Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 09:41 AM

9,501 posts, read 4,332,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
I can't say anything about the apparent Ram you bought but the Ford F150 is quieter than my Lincoln, the wifes boss BMW Alpina, and my neighbors new Caddy. As far as fast goes, the 3.5 EB engine in a 4x4 will turn the 1/4 mile in the low 14's. With a chip and tuner, you'll find on YouTube an F150 EB 4x4 blowing the doors off of a Hellcat. It turns the 1/4 mile in just over 11 seconds. Something Hellcat owners are finding out their cars won't do without major modifications to the suspension. FWIW, the EPA on the new 3.5 EB F150 is over 20 town 26 hiway. I know for a fact that the F150 handles like it's on rails. I've had to avoid morons on the hiway that can't seem to drive in their lane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N04wAE-1R18
Note, the truck is launching in 4 wheel drive which is one reason he literally walks away from everybody. A minivan, the one option it doesn't come with is a headstone that pops up when it gets in a wreck.
I'm very familiar with Ford's EB 3.5, having owned 3 different vehicles powered by this engine. Here's the thing: Every other vehicle in which the 3.5TT is available (Taurus, Flex, Explorer, Lincoln MKS & MKT) is lighter than the F150 and responds equally well to tuning, thereby negating your claims of equal or superior performance. Mod for mod, any of the above will out accelerate the F150. It's simple physics. Each of these alternatives come with AWD as well, negating the F150's traction advantage. As a point of reference, Car And Driver ran a 14.4@97mph in a 2017 F150 Crew Cab 4X4 with the 3.5EB and 10 speed automatic. That's a $65K truck. They ran a 14.4@99mph in a 2016 Honda Accord 4dr V6 - a $35K vehicle. I rest my case - by today's standards, the 3.5 EB F150 isn't particularly fast.

The F150 doesn't "handle like it's on rails" - not even close. It's ponderous and has a high center of gravity. It's not in the same league as most cars and minivans.

FWIW - I didn't by a Ram.

I'm glad you like your F150. It's a great truck. I was extremely impressed with the 3.5EB F150 Lariat I test drove, but it's still a truck. Big. Slow. Handles poorly.

Regarding you headstone comment about minivans: There are 2 kinds of safety: 1)Socially responsible active safety - good handling/braking, good driving skills. 2) Passive safety: airbags, seatbelts, etc. But there's a dark side to passive safety - the notion that if you buy a vehicle that's bigger than most other cars on the road, you'll come out ahead in an accident. It's true, but incredibly selfish. I'll take superior handling (car or minivan) over sheer mass (truck) any day of the week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2018, 10:15 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,573,823 times
Never trade a reliable used car for a lease.

And Pacifica is loaded with deadly recalls.

Best bet is to trade it in on the Odyssey.

Old 02-24-2018, 10:22 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Get a Mazda CX-9, one of Car & Drivers 10 Best at a good chunk of change below the Volvo, and about the same as the Odyssey or Pacifica while still featuring three rows of seats.

Old 02-24-2018, 12:05 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,939,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Get a Mazda CX-9, one of Car & Drivers 10 Best at a good chunk of change below the Volvo, and about the same as the Odyssey or Pacifica while still featuring three rows of seats.
The CX-9 is the most gorgeous 3 row seating SUV on the road today. No doubt about that at all.
However, a 3 row SUV is not equal to a minivan in any way shape or form. I used to think SUVs were better for families but now after owning both I can't believe I ever thought a 3 row SUV was in the same league as a minivan. With kids a minivan is so much easier living. https://jalopnik.com/parents-just-bu...van-1597502940

First thing to keep in mind is that 3 row seating SUVs assume your kids are not in car seats. Yes I know the seats flip forward or something, and car seats are only for little kids, but in today's helicopter parent world, legally kids have to be in some kid of car seat until they're 15. This will only get worse not better because no politician will ever reverse car seat requirements if they want to keep their career. Taking risk with kids is a sure fire way to incur the wrath of safety conscience parents who firmly believe the laws are too liberal, kids should be in car seats until they're at least 35 and should wear a helmet in the car at all times.
Three row seating SUVs require grandma and grandpa to huddle squat through the center tunnel to take their 3rd row seats, or of course you could move the 2nd row car seats to the 3rd row and you perform the huddle squat yourself. Then take some Motrin, that will help with your back later. Put the kids in the 3rd row and you'll have the pleasure of pulling over every 5 minutes to pick up a lovey that fell to the floor. In a minivan you can wear a top hat and twirl a cane while you stroll to the 3rd row. Yes, I know in theory this all sounds like it'll all work out with a 3 row SUV and that's its a small price to pay for holding onto your youth just a bit longer and looking like a fun and youthful parent, but we all know that's not the case. We all know you're fooling yourself just like a 60 year old in a purple Subaru WRX.

Old 02-24-2018, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
I have an old Honda (which is great) and need to trade it in for a 3 row vehicle. My wife has an older RX350. My current options wife approved) are to trade in/ sell my Honda to:

1) Lease a Volvo XC90 for 3 years (wife loves the SUV and will happily drive) and for me to eventually trade in/ sell the RX350 for a fun, manual car (GTI, WRX, STI...)

2) Buy a minivan (likely the Odyssey or Pacifica Hybrid) and in 2-3 years my wife would trade her RX350 in for an automatic sedan.

I'm torn because I like the functionality of a minivan > and SUV and I kind of feel like manual transmissions will go away in the next 3-5 years, so I should enjoy one ASAP.

What do you think?
Honesty the Pacifica hybrid is your best option. Its pretty much optioned as the highest trim level gas Pacifica, you'll get a $7500 federal tax credit for owning it, and the energy cost is undisputed for a 3 row seating vehicle. The infotainment system puts the Odyssey to shame. Odysseys are for housewives who don't know any better.

For a fun car, a Mazda MX5. You can have both for less than a decently optioned XC90.

Old 02-26-2018, 11:49 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,694,459 times
Get an Escalade. 3rd row, as you indicate a need for it. Prior to trading it in for my current CTS, it never left me stranded and still turned heads after 10 years of ownership. you don't wanna drive a mini van, unless your wife plans to drive it lol
Am personally against leases, if it was me I'd buy.
Good Luck

Old 02-26-2018, 12:06 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,055,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytrekker View Post
never trade a reliable used car for a lease.

And pacifica is loaded with deadly recalls.

Best bet is to trade it in on the odyssey.
ditto!!!!!

Old 02-26-2018, 01:17 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Since the FCA takeover Chrysler now makes some pretty decent cars.

They still make really terrible cars too.

Pacifica.
Patroit
Compass
Calibre
. . .
While not as bad as some of these models used to be, they are all pretty terrible. If you get one the flagship engines (Pentastar or Hemi) you may at least get consistent engine performance and durability (as long as the Pentastar does not blow a gasket).

I am a general fan of Chrysler's star models, but so many of their "other" models are terrible by comparison to competing vehicles.

Old 02-26-2018, 03:09 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,498,519 times
Skip the Chrysler Pacifica and a Town and Country.
Both of these are the same vehicle. Interior is riddled with cheap plastic and inferior components.
Electrical problems galore. I wince every time one of these turds come in the shop.

Old 02-26-2018, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtea View Post
Skip the Chrysler Pacifica and a Town and Country.
Both of these are the same vehicle. Interior is riddled with cheap plastic and inferior components.
Electrical problems galore. I wince every time one of these turds come in the shop.
Actually I find the Japanese vans to be riddled with cheap plastics and outdated electronics. Their big chunky childish looking buttons look like they’re right out of 1995. The Pacifica is the more upscale of the minivan lineup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive