Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 10:35 PM

292 posts, read 428,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
As far as I know all cars are 50 state compliant now.
Yep!

Quote:
Are you sure of that? When I lived in Nevada and bought a car in California I paid California sales tax and was issued a temporary California title and registration. I went to Reno DMV the next day and registered it there. I can't see any reason that the dealer would have be bonded in Nevada.
I agree with you. CA does not do out-of-state DMV paperwork at all or collect taxes, except for a dealer in South Lake Tahoe, CA which is authorized to collect NV sales tax since they are right on the border with Stateline, NV. You still have to do the DMV paperwork yourself though.

The temporary title/registration you mention is called a one trip permit ($21) which the CA DMV authorizes dealers to issue for out-of-state purchasers. CA temp dealer plates cannot be issued to out-of-state residents. I have spent hours researching the issue and calling the CA DMV and CA Consumer Franchise Tax Board to get the exact rules, as well as their counterparts in NV.

Old 02-10-2018, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
You cannot do the titling and registration yourself at most dealers. Big-time red flag for a "shipper".

Will you report me?
Wrong! For most out-of-state purchases you can. I did it myself when I was a resident of Maine and bought a new car in Pennsylvania. I also did it in Nevada when I was a resident of South Dakota. That is also the rule in CA. See Chapter 6.075 of the California DMV Vehicle Industry Registration Procedures Manual (page 6-30):

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/co...df?MOD=AJPERES

I have researched this issue. In fact, most states wouldn't do it since they don't know the out-of-state rules and aren't bonded with those states.

Luckily, you cannot be reported for incompetence.

Old 02-10-2018, 10:44 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,119,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkit View Post
Wrong! For most out-of-state purchases you can. I did it myself when I was a resident of Maine and bought a new car in Pennsylvania. I also did it in Nevada when I was a resident of South Dakota. That is the rule in CA. Do you want the url citation? I have researches this issue. In fact, most states wouldn't do it since they don't know the out-of-state rules and aren't bonded with those states.

Luckily, you cannpt be reported for incompetence.
You are not paying attention. It's up to the dealer. And like I said, some people you just don't want as a customer.

Old 02-10-2018, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Many dealers won't sell hot models outside their market. It screws with allocation and furthermore, you'll never see the customer for service, where the money is made during the life of the car.
I go to the area once a month for a week. My doctors and banks are still there. I used to live there. NV is closeby.

Plus even being a local resident doesn't matter. Few people today are loyal to the local dealer for service. They shop around at other dealers or other providers for the best deals. They buy genuine Honda parts and accessories at Amazon, eBay, or discount Honda sellers. This is no longer the 1980's.

Old 02-10-2018, 10:50 PM

Quote:
You are not paying attention. It's up to the dealer. And like I said, some people you just don't want as a customer.
What I am saying is you can, and actually must, do the DMV paperwork yourself most of the time if you are an out-of-state purchaser. I have cited my experience in two different states and also the published CA rules.

Old 02-11-2018, 06:24 AM

4,327 posts, read 7,235,823 times
Quote:
Many dealers won't sell hot models outside their market. It screws with allocation and furthermore, you'll never see the customer for service, where the money is made during the life of the car.
Since the dealer in question states they are a family-run business with only one dealership, then this could be an especially important consideration. A dealer in this particular situation probably doesn't see an out-of-market sale as being worth it to them. It's pretty well known that new car sales isn't where the money is for a dealership, it's used cars and the service department.

My experience with trying to buy a new vehicle via an internet sale was that most dealers will only negotiate prices in-person. Other than being able to view dealer inventory with MSRP prices, negotiating to buy a new vehicle was much the same as it was 50 years ago.

If the out-of-market dealer has a particular vehicle in inventory that this customer wants, then the OP may have to see if the local dealer is willing to swap a car in their inventory with the out-of-state dealer.

Old 02-11-2018, 07:11 AM

17,307 posts, read 22,039,209 times
Quote:
Maybe. I only told him politely I was not paying extra for dealer add-ons or for unnecessary out-the-door fees such as any advertising charges or PDI fees. Honda dealers have proven to be sneaky. I sent a long email citing California state law and the url which showed the procedure for out-of-state purchasers and the fees associated with it.
That email was their red flag to decline to sell you a car!

Old 02-11-2018, 07:28 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,823,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
That email was their red flag to decline to sell you a car!
Precisely this.

Old 02-11-2018, 07:42 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
As far as I know all cars are 50 state compliant now.
Nope. For example, Subaru makes PZEV cars and non-PZEV cars. If you live in a state that has adopted the California CARB standard, you can't register a new non-PZEV car. Pretty much all the states in the Northeast Corridor are like that.

I live in New England where the states are so small that out-of-state buyers are an everyday thing. I buy cars out of state more often than not.

I have heard of dealerships refusing to sell popular cars on allocation to out-of-towners. They make their money on their service bays, not on the new car sale. It's good business for them to keep as much of their sales volume local.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Old 02-11-2018, 07:42 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,471,558 times
Quote:
I go to the area once a month for a week. My doctors and banks are still there. I used to live there. NV is closeby.

Plus even being a local resident doesn't matter. Few people today are loyal to the local dealer for service. They shop around at other dealers or other providers for the best deals. They buy genuine Honda parts and accessories at Amazon, eBay, or discount Honda sellers. This is no longer the 1980's.
The dealer is incented by the manufacturer to get the first couple of service visits. It is part of their performance metrics. You don’t really represent enough value to this dealer to be worth the effort.
Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive