Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 06:28 PM

2,578 posts, read 2,069,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
Anytime multiple lanes begin condensing into fewer lanes I try to wait until it's absolutely necessary before merging in.

It's faster that way.
Safer, too. For everyone.

"Zipper merge vs. early merge
When most drivers see the first “lane closed ahead” sign in a work zone, they slow too quickly and move to the lane that will continue through the construction area. This driving behavior can lead to unexpected and dangerous lane switching, serious crashes and road rage.

Zipper merging, however, benefits individual drivers as well as the public at large. Research shows that these dangers decrease when motorists use both lanes until reaching the defined merge area and then alternate in “zipper” fashion into the open lane. Watch a brief video of how it works.

So I'm supposed to merge late?
Yes!"

https://www.dot.state.mn.us/zippermerge/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 02:01 AM

3,349 posts, read 1,237,356 times
not sure but when i'm done running my honda into the ground i'm ramming someone with a nice car who tries to cut in going to the gwb to the deegan when there's a long line of people who are waiting.

Old 02-23-2018, 02:03 AM

3,349 posts, read 1,237,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkit View Post
You should be more tolerant. I see road rage in your future.

Sometimes you have no choice. For example, if I get onto I-80 West in the East Bay of the Bay Area of California at Albany (Buchanan) or Berkeley (Gilman) to get to the left hand exit for I-580, you need to cross 5 lanes in 2 miles in jam packed bumper-t-bumper traffic. 6-7 lanes if you want to get to the HOV lane to SF. And if you should get on at Emeryville near Powell St., you have to cross those lanes in 0.5 miles. The only way to get in is to force your way in.
examples like this are the exception. usually it's some self centered dbag who skips the line and thinks they're special.

Old 02-23-2018, 05:29 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,119,217 times
Quote:
You never know why someone did not get over sooner. Maybe they are being an A-hole, maybe their wife just called and told them their mother died and your convenience is not really that important to them at the moment. Just let them in it hurts you not one bit. Do not freak out, it will not change your arrival time by even a full second. It is really not that difficult to get that life is better when you are nice to people, even if they are not nice to you.
No excuses. You need to get over, do so ahead of time. Endangering others because you weren't smart enough to merge ahead of time is foul.

Quote:
I only do it if I am trying to get over in the lane because my exit is coming up but only if the other driver is trying to speed up so I can't get over. That's when I will speed up and zoom into their lane.
And YOU would cause a wreck with that mindset, then try to lie your way out of accountability. Drivers like you really don't need licenses.

Truth be told, I'm not obligated to let ANYONE in, even if they signal intent. I only let someone in out of the goodness of my heart, and my limit is one driver. It's annoying when someone lets 2,3,4 drivers go ahead of them, ignoring other drivers behind them. This zipper merge everyone talks about, good in theory only if there's sufficient space on the highway that allows for it. It's far more dangerous to zipper merge in heavy traffic because the other drivers have to adjust for YOU because you weren't smart enough to merge ahead of time. I'm talking about seasoned drivers, not tourists to a new city.

Old 02-23-2018, 07:29 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northside904 View Post
No excuses. You need to get over, do so ahead of time. Endangering others because you weren't smart enough to merge ahead of time is foul.

And YOU would cause a wreck with that mindset, then try to lie your way out of accountability. Drivers like you really don't need licenses.

Truth be told, I'm not obligated to let ANYONE in, even if they signal intent. I only let someone in out of the goodness of my heart, and my limit is one driver. It's annoying when someone lets 2,3,4 drivers go ahead of them, ignoring other drivers behind them. This zipper merge everyone talks about, good in theory only if there's sufficient space on the highway that allows for it. It's far more dangerous to zipper merge in heavy traffic because the other drivers have to adjust for YOU because you weren't smart enough to merge ahead of time. I'm talking about seasoned drivers, not tourists to a new city.
You don’t HAVE to let anyone over, but it’s common courtesy, and it makes everything operate more smoothly, rather than having the merge lane jammed up. If I come upon someone sitting there with their signal on, and nobody ahead of me would let them over, I let them over.

Like I said, I’m not going to let five cars go ahead of me, but I will let a couple. The whole idea is that if I let a car go ahead, maybe someone else a car or two back will do the same, and so on... everyone keeps moving. Most road rage is cause by people with a ME FIRST attitude. Everyone on the road needs to work together, that’s what makes the whole system work.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:18 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,119,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
You don’t HAVE to let anyone over, but it’s common courtesy, and it makes everything operate more smoothly, rather than having the merge lane jammed up. If I come upon someone sitting there with their signal on, and nobody ahead of me would let them over, I let them over.

Like I said, I’m not going to let five cars go ahead of me, but I will let a couple. The whole idea is that if I let a car go ahead, maybe someone else a car or two back will do the same, and so on... everyone keeps moving. Most road rage is cause by people with a ME FIRST attitude. Everyone on the road needs to work together, that’s what makes the whole system work.
This I can agree with. When I'm on the interstate highway and someone is coming from the onramp to get on the interstate, I move into the middle lane to let them over.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:53 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times
Simply because NOBODY is going to let you in.

Driving is a contest to see who can be biggest and dumbest dirtbag on the road.

Old 02-23-2018, 10:42 AM

684 posts, read 419,473 times
Someone will always let you in....you may have to wait for a few cars, but eventually someone will. It's way faster that way.

Old 02-23-2018, 11:30 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,594,714 times
Quote:
This I can agree with. When I'm on the interstate highway and someone is coming from the onramp to get on the interstate, I move into the middle lane to let them over.
That’s not just courtesy, it’s common sense too, it became ingrained in me when I was tooling 18 wheelers all around Europe, everyone does it in the U..K., and the Continent too.
I have to say though, I hesitate to take what I see as my rightful place when driving in traffic in the U.S.
Back home, I know both by instinct, and by what I’d been used to seeing in other driver’s reactions, and what they expected, and so knew what other drivers reactions would likely be, and I don’t just mean what they might do if I indicated that I want to make a perfectly innocent manoeuvre.
When I have to switch lanes in the U.S., I invariably feel, even though there’s lots of room to do what I want to do, and I can’t see how it can inconvenience any other driver, that a huge fluorescent arrow appears from the sky, pointing at my car, with a large notice attached, WATCH OUT, THE LIMEY’S GONNA MAKE A MOVE!

Old 02-23-2018, 11:34 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,306,296 times
Quote:
When I can, yes and those that let me in, i thank them buy flicking on my high beam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive