Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 12:04 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,870,404 times

Advertisements

I have an old Honda (which is great) and need to trade it in for a 3 row vehicle. My wife has an older RX350. My current options wife approved) are to trade in/ sell my Honda to:

1) Lease a Volvo XC90 for 3 years (wife loves the SUV and will happily drive) and for me to eventually trade in/ sell the RX350 for a fun, manual car (GTI, WRX, STI...)

2) Buy a minivan (likely the Odyssey or Pacifica Hybrid) and in 2-3 years my wife would trade her RX350 in for an automatic sedan.

I'm torn because I like the functionality of a minivan > and SUV and I kind of feel like manual transmissions will go away in the next 3-5 years, so I should enjoy one ASAP.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 12:10 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,141,337 times
3)Lease the van, and get a fun manual car.

Old 02-23-2018, 12:13 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,860,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
I have an old Honda (which is great) and need to trade it in for a 3 row vehicle. My wife has an older RX350. My current options wife approved) are to trade in/ sell my Honda to:

1) Lease a Volvo XC90 for 3 years (wife loves the SUV and will happily drive) and for me to eventually trade in/ sell the RX350 for a fun, manual car (GTI, WRX, STI...)

2) Buy a minivan (likely the Odyssey or Pacifica Hybrid) and in 2-3 years my wife would trade her RX350 in for an automatic sedan.

I'm torn because I like the functionality of a minivan > and SUV and I kind of feel like manual transmissions will go away in the next 3-5 years, so I should enjoy one ASAP.

What do you think?
The cost to own a Pacifica hybrid is going to be dramatically less than the XC90 and is still more functional if that helps throw more money on the pile to get a fun car. Manuals aren’t going away in 3 years and there’s always the used market in case it does.

Old 02-23-2018, 12:30 PM

30,702 posts, read 79,403,084 times
Quote:
I sell the RX350 for a fun, manual car (GTI, WRX, STI...)
In 3-5 years you will be over 20 and probably interested in a different car altogether. (Unless that is enough time to put you into the midlife crises - then you need a vette.)

Old 02-23-2018, 01:04 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,789,309 times
I'd strongly suggest a 4 door pickup. You have a lot of room in one, they are FAR safer than anything you listed, and with a cover over the bed you can carry a lot of gear out of the weather. You'll still get decent gas mileage(over20), have loads of power, sit higher in traffic, great ride, and a heck of lot quieter than anything you listed. Handling will be as good or better. If you go drive one of your choice, you'll probably come home with it. The word "pickup" sounds like a piece of construction equipment but todays pickups are far from construction equipment.

Old 02-23-2018, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
I'd strongly suggest a 4 door pickup. You have a lot of room in one, they are FAR safer than anything you listed, and with a cover over the bed you can carry a lot of gear out of the weather. You'll still get decent gas mileage(over20), have loads of power, sit higher in traffic, great ride, and a heck of lot quieter than anything you listed. Handling will be as good or better. If you go drive one of your choice, you'll probably come home with it. The word "pickup" sounds like a piece of construction equipment but todays pickups are far from construction equipment.
3 row seating pickup?

Old 02-23-2018, 04:27 PM

9,397 posts, read 4,225,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Your seriously don't believe any of that, do you? I just bought a new truck. I'm not going to say what I ended up buying, but I test drove mid to high trim levels of the F150, Silverado, Ram, and Tundra. The MSRP on my truck was about $49K. My 4 year old car cost slightly less when I purchased it new. It is much faster, handles much better, is quieter, more comfortable, and loads more fun to drive than any of the pickups I tested. A minivan is a far, far better choice for 99% of people than a truck.

Old 02-23-2018, 10:21 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,250,209 times
Quote:

What do you think?
No to Pacifica.
Sell the Lexus yourself. You’ll get about 20-30% more if you sell yourself.

The Odyssey imo is a great minivans. My other choice in a minivan would be a Sienna

Old 02-24-2018, 12:52 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,789,309 times
Quote:
It is much faster, handles much better, is quieter, more comfortable, and loads more fun to drive than any of the pickups I tested. A minivan is a far, far better choice for 99% of people than a truck.
I can't say anything about the apparent Ram you bought but the Ford F150 is quieter than my Lincoln, the wifes boss BMW Alpina, and my neighbors new Caddy. As far as fast goes, the 3.5 EB engine in a 4x4 will turn the 1/4 mile in the low 14's. With a chip and tuner, you'll find on YouTube an F150 EB 4x4 blowing the doors off of a Hellcat. It turns the 1/4 mile in just over 11 seconds. Something Hellcat owners are finding out their cars won't do without major modifications to the suspension. FWIW, the EPA on the new 3.5 EB F150 is over 20 town 26 hiway. I know for a fact that the F150 handles like it's on rails. I've had to avoid morons on the hiway that can't seem to drive in their lane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N04wAE-1R18
Note, the truck is launching in 4 wheel drive which is one reason he literally walks away from everybody. A minivan, the one option it doesn't come with is a headstone that pops up when it gets in a wreck.

Old 02-24-2018, 05:16 AM

I highly recommend the Pacifica
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive