Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 11:13 AM

5 posts, read 6,314 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

I moved to Bozeman from Maryland/DC area this year for college, and was unfortunately unable to bring my car with me (well, looking back on it, fortunately - it *was* an '04 Chrysler Sebring Convertible...). When I return home in the summer, I am looking to purchase a 4WD SUV of some sort (NOT a truck - I'm not a fan of how they drive/size), and would like some input from people more experienced with 4WD. I'll try to keep it short!

The reason I say 4WD is because I absolutely love driving and exploring; backcountry scenic drives are a particular love of mine (bigskyfishing.com scenic drive section). I've never done any sort of off-roading, so I'm not entirely sure what it entails. I need a vehicle that will reliably get me through poor condition backcountry gravel or dirt roads - sometimes even 2-track dirt roads - Forest Service roads, etc., something that can handle potholes, ruts, rocks, washboard, mud, snow, whatever. I will use it to get to hikes or just to explore the rugged country. I want the clearance to be able to get up these roads while feeling safe. I don't plan on doing any crazy steep ascents, mostly because I'm still unfamiliar with western terrain (but I want to get familiar with it!), so I'm not sure about the need for low range, though I guess it can't hurt. Like I said before, I love driving, so I'd be doing it a lot. I also plan on driving this out with me (and possibly back in the summer sometimes) from DC to Bozeman and vice versa, a bit over 2,000 miles, so I want something that is relatively comfortable and *reliable.* My last car was horribly unreliable, so I want something I can count on this time. I'd also like something I can pack a few of my friends and their gear into, so cargo space is important to me.

I've been seriously falling for a 4th-gen Toyota 4Runner. The only thing that turns me off is the gas mileage, but if I want clearance and an exploration machine, I think it's a cost I just have to eat. I'm willing to pay for the gas because of how much I love driving (we all have things we're willing to spend a bit more on). Can anyone give me more info on this/any other options? How does the 4Runner drive (car vs truck)? Is it okay to take on long hauls home or around Montana/the west? What can I expect for gas mileage? How much should I expect to spend on one? I'm fortunate enough to have my parents help me with the cost, but I don't want to break their bank or mine. Keep in mind, broke college student

Thank you guys for reading my short novel. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

-Mindy

Last edited by PJSaturn; 04-20-2017 at 08:16 AM.. Reason: Edited thread title and merged duplicate threads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2017, 05:11 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,526,149 times
I see lots of Subaru Outbacks in ski area parking lots. I think that might be an alternative you would be comfortable with.

Old 03-10-2017, 06:09 PM

4 posts, read 5,094 times
I've been looking at Rav4s for this reason. They are well respected for these applications from what i've read. Reasonable price price point, reliability, and I assume they'll drive more like a car than truck.

Old 03-11-2017, 08:28 AM

Watch out for short wheel based vehicles. I see these in the ditch. I suggested the Subaru because of the wheel base.

We drive 3/4T 4wheel drive pickups, but OP didn't want anything that big.

Old 03-11-2017, 09:16 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,661,333 times
We bought a Subaru Forester (AWD) for the same reasons. Subaru seems to be mandatory in the NW!

We're not overjoyed, though, because it has much less cargo space than we need or had expected, and there are other design issues that make it less desirable to us. But it does great on rough and slick roads, and the gas mileage is outstanding. Besides, it has a nice, smooth ride on the freeway, and an awesome sunroof.

Old 03-14-2017, 08:54 AM

910 posts, read 1,081,634 times
I will offer my advice based on experience. My family and I love exploring, just like you. You need a serious off road rig if you want to explore the forest service roads. Those big signs warning you that the roads are not maintained are there for a reason. I have seen many a Subaru on the side of the dirt road with a busted suspension. Those cars are good for the paved road, and a well maintained dirt road, but not for what you mentioned. Any vehicle you take on these roads will get beaten to heck. You will loose a windshield, get dents in the body, scratches. You need serious offroad tires as well. The sharp rocks will shred regular passenger tires. So if you really want to get out into the unknown, I recommend going into it knowing that you will need to spend some money up front, or purchase a vehicle thats already been modified.

Jeep Wrangler, or the Grand Cherokee/ Cherokee is a good choice. The older 4 runners are good, but parts are expensive. Older Land Rovers. Older Ford Broncos, and Chevy Blazers. The older Nissan Exterras. A good rule is this, if you have never seen that vehicle with a lift kit, it's because it ain't worth it.

Fuel economy with this type of vehicle shouldn't even be a consideration. They all will get 12 to 18 mpg. If you maintain them, they will last and be dependable.

Our current vehicle is a 2005 Ford Expedition 4x4, and I have 2 front lower control arms to replace this summer due to bad bushings. These roads are rough.

Old 03-14-2017, 02:34 PM

If you go the Toyota route, go with Land rover or Land cruiser. The small 4runner is not going to be stout enough or powerful enough for goat trail driving.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
If you go the Toyota route, go with Land rover or Land cruiser. The small 4runner is not going to be stout enough or powerful enough for goat trail driving.
I wrote that out of order. Get a land cruiser if you want a Toyota or get a Land Rover for something stout.

Old 03-15-2017, 08:32 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,372,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
I wrote that out of order. Get a land cruiser if you want a Toyota or get a Land Rover for something stout.

Something tells me the OP isn't made of money (student) so Land Cruiser made in the last 10 years is probably out. Still an option, you can find late 90's-early 2000's Cruisers for 5-10k. Wife has the Lexus version, and it's a great rig. They're thirsty, though.

I wouldn't say a Land Rover is an option unless OP is mechanically inclined. I love Rovers, but I can also work on one if I had to. I especially like the Discovery, as they're fairly simple to work on and tough as nails.

I'm really a Toyota person, I would recommend a 4Runner if you want a full-frame, tough and reliable SUV. More recent 4Runners (2004-present) have shift-on-the-fly 4wd, meaning you can put it in four wheel drive almost any time. Rav4 and Highlander are pretty much the same system, although those two are car-based SUV's. They also aren't as durable, so a used one with high miles (much over 120-130k) might not be such a great idea.

Also, there are still older Jeep Cherokees around in good shape with lower mileage out there to be found. The 90's and up until 2001 Cherokee is a very, very stout car and they'll go anywhere. If you can find one with under 150k miles on it that looks to be well taken care of, it'll probably go to 250k.

Old 03-17-2017, 12:57 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,235,118 times
We have a Subaru Forrester ad a Chevy Silverado 4x4. This winter has been very snowy, but both vehicles worked fine in the snow. There are lots of Subaru Forrester's and Outback's out there. Another vehicle to consider is the Honda Element AWD. I have a 2004, and it performs as well as the other two vehicles in snow. I know the CR-V has AWD versions, and would assume it is the same system as on the Element. I would stay with AWD or 4x4 vehicles if you can (but some front wheel drive cars may do the job "well enough" if you are staying on fire roads, etc.), and after 10 years you can permanently register your vehicle, so a 10 year old vehicle in solid mechanical shape (or needing some repairs you can handle) may be your most cost effective way to do a vehicle for college in MT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive