Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 05:22 AM

292 posts, read 428,694 times

Advertisements

I am looking at buying a few hundred dollars worth of parts and accessories for my new car: splash guards, wheel locks, all-weather floor liners, door edge guards, 4 mouse pads, a teddy bear, a repair mat, a gallon of anti-freeze, ATF, brake fluid, 6 quarts of synthetic oil, windshield washer fluid, and a hood deflector. [My car requires genuine Honda fluids, not other brands.]

To get him to make me accept the offer, I will offer to buy these at cost. This will be cheaper than order from discount dealer stores who also sell genuine Honda accessories. They will not be losing any money, and I will be happy.

I was told this would never happen, as the dealer would then lose parts sales from me after. But I don't plan on going to this dealer again as I live far away, and would get discount parts instead. So no loss for him.

Would he agree to this? I figure this is the best time to get parts and accessories, to sweeten the deal for him at no loss.

Old 02-11-2018, 05:33 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,121,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkit View Post
I am looking at buying a few hundred dollars worth of parts and accessories for my new car: splash guards, wheel locks, all-weather floor liners, door edge guards, 4 mouse pads, a teddy bear, a repair mat, a gallon of anti-freeze, ATF, brake fluid, 6 quarts of synthetic oil, windshield washer fluid, and a hood deflector. [My car requires genuine Honda fluids, not other brands.]

To get him to make me accept the offer, I will offer to buy these at cost. This will be cheaper than order from discount dealer stores who also sell genuine Honda accessories. They will not be losing any money, and I will be happy.

I was told this would never happen, as the dealer would then lose parts sales from me after. But I don't plan on going to this dealer again as I live far away, and would get discount parts instead. So no loss for him.

Would he agree to this? I figure this is the best time to get parts and accessories, to sweeten the deal for him at no loss.
You again? I'd say: have a nice day, and see you to the door.

Old 02-11-2018, 06:55 AM

998 posts, read 1,237,760 times
Quote:
[My car requires genuine Honda fluids, not other brands.] .
To answer your question, " they might", you don't know without asking.

I purchased a Subaru for a relative and they said pick out all the accessories you want (roof racks, mats, anything in there accessory store, and I believe the discount was 30%), so not "at cost" but cheaper than one could buy them anywhere else.

Also, your Honda does not "require" Honda fluids. No manufacturer can require that. They can require the use of a specific fluid or equivalent, but if your car is uses 15-50 viscosity synthetic oil you can use any 15-50 oil as long as it meets the same ASE specifications that the Honda oil meets.

Old 02-11-2018, 08:13 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Who told you they wouldn't do it?

Old 02-11-2018, 09:48 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times
There's a good chance. Make the offer and find out.

After the salesman and I had come to an agreement on my first new vehicle purchase, a '68 Chevy pickup to be built to my specs, he told me I could add any factory installed accessories to it at half the suggested retail price. (This was before the days of "option packages", when all options were ordered and priced individually.) I was told that half of suggested retail price was their cost. Keep in mind, this was a Detroit-built vehicle from (nearly exactly) a half century ago, so prices and markup have likely changed many times since then. It was also for factory options, not for oil, various fluids and teddy bears.

A little tip: There's an old saying that "You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar." When buying a car, you'll likely get better pricing by being likable than by being a sourpuss. Dealers don't have to sell you a car, anymore than you have to buy one from them. If they make the buying experience pleasant for you, you're more apt to buy from them; likewise, if you make it pleasant for them, they're more apt to offer you some deals. Don't be demanding in your negotiations. Nobody likes that, and nobody has to cave to your demands. I've been a business owner most of my life. I've cut a few customers some pretty sweet deals but have never caved to a demand for a lower price. I don't need that kind of customer, and I doubt I'm in the minority.

Last edited by WyoNewk; 02-11-2018 at 09:57 AM..

Old 02-11-2018, 10:25 AM

9,885 posts, read 7,217,312 times
Some things to keep in mind. The sales rep may not make anything from the sale of the accessories, so they may not care. Also note that sales usually has to "buy" those accessories from the parts department and their cost is not the true parts cost. New cars sales, used car sales, parts, online accessory sales, finance are all individual profit centers and each has it's own bottom line to reach.

Old 02-11-2018, 10:57 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,346,043 times
If he knows who you are, just ask him, he may even just give them to you for free !
A lot of dealers love to have celebrities endorse their products and may even pay you to shop there .
You may have to pose for a lot of pictures or be in a video capturing your experience in the store but you will never know unless you talk to the sales manager and tell him all the social media that you are involved with. Make sure that you mention Facebook and Instagram.
Just call and set up an appointment.

Last edited by NickofDiamonds; 02-11-2018 at 11:22 AM..

Old 02-11-2018, 11:29 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,908,150 times
Ask the dealer to throw in all that stuff for free or just walk the hell out.

Old 02-11-2018, 12:52 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,000,178 times
Put me in the "no way" column. The dealer has got to make some profit. If the salesman really needs a sale, he may be willing to cut his portion - but there has to be profit.

The worst they can do, though, is say no. So ask. But I wouldn't expect a "yes". And you may tick the sales manager off enough to kibosh the whole deal. Unless you are paying a good price for the vehicle, where the dealer and salesperson have plenty of profit - then they might go for it.

And it is unlikely to be "at cost". A deep discount, maybe, but not at cost.

Old 02-11-2018, 12:57 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,581,375 times
Quote:

I think you would be better off just working the best price using multiple dealers. Once you arrive there you can ask but remember you can also order parts online - normally at ~20% above cost - many dealers will sell parts at wholesale.

If you try to do what you propose you risk getting what you ask - at the expense of a significantly higher price (remember you never really what what the dealer's true cost of vehicle is).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive