Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 11:50 AM

5,271 posts, read 6,203,820 times

Advertisements

When I replace my Grand Cherokee I would consider the diesel version.

That being said- in passenger cars hybrids and smaller displacement turbocharged engines have really made up a lot of ground on the fuel mileage front. And the durability of the diesel engine is becoming a moot point since the rest of the car is typically falling apart with modern manufacturing. The mother of a high school friend had an 80s Mercedes diesel that basically lasted the full length of my friends education- elementary school through college. One of my current friends had a similar model (which we converted to grease...) that only died about 4 years ago. I am not seeing many current models that will live up to that engine life aside from Toyota trucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 11:53 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,732,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
"FCA should keep diesel options for its commercial vehicles and U.S. pickups, such as the high-selling Ram 1500."

Just the cars and mostly European models. Diesel is going away in Europe across most makes due to upcoming bans on it. Ironic after propping it up with favorable tax rates that made diesel cheaper in Europe.
Until they figured out that the particulate pollution kills a lot of people. They’d rather not support that now that they know.

Old 02-28-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
When I replace my Grand Cherokee I would consider the diesel version.

That being said- in passenger cars hybrids and smaller displacement turbocharged engines have really made up a lot of ground on the fuel mileage front. And the durability of the diesel engine is becoming a moot point since the rest of the car is typically falling apart with modern manufacturing. The mother of a high school friend had an 80s Mercedes diesel that basically lasted the full length of my friends education- elementary school through college. One of my current friends had a similar model (which we converted to grease...) that only died about 4 years ago. I am not seeing many current models that will live up to that engine life aside from Toyota trucks.
And definitely not FCA products.

Old 03-01-2018, 06:49 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,655,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
Until they figured out that the particulate pollution kills a lot of people. They’d rather not support that now that they know.
Where's proof that diesel emissions are killing people?

Old 03-01-2018, 09:39 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,569,560 times
Diesel engines can run on other fuels as well, with little modification, some are extremely clean burning.

Old 03-01-2018, 01:56 PM

41,815 posts, read 51,008,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
"FCA should keep diesel options for its commercial vehicles and U.S. pickups, such as the high-selling Ram 1500."

Just the cars and mostly European models. Diesel is going away in Europe across most makes due to upcoming bans on it. Ironic after propping it up with favorable tax rates that made diesel cheaper in Europe.
Diesel produces less CO2 hence the reason they were incentivizing it's use. It also produces more particulate and other emissions that can harm your health which is a huge problem in dense urban areas if it's the primary fuel.

Here in the US the emission standards are based on fleet averages, you need to sell a lot of low emission cars to sell larger vehicles like pickups. Small diesel engines simply don't fit into that scheme because of the higher emissions.

Old 03-02-2018, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
It also produces more particulate and other emissions that can harm your health which is a huge problem in dense urban areas if it's the primary fuel.
Exactly. There's a reason why older buildings in urban areas are often blackened. That is diesel soot.

Old 03-02-2018, 03:47 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,671,849 times
Diesel is on decline because of the EPA fines and EV taking over the industry. It won't be long when we'll be seeing EV make it to trucks and commercial buses and that will be the end of big oil.

Old 03-05-2018, 09:49 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,926,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Diesel produces less CO2 hence the reason they were incentivizing it's use. It also produces more particulate and other emissions that can harm your health which is a huge problem in dense urban areas if it's the primary fuel.

Here in the US the emission standards are based on fleet averages, you need to sell a lot of low emission cars to sell larger vehicles like pickups. Small diesel engines simply don't fit into that scheme because of the higher emissions.
You guys are missing the point. Diesels no longer emit those pollutants due to the new aftertreatment urea-based systems on them now.

Those same aftertreatment systems, which add cost, weight, complexity and quality issues to the cars is the main reason diesel is challenged now. It costs WAY more to build a diesel car than it used to (due to the expensive aftertreatment components) not to mention you have to do a whole bunch of special package engineering to fit the DPF/SCR equipment (including the DEF tank) in the car somewhere.

It’s no longer as simple as designing a gas car and just dropping a different engine in there. Totally different ballgame now...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive