Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 12:33 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,423,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
The ones who want self driving cars are the ones who can’t drive a car now because they are texting or have their phone up to their ear, or eating and driving at the same time you know the people who could give a rats butt about other drivers safety.
I have only ever owned Manual Transmissions. I don't want one so I can just sit back and text.

But if traffic can be reduced greatly, get rid of the idea of a car crash, and be more productive during my commute, then what are the drawbacks?
People like me who "enjoy" driving will either die off soon enough or will have to enjoy driving at niche car racing tracks, if they still exist.

I enjoy technology and advancement, simple as that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 04:21 PM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Nope - There is no such requirement in AZ. They can hit the panic button and pull the car over. That is it...

At first, most of Waymo's driverless cars will have an employee in the back observing the vehicle's behavior. If something goes really wrong, they'll be able to push the "pull over" button to stop the car. In the coming months, participants in Waymo's early rider program will start getting the option to ride in fully driverless vehicles.
https://arstechnica.com/cars/2017/11...cars-are-here/

And soon a full driverless car service will be implemented. The Luddites are in trouble on this one.
That says they can push a pull over button. It does not say that is the only button. As the picture I posted shows, these vehicles use USB game controllers. They have at least a half dozen buttons to choose from, plus a joystick to control the vehicle with. If the software crashes, the driver must be able to move the vehicle out of traffic.

Old 02-28-2018, 06:06 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,423,753 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8R148hFxPw

Old 03-06-2018, 04:05 PM

956 posts, read 510,635 times
I just pray to god that these death machine robot autonomous cars never make it into the mainstream in my lifetime. They are so terrifying and dangerous.

Old 03-07-2018, 05:40 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
The article jumped the shark when it said that autonomous vehicles are intrinsically linked to electric vehicles. I agree that electric vehicles aren't ready for prime time and are currently just a curiosity. I think we're going to see a much more rapid adoption of autonomous vehicles than electric vehicles. The article rightfully points out that many people are afraid of being stranded with a dead battery in an electric car.
It seems to me you have this completely backwards considering EV's are already primetime and cars that drive themselves are basically still a curiosity.

Old 03-07-2018, 07:03 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
It seems to me you have this completely backwards considering EV's are already primetime and cars that drive themselves are basically still a curiosity.
Some of the truck systems are retrofitable to existing vehicles. Get a few thousand of them on the road and you can get billions of miles a year. Just a couple of years of that and you have the data to remove the humans.

Can come on much faster than the cars which involve replacing the existing fleet. And for a long while can selectively replace only the easiest and safest examples.

Old 03-08-2018, 02:35 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,387,704 times
Self drive car manufacturers will have to charge a premium to cover liability risks.

Old 03-08-2018, 05:24 PM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Self drive car manufacturers will have to charge a premium to cover liability risks.
Exactly. Add to that the premium they will add to recover the massive research and development costs, and this will be nothing but a niche product for the very rich. Meanwhile most people will continue to drive older and older cars to avoid the sticker shock of buying into this worthless technology.

Old 03-08-2018, 06:21 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Exactly. Add to that the premium they will add to recover the massive research and development costs, and this will be nothing but a niche product for the very rich. Meanwhile most people will continue to drive older and older cars to avoid the sticker shock of buying into this worthless technology.
Nope. The timing is certainly in doubt...but the outcome is not.

Insurance on human driven vehicles will rise out of sight as the AV take over. I would expect the manufacturers to self insure. Remember each incident will have a voluminous record. That is going to nail a human driver virtually every time.

The development cost spread over the entire vehicle fleet will actually be small. More interesting will be the implementation cost. Not much for a $100,000 truck but driving it to a few thousand for a low end car will be a challenge.

Old 03-26-2018, 03:04 PM

2,669 posts, read 2,092,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine607 View Post
I just pray to god that these death machine robot autonomous cars never make it into the mainstream in my lifetime. They are so terrifying and dangerous.

Well anything is an improvement over the human drivers. The estimate is that at least 40,000 Americans died in car accidents in 2017:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ths/340012002/

There must've been a lot more people with injuries.

I pray to god that these self driving cars take over soon so that the horrible US drivers stop killing so many innocent people...

Last edited by DefiantNJ; 03-26-2018 at 03:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive