Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 10:14 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,231,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
...A minivan is a far, far better choice for 99% of people than a truck.
Riiiiiiight! That's why minivans outsell pickups 99-1.

Oh, they don't? Hmmmmm....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 10:32 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,231,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
... in today's helicopter parent world, legally kids have to be in some kid of car seat until they're 15....
Did you intend to type "15"? Is that true???? Geez, I know 15-year-old kids who are 200 pounds plus --heavyweight wrestlers, football linemen.... My (local) grandkids are college age now, but when I was hauling them around I thought mandatory child seat use depended on height -- something like 4'8" or thereabouts. What you're saying is that they can get out of the carseat when they're old enough for a learner's permit? Or in some cases, they get learner's permits at age 14. Uhhhhh....

Or were you kidding?

Just looking for clarification/confirmation.

I once had a girlfriend who was a dwarf. I think she was just under 4 feet. I probably should have had her in a child's seat.

Old 02-26-2018, 11:05 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,500,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Actually I find the Japanese vans to be riddled with cheap plastics and outdated electronics. Their big chunky childish looking buttons look like they’re right out of 1995. The Pacifica is the more upscale of the minivan lineup.
Yea that's what they want you to think.
You going to believe a salesman or someone that has worked on automobiles for a living for 38 years?
Those things are full of over-enginered gadgets that are riddled with problems. You want reliability and a good resale value...stay clear of the Pacifica.

Old 02-27-2018, 07:31 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,944,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtea View Post
Yea that's what they want you to think.
You going to believe a salesman or someone that has worked on automobiles for a living for 38 years?
Those things are full of over-enginered gadgets that are riddled with problems. You want reliability and a good resale value...stay clear of the Pacifica.
Honda has “Cabin Watch” which is a video camera that spies on the kids in the 1st and second rows, along with an intercom to talk to those kids. Pacifica uses a mirror. You want to lecture me on “over engineered”?

And no, I’m not believing someone who worked on cars for 38 years on anything technology related.

Old 02-27-2018, 07:36 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,944,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Did you intend to type "15"? Is that true???? Geez, I know 15-year-old kids who are 200 pounds plus --heavyweight wrestlers, football linemen.... My (local) grandkids are college age now, but when I was hauling them around I thought mandatory child seat use depended on height -- something like 4'8" or thereabouts. What you're saying is that they can get out of the carseat when they're old enough for a learner's permit? Or in some cases, they get learner's permits at age 14. Uhhhhh....

Or were you kidding?

Just looking for clarification/confirmation.

I once had a girlfriend who was a dwarf. I think she was just under 4 feet. I probably should have had her in a child's seat.
I’m half joking. It’s not 15 yet...
https://saferide4kids.com/blog/8to14safeincartoo/

Every year it seems to get worse. It’s a race to the bottom to see which state requires everybody under 200 lbs and under 6 feet tall to ride in a booster first.

Old 02-27-2018, 08:06 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,090,898 times
Quote:
Skip the Chrysler Pacifica and a Town and Country.
Both of these are the same vehicle..

No, they aren't. Completely different chassis. The T&C is the OLD chassis that has been around forever. The Pacifica is a new chassis and platform (which is why there's a Plug In Hybrid version). The PHEV version is a GREAT deal with the tax credit, and is an excellent choice for those wanting the space of a minivan instead of an SUV/CUV with outstanding fuel mileage (getting 30+ miles of range on just battery power, which covers most daily use by the average family)

The PHEV Pacifica also does not have any recalls on it, unlike what some other poster here claimed (and even the recall on the regular non-hybrid has been taken care of and only affected the 2017 models).

Old 02-27-2018, 08:20 AM

LOL ok...go buy yourself one. I tried.

Old 02-27-2018, 08:53 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,090,898 times
Quote:
LOL ok...go buy yourself one. I tried.

YOu claim to know cars and claim to have given educated advice but you don't even know that the Pacifica is on a completely different platform than the T&C, which calls in to question your advice. The Pacifica is an all new vehicle that is getting rage reviews and owners love it. if I needed a minivan, the PHEV Pacifica is the only one I'd choose right now. Stow and Go seating is amazing, and 30+ miles of electric operation means that I'd rarely need to put gas in it.

Old 02-27-2018, 08:55 AM

9,504 posts, read 4,339,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Riiiiiiight! That's why minivans outsell pickups 99-1.

Oh, they don't? Hmmmmm....
People buy vehicles based on emotions, perceived image, etc., none of which has anything to do with whether the vehicle is the best choice for a given purpose. How could you be unaware of this?

Old 02-27-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
YOu claim to know cars and claim to have given educated advice but you don't even know that the Pacifica is on a completely different platform than the T&C, which calls in to question your advice. The Pacifica is an all new vehicle that is getting rage reviews and owners love it. if I needed a minivan, the PHEV Pacifica is the only one I'd choose right now. Stow and Go seating is amazing, and 30+ miles of electric operation means that I'd rarely need to put gas in it.
Who cares if it's the same platform or not.
They are both problematic vehicles that I have driven and worked on numerous times.
Reading the reviews and tech specs online and thinking you know all about them is completely different than real world experience. How many have you worked on and even driven in the last 5 years?
Believe all the marketing gimmicks you want, but my experience with the Pacifica and Town & Country has not been good.
I used to be a Chrysler/Dodge fan, but the quality in the last few years has taken a nose dive.
Another poster mentioned some of the turds that they produce now, and I agree.
Pacifica, 200, Nitro, Compass, Renegade and some others are all loaded with cheap components that do not last.
Just because a vehicle is loaded with all the latest in toys and technology, does not mean these are quality components. They are not.
You can dip a turd in gold, but it's still a turd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive