Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 07:04 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,249,611 times

Advertisements

driving in the rain this evening, I saw a car on the side of the road. Apparently, they hit the shoulder and lost control due to the steep drop.

Who do people normally call when they get into trouble. I assume 911, but is that an emergency?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 07:17 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Injuries, 9-1-1, otherwise, you call a tow truck.

If you are passing by and see the wreck hapoen, you can call 9-1-1 and report the location.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:34 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
311 for non-emergency or highway patrol or roadside assist or tow truck or friend/family to pick you up.

Old 02-24-2018, 09:30 AM
KCZ

4,676 posts, read 3,669,799 times
311 service only works in certain large cities/counties in the US (80 are listed on Wikipedia). It's not valid anywhere in my state. The rest of us need to pro-actively check what other resources are available in our areas.

Old 02-24-2018, 11:49 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times
I called 911 once when my car died on the interstate. It was about -20F with a windchill factor of -50F, iirc. The engine died just as I was approaching an off ramp. I was thinking there was a service station at that off ramp, but there was nothing -- not for 20 miles or so (central South Dakota). My girlfriend and I were dressed for winter but not for -50F, so I called 911, explained the situation and said I hoped calling 911 was okay. The operator said she thought it sounded like an emergency to her. About a half hour later a tow truck showed up. The battery was frozen and split open. The alternator had failed, and I didn't catch it. We ended up being stranded for 5 days, as the closest alternator for the car (Saab) was somewhere in Canada, and the roads closed for a few days so nothing was getting into or out of town. And I was sick the whole time!

Old 02-24-2018, 01:06 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,558,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
I called 911 once when my car died on the interstate. It was about -20F with a windchill factor of -50F, iirc. The engine died just as I was approaching an off ramp. I was thinking there was a service station at that off ramp, but there was nothing -- not for 20 miles or so (central South Dakota). My girlfriend and I were dressed for winter but not for -50F, so I called 911, explained the situation and said I hoped calling 911 was okay. The operator said she thought it sounded like an emergency to her. About a half hour later a tow truck showed up. The battery was frozen and split open. The alternator had failed, and I didn't catch it. We ended up being stranded for 5 days, as the closest alternator for the car (Saab) was somewhere in Canada, and the roads closed for a few days so nothing was getting into or out of town. And I was sick the whole time!
Wow, what a nightmare.

I have AAA for all calls unless it is an emergency.

Old 02-24-2018, 01:58 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,820,038 times
Where I am from, if you don't call the police and just call a tow truck, the tow truck driver is required to call them and report it. Happened to my son, he took a turn too fast and both his passenger side tires hit the curb, rendering the car undriveable. He called a tow truck and the driver called to report it to the police. Told him he was required to by law. It ended up on his driving record, which affected his rates.

*Edit- this in case of an accident, not a breakdown. You don't have to and shouldn't call the police for a breakdown unless your life is in danger.

Last edited by goldenlove; 02-24-2018 at 02:18 PM..

Old 02-24-2018, 03:07 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,211,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
311 service only works in certain large cities/counties in the US (80 are listed on Wikipedia). It's not valid anywhere in my state. The rest of us need to pro-actively check what other resources are available in our areas.
So, if I'm not in my area (as so often happens), and I'm out in the dark in pouring rain on a back road, how exactly do I pro-actively check what resources are available in my area?

Old 02-24-2018, 06:16 PM

220 posts, read 145,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
Where I am from, if you don't call the police and just call a tow truck, the tow truck driver is required to call them and report it. Happened to my son, he took a turn too fast and both his passenger side tires hit the curb, rendering the car undriveable. He called a tow truck and the driver called to report it to the police. Told him he was required to by law. It ended up on his driving record, which affected his rates.
In Colorado the tow truck driver was required to report on the spot any slide-off or other incident that resulted in $1000 damage. So a broken headlamp and dinging of the surrounding sheet metal. In the rural area I lived in that meant long waits, maybe hours, for an officer to arrive.

I don't know if that applied in cities.

Old 02-24-2018, 06:51 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Wow, what a nightmare.

I have AAA for all calls unless it is an emergency.
well said trihiker. wyo, you were in a bad situation, in your case i think 911 was the best call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive