Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 08:18 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,716,237 times

Advertisements

Suppose you lived in a big city like NYC, London, Paris, Tokyo, Barcelona where the publication transportation is pretty reliable, would you still choose to be a car owner?

I think I wouldn't. Actually I hardly needed to drive when I lived in Shanghai.

In other words, I am a car owner because the lack of public transportation where I live forces me to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2018, 08:36 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,387,704 times
Nothing on this earth could get me to live in any big city. Public transportation is like riding in a cattle car.

Old 02-17-2018, 08:40 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
The times I have been in NYC I didn’t need a car, I could get everywhere by walking, subway, or a cab. That was fine for me as a visitor, but I couldn’t live like that everyday. I live in a small town, we don’t have heavy traffic here, and I like getting out and driving my own vehicles.

Old 02-17-2018, 08:44 PM

121 posts, read 105,887 times
I would be fine going car-free as long as I feel safe waiting at the bus stop and I could meet all my needs within short walk - food, RX, $ store... Also need to feed safe on bus...Some area's buses are a freak show sadly and bus packed like sardines.

Lots of small towns are now running their own bus around town and into county seat for reasonable fee. Is good news if you want to go without a car in country.

If you want to leave town by car, can always get a rental but some areas are very $$ rental cars. Need to rent a truck/van is really cheap with Uhaul plus available almost anywhere.

Old 02-17-2018, 08:48 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
I lived in the DC area next to a metro station and still owned a car.

Old 02-17-2018, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I lived in the DC area next to a metro station and still owned a car.
I visited DC a few years ago and I used metro to get around.

I guess not everybody lives and works next to metro, that's a major reason why most residents still have to drive. Grocery shopping is another big reason.

The only U.S that has good public transportation, in my opinion, is New York City. Even though it's nowhere close to big cities in East Asia and West Europe.

Old 02-17-2018, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Nothing on this earth could get me to live in any big city. Public transportation is like riding in a cattle car.
Sigh, I'm stuck in a small city(pop 400k) right now. Hopefully I can move back to some big city after a couple of years.

Actually, you can still drive your car in many big cities, like LA.

The primary reason I prefer big city life isn't public transportation, though. Actually, I don't know many people who genuinely prefer small town living if cost(home price) isn't a factor.

Old 02-17-2018, 09:16 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Sigh, I'm stuck in a small city(pop 400k) right now. Hopefully I can move back to some big city after a couple of years.

Actually, you can still drive your car in many big cities, like LA.

The primary reason I prefer big city life isn't public transportation, though. Actually, I don't know many people who genuinely prefer small town living if cost(home price) isn't a factor.
I prefer it, and cost isn’t a factor. I like having a large yard where I can garden and do other things. I can walk out onto my back patio butt naked and dip into my hot tub without anybody seeing me.

I also own three trucks, one car, and two bikes. In a city I’d have nowhere to put them. I like my cars.

Old 02-17-2018, 09:21 PM

3,319 posts, read 1,818,241 times
I would own a car if I lived in a sewer... maybe a motorcycle as well.
I am a car-identified woman.
God made me this way.

Old 02-17-2018, 09:38 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,103,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Exactly. Mass transit makes me feel like I’m stuck in one of those Ant Farms in a glass bowl; no thanks.

Personally, I would keep my own ride because I have a disabled child & my experience with trying to utilize public transit in the past has been nothing short of exhausting & terrifying.

Regardless, though; I just have to be the “master of my own disaster”. If I want to leave at 9:02 to arrive at 9:30? I’m going to leave at 9:02.

I’m not going to leave at 8:55, to walk to a stop by 9:02 & then wait to get picked up at 9:15 ... to arrive at 10:00. Oops; I forgot to get my transfer pass ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive