Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 07:31 AM

1,062 posts, read 979,914 times

Advertisements

Buy a European vehicle, they tend to have more sporty suspensions, even their SUV models
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2018, 08:44 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,116,634 times
Ford Explorer. Number one seller by far and for good reason. Looks, safety and reliability. Police like them too!

Old 02-12-2018, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthisle View Post
Buy a European vehicle, they tend to have more sporty suspensions, even their SUV models
They want used. Tell me how much a front axle brake job is on a Q5.

Better reliability and cost of maintenance hands down.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
We have a Subaru Outback, not really an SUV. Our daughter has complained at times of motion sickness related to sitting in the back. Fortunately, I usually drive!
Same with us. The Outback's not as roomy as some mid-suvs but is an engineering marvel at that price point.
The entry seat height is about perfect.

I drive an Explorer and my wife drives the Outback. I enjoy driving the Subaru, but if I'm driving to New York or Florida I'll drive the Explorer. Just a better ride for all-day driving.

OP can rent what they are looking for, but the Ford or the Subaru are excellent choices.

I made my living selling Porsches----I drive the Hell out of my cars and both do very well.

Old 02-12-2018, 09:24 AM

286 posts, read 210,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
They want used. Tell me how much a front axle brake job is on a Q5.

Better reliability and cost of maintenance hands down.
The cost of the 3-5 year old US car is much lower. Cost is a consideration as well.
And I find non american cars to have very firm seats. I rode in Avalon once which is the same size as bonneville and my back didn't like it a bit.

Old 02-12-2018, 10:27 AM

400 posts, read 573,180 times
I get car sick pretty easily if I'm trying to read or do anything that doesn't involve looking out the window. I'm fine above deck on a boat, but if I get below and can't see the horizon things go badly quickly.

I'd echo the sportier suspension comments. That helps. But for me, the best solution is just to look out the window and enjoy the ride.

Old 02-12-2018, 11:01 AM

468 posts, read 355,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Ford Explorer. Number one seller by far and for good reason. Looks, safety and reliability. Police like them too!
Some Explorer owners are claiming it is making them become ill

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/hundre...ing-them-sick/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ck/1063536001/

Old 02-12-2018, 11:49 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,228,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banbuk77 View Post
I am currently driving Pontiac Bonneville SSEi and I had to teach myself to drive differently when she is with me: very gradual lane changes, slow acceleration and braking. So she is ok most of the time and even reads the phone sometimes.
This particular car has a very good tranny that shifts very smoothly. This is my 5th GM car and I rented some more - this one is ideal. I cannot even imagine how it would be if the car jerked with each gear shift.
The problem are on windy roads and potholes. So I thought some cars are better absorbing than other.

I see there is no other way to find out but to go and test drive all the models with my wife. We need an SUV since we have a small child and will probably need extra cargo room.

My ***GUESS*** is that larger would be better. A larger car isn't affected as much as a smaller one when it hits a pot hole, for example. It's not usually blown around as much by the wind either. And there's usually better visibility to see out. For 14 years my primary daily driver was a Ford F250 4x4. My wife loved riding in it vs. our smaller sedans because we sat up a little higher and she was better able to see what was happening around us on the road.

I'd try that with your wife -- a good test drive or day-long rental. Candidates would include the Cadillac Escalade, Chevy Suburban and Tahoe, Ford Expedition... and a few others. Any one of them would probably tell you if a big SUV is the ticket, and there's not a lot of difference among them. A full-sized pickup would be the same thing. My son has a new F150 Limited that's loaded. It's really a nice ride, and he and his wife both prefer it for long trips over his '17 Vette or her '16 BMW. I rode with them to a football game in October -- 800 mile r/t. As nice a ride as you could find, imo. I just don't know for sure if a big SUV/pickup is what your wife needs. They aren't cheap, especially the ones that are all tarted up.

Old 02-12-2018, 12:06 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,233,399 times
I'd be looking at hatches and wagons which would offer lower center of gravity and firmer rides. You don't want to try to absorb pot hole shocks. You want to feel them hit rather than try to float over them.

Old 02-12-2018, 01:12 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,759,968 times
Motion Sickness is caused by an inbalance between the eyes, and the inner ear. It can happen in planes, boats, and autos. Back in the 1950s I was air terminal chief (in charge of all cargo, passengers, and flight attendants) for a big air transportation squadron while in the navy. Following a doctors advice we kept a 1,000 pill bottle of Dramamine for any passengers that suffered from motion sickness, we would give a pill about half an hour before take off, and they would not suffer motion sickness. When our kids were young, 2 of them had motion sickness problems, so used the old navy method, and no problems. As I had it when I was a kid, I know how miserable it makes you. It does not get better, having a different vehicle as some suggest. If you made the trip wearing a blindfold, you could reduce the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive