Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 05:46 AM

212 posts, read 162,140 times

Advertisements

They sell a magnetic small box which you can fit your keys in and keep hidden on your car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2018, 08:33 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,400,197 times
My infiniti is programmed to not lock the doors unless it senses a key out side the cara. Same with the trumk etc. I guess this programming could fail but so far it has not. If one key is in the car and one is out of the car it will lock as it senses one outside the vehicle. It has the remote entry system as well as a push button start which works if a key is within a foot or two of the button. Best invention with technology other than the rear and front crash sensor that will break for you and warns you in case you miss seeing a vehicle coming up to half a block or more away

Im sure other makes have this option in the newer cars too

Old 03-04-2018, 09:27 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,823,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dozerbear View Post
A locksmith should be able to make a copy of your key using a regular flat key blank that is much more wallet friendly.
A lot of the modern cars have computer chips within that can't be duplicated except at the factory, making spares cost $300-400 each and take weeks.

My plan is that if I lock myself out, I find a way home, (Uber, etc).
Use my outside-emergency house key to get in my house to the spare car key there.
Phone a friend for a ride back to the car. (Done this twice).

I had AAA at the time, but all they do is sub-contract to local locksmiths and the wait is often longer then doing what I did above.

Old 03-04-2018, 10:05 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,818,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dozerbear View Post
A locksmith should be able to make a copy of your key using a regular flat key blank that is much more wallet friendly.
This is what I have done for years. I always had a spare key in my wallet that would unlock the car. For the last several years, due to the chip keys and such, this spare wouldn't start the car but it would get me inside.

My Toyota has a fob (with an emergency blade key integrated). Apparently the car is designed so you can't possibly get locked out. I've tested it and it seems pretty foolproof, but stuff happens. I've thought about having a copy of the emergency key made so I can hide it somewhere on the vehicle.

Lexus vehicles have wallet keys. It's a flat fob that will fit in your wallet like a credit card. Apparently you can retrofit these to various Toyota vehicles. It's just a matter of purchasing the correct walley key, a data cable, and the software needed to program the key/vehicle with a laptop. I've considered this, but it's a pricey option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
A lot of the modern cars have computer chips within that can't be duplicated except at the factory, making spares cost $300-400 each and take weeks.
You don't need a chip key to simply unlock the door in order to retrieve your standard (chip) key that is locked inside which will of course start the vehicle.

Old 03-04-2018, 12:44 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,052,256 times
I got out of my car to get the mail at the box. Closed the door with the AC running and the key in the ignition. Locked out. My neighbor had AAA and I used it. It took them 2 hours to get there, all the while the AC was on. Now, I never close the door fully, when I have to step out.

Old 03-04-2018, 01:42 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,925,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
My infiniti is programmed to not lock the doors unless it senses a key out side the cara. Same with the trumk etc. I guess this programming could fail but so far it has not. If one key is in the car and one is out of the car it will lock as it senses one outside the vehicle. It has the remote entry system as well as a push button start which works if a key is within a foot or two of the button. Best invention with technology other than the rear and front crash sensor that will break for you and warns you in case you miss seeing a vehicle coming up to half a block or more away

Im sure other makes have this option in the newer cars too
My Lexus has that same feature. I like things that are "stupid-proof".

Old 03-04-2018, 02:33 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,958,911 times
Here's something a locksmith told me. Keys can be copied from outside your home. All a thief needs to do is get the signal from your key and program another to just drive away in your car.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bR8RrmEizVg

Old 03-04-2018, 02:45 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,571,809 times
I've decided if this ever happens, I will just smash the window on my piece-of-junk and caulk-in a piece of plexiglass.

Old 03-04-2018, 03:20 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,847,869 times
My spare key is one that does not have the chip so I can not start the car but it will open it.
It is part of my belt buckle! Today, but only after I got into trouble!

Also, when I get in the car and start it, the doors will lock about a second after I start it.
If I leave the car open it will not lock it. The locks open when I stop the engine.

One bad thing is when I unlock the alarm and open the trunk to put things in it, if it takes too long, before I start the car, the doors will lock.
Of course, at one time I left the keys on the floor of the trunk and then slammed the trunk lid down ... Then the doors locked but luckily my wife was with me to turn off the alarm again and open the doors ...

Old 03-04-2018, 03:24 PM

2,458 posts, read 2,472,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
Here's something a locksmith told me. Keys can be copied from outside your home. All a thief needs to do is get the signal from your key and program another to just drive away in your car.
I've heard this. I can foresee a time when your car can only be unlocked and driven by either fingerprint or facial recognition.

Last edited by volosong; 03-05-2018 at 01:11 PM.. Reason: added missing close quote hypertag
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive