
Yep. It's as if driving fundamentals are gone now. Replaced by the thought that driving is a right and not a privilege. Technology is replacing the basics of driving. People are more concerned with their phones than they are about the road.

Old 02-07-2018, 05:15 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,705,526 times
The same reason why anti-lock brakes weren't standard 20+ years ago.

It's what the dealer/manu feel they can charge.

Old 02-07-2018, 07:55 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,946,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I ave a neck and it still works. I woudl prefer not to be force to pay for blind spot warning that I would likely never pay attention to. The last thing we need are more distractions for drivers. Until we have self driving cars, drivers should be looking at the road.
Then you should be the biggest proponent of blind spot warning. If you’re turning your neck you’re not looking ahead. That noise shouldn’t be distracting you, it should be be telling you you’re about to merge into somebody.

Old 02-07-2018, 08:49 PM

292 posts, read 428,370 times
Toyota offers a bird's eye view camera for parallel parking; Honda, the leader in car safety, does not. Not sure if the camera raises up from the roof like 30 feet into the air.

Old 02-07-2018, 10:17 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,897,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
THIS^^^ We took the safe driving course to get a reduction in our insurance. Thankfully no points for either of us. That was the biggest take away from that course. Here are the instructions.

To adjust the driver's side-view mirror, place your head against the left side window and set the mirror so you can just barely see the side of the car in the mirror's right side. To adjust the passenger's side-view mirror, position your head so that it is just above the center console.

It is a little awkward to get used to initially bit now, anything else is impossible for us.
So true! Of course my personal cars’s mirrors are adjusted exactly to this standard but it is so telling to see whenever I get in the shared company car, with most drivers in our tiny firm about the same size as I, completely have the mirrors re-adjusted inward to the worthless setting of seeing the same reflected image in two mirrors at the same time. They must think the same of me when they get in. “Why in the world would anyone have their outboard mirrors adjusted to tilt so far outward? To see the cars in your blind spot you idiot!

90% of folks will never do this- it is absolutely untenable to them. Old, bad habits die hard.

Last edited by T. Damon; 02-07-2018 at 10:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive