Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 09:35 AM

658 posts, read 721,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
If so, why?

Whether it's for frugality reasons, or depreciation reasons, so many people make it clear they really only buy used cars.

But I don't recall people who prefer new cars being so open or vocal about why they think new is better (for them).

I prefer new. It's all I've bought since college.
However, my brother (who always has money issues, so can't really afford new) has fallen in love with late model, used rental cars. He's bought three from a major rental company, all only about a year old at the time. And he swears that's the way to get a "new" car, for less.

I'm still a new car person. When he asked why the only reason I could come up with was...."well I just do."
I used to give a rationale of not wanting to buy 'an unknown' or someone else's trouble -- but with dealer pre-owned programs and one-year -old rentals available, he says those concerns aren't as valid as they once were. And I admit, the old "there's nothing like that new car smell" seems awfully superficial.

So......IF, you are a "new car" person.....
Why do you prefer new?
You can't be a new car person if you can't afford new, so that leaves zillions of people out of the equation. For a person who has the choice between new and used, my thoughts are if I were in that situation I would buy used but gently used, like when someone like you perhaps has outgrown their new car after the first year and wants something "newer". The last car I bought had 27K miles on it. It's perfectly fine. Since a car depreciates so violently once you drive away in it, I think saving some money right off the bat is important. Buying new feels like a waste, like the dealership etc. are just getting more money from you without really giving you anything in return.

Same with diamonds, btw. They're not rare and they're not as valuable as people are told. That's all a lie DeBeers manufactured to make money and boy, have they. Reselling a diamond you're never gonna get near what you paid for it. Therefore it is not "worth" what you are paying for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2018, 10:07 AM

4,540 posts, read 3,741,311 times
I like new because I don’t like cars where people have done who knows what in them - dirt, puke on the seats, dogs and pets, smoking etc.

Not to mention maintenance -I can take care of the vehicle my own way so I know it will have the best chance of not breaking down or making it long term.

Also I know the history of hows it’s driven - not like those people who rev to 5k RPMs when cold, or idling for an hour, stop and go traffic but still doing jack rabbit starts and braking hard at the next red light.

Nothing beats the new car smell either!

Old 02-11-2018, 10:13 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,666,242 times
In my opinion it depends WHAT type of vehicle you are buying and how much use it will see.

European luxury cars generally take a HUGE hit depreciation wise the first year or two...I would buy used as I dont pile on the miles anyway and it could remain under warranty for a couple years.

Certain 4x4s or muscle cars (anything likely to have been driven hard) I would only go new because I would want to KNOW it hasn't been abused.

Any model with a well known fault or problematic issue, I would buy new to reduce the odds of buying someone else's problem and to have the most warranty protection available.

In the broad sense for people who trade every few years buying used makes a lot of sense.

I don't really have a strong personal preference one way or another.

My next vehicle will likely be new...I don't drive that much so it will remain practically brand new for a long while. I am buying for the long term, as long as my vehicle is still meeting my needs and reliable I won't be trading for the latest and greatest.

Old 02-11-2018, 10:26 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Buying a used car is just buying someone else's problems.
That is a myth and an old wives tale.

Not true today.

People sell or trade in cars for a whole bunch of reasons.
Some just want a new car with all of the newest gadgets.
Some just don't wish to drive a car after certain miles on odometer.
Some just don't want to drive a car after a certain age.
Some people just have a lot of money.

There are many posts here on how to buy a used car. No need to repeat here.

Old 02-11-2018, 10:29 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times
Quote:
my thoughts are if I were in that situation I would buy used but gently used, like when someone like you perhaps has outgrown their new car after the first year and wants something "newer".
Well, it won't be someone like me -- because in my case I'm not only "a new car person" -- I'm also a "drive it until the doors fall off and the engine falls out person."
So the chances of anyone getting a used car from me -- unless they are a niece or nephew who needs a car just to get around in -- are slim-to none.
I'm a buy and hold, and hold, and hold, and hold person.

Old 02-11-2018, 11:28 AM

8,876 posts, read 13,907,158 times
I like to buy new (7 in a row over the past many years), but the last one we bought was around 16 months old with 19K on the odometer.

The price was good enough to overlook the fact that someone else "broke it in" for us.

And, we still had the remainder of factory warranty period for peace of mind.

Old 02-11-2018, 12:08 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
Often times, yes. Leaky pipes, poorly done electricals, bad subfloors, leaky roof, settling on the foundation, etc. Poorly done repairs by a previous owner, un-permitted additions, insect and rodent damage that is hidden... LOTS of things to go wrong in a house that a lot of people want a new build instead with a warranty.
Wait, that is a description for a new house. At least after a few years.

Old 02-11-2018, 12:21 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
I buy new because I keep a car forever. The times I haven’t was for good reason. One was totaled, not my fault, and the two used cars I bought which were nothing but trouble. The first one got sold after it left me stranded two miles from home at 3AM. For the second time. To be fair, it was very used.

The second one was driven for 2500 miles, brought back to upgrade to a higher model so it had the original warranty. Its brakes went out twice in one small trip in its first month and then couldn’t be replicated at the dealership. I never trusted that car after that. And frankly it was far more that that sedan didn’t fit with our business, but a hatchback with flip down seats did.

My favorite part of the questions they kept asking about the brake loss? I had to keep telling them it was a stick shift. All the scenarios they kept bringing up would be impossible with a stick shift. None of them would be complete brake failure, where the pedal starts to brake, then gives way under your foot.

Anyway, the hatchback is now fifteen years old.

After the Saturn fiasco, I said never used never again. It’s not like we buy high end cars. I’m looking at cars now, just in case and I might buy a 25K car. My car will go to hubby. Our business has changed and we don’t haul anymore and his truck has over 250K miles.

Old 02-11-2018, 01:00 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,115,170 times
Bought used in my poor years, then pretty much new after we could afford it.
New Audis and Mercedes every 3 or 4 years for the wife, and Ford Explorers/ F-150s for me.
A couple of 2-yr leases along the way. We like to drive the new styles and technology.
Plus get to order exactly what we like.
Never kept a car beyond warranty.
Now that I'm retired, will probably keep the vehicles longer.

Old 02-11-2018, 01:10 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
That is a myth and an old wives tale.

Not true today.

People sell or trade in cars for a whole bunch of reasons.
Some just want a new car with all of the newest gadgets.
Some just don't wish to drive a car after certain miles on odometer.
Some just don't want to drive a car after a certain age.
Some people just have a lot of money.

There are many posts here on how to buy a used car. No need to repeat here.
Not a myth. There are a bunch of trashy used cars. A bunch of good ones also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive