Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 09:45 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,164,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
I understand that you guys don't like my attitude, which is fine, but explain what you disagree with in my OP. Is that not why we are on a forum? To discuss things? Cleverly (or not so, in your case) insulting people while ALSO refuting/discussing their ideas is the real point, right?

Instead of just calling me a "know it all" why don't you say "you think you know everything but you're wrong because x,y,z" ? I've pleaded my case, what's yours?
You didn't include me, but if you don't mind me stabbing at this...

Suppose you were diagnosed with a curable problem, but...
  • The doctor was bringing you into the office on a monthly basis ($200 a visit).
  • Prescribing meds that cost $150 a month.
  • Doing labs that cost $100 a month.
  • After starting to get theses problems under control, the doctor says to you, BTW, you also have uncontrolled high blood pressure that can lead to heart attack. I want you to also start taking these meds ($300 a month) and I need you to start coming into the office for a few more tests ($100).

Nobody would dispute that the doctor was doing what he or she thinks is best for the patient - health wise, but when the doctor is told many times over that the patient has no insurance and no means to pay for those meds and tests and visits while also going to work at a minimum wage job and feeding a kid you have to realize that something's gotta give.

Who's fault was this, certainly not the doctor's.

But you are like that doctor. Prescribing potentially costly fix after costly fix. Does a person's car need those fixes, yes. But when there is no money in the bank to do them, no matter how important they are, like the doctors solutions, they are most likely not going to get done.

But to make matters worse, your attitude would be like the doctor not only demanding all these procedures and cost be met, but also scolding the patient for not making enough money to take care of the problem as soon as the doctor says - JUMP I SAY, JUMP NOW!

Nobody here disagrees that problems put off are going to lead to other problem. I have always had a philosophy that I would always fix every automotive problem I have come up ASAP - usually immediately, but then I (a) have always had good jobs with which I could pay for these fixes, and surprise, surprise, I have also done all my own mechanic work for the last 35 years.

It is not about getting repairs done on YOUR schedule. It is about what the owner can afford to fix and when they can afford to fix it - if they can. And just like in life and death, there are some people who will just not even acknowledge the problem, they will ignore it because they just can't handle the issue at that certain time.

Your rants are not news to anyone who knows anything about cars. Nor are they probably to those who don't know much about cars either. But when you come here anyway - to this forum and start ranting, you are not informing, you are not instructing, you are not helping, you are just venting your spleen; and in general, compared to other threads and issues, about something relatively inconsequential.

I doubt anyone would bat an eye if your non-information was delivered without all the bile you dispense, but you make your own advice - no matter good or bad- unpalatable.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 03-10-2018 at 10:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2018, 09:55 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Must be hard being so much smarter than everyone else.
There are a whole lot of stupid people out there so yea it is harder when you’re smarter than others

Old 03-10-2018, 10:00 AM

1,166 posts, read 876,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
There are a whole lot of stupid people out there so yea it is harder when you’re smarter than others

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of them are stupider than that!" - George Carlin

Old 03-10-2018, 10:09 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Depends on the make/model too. Some are junk no matter how well you maintain them.

Old 03-10-2018, 10:10 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Well, this little thread went well, didn't it ?

Old 03-10-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
You didn't include me, but if you don't mind me stabbing at this...

Suppose you were diagnosed with a curable problem, but...
  • The doctor was bringing you into the office on a monthly basis ($200 a visit).
  • Prescribing meds that cost $150 a month.
  • Doing labs that cost $100 a month.
  • After starting to get theses problems under control, the doctor says to you, BTW, you also have uncontrolled high blood pressure that can lead to heart attack. I want you to also start taking these meds ($300 a month) and I need you to start coming into the office for a few more tests ($100).

Nobody would dispute that the doctor was doing what he or she thinks is best for the patient - health wise, but when the doctor is told many times over that the patient has no insurance and no means to pay for those meds and tests and visits while also going to work at a minimum wage job and feeding a kid you have to realize that something's gotta give.

Who's fault was this, certainly not the doctor's.

But you are like that doctor. Prescribing potentially costly fix after costly fix. Does a person's car need those fixes, yes. But when there is no money in the bank to do them, no matter how important they are, like the doctors solutions, they are most likely not going to get done.

But to make matters worse, your attitude would be like the doctor not only demanding all these procedures and cost be met, but also scolding the patient for not making enough money to take care of the problem as soon as the doctor says - JUMP I SAY, JUMP NOW!

Nobody here disagrees that problems put off are going to lead to other problem. I have always had a philosophy that I would always fix every automotive problem I have come up ASAP - usually immediately, but then I (a) have always had good jobs with which I could pay for these fixes, and surprise, surprise, I have also done all my own mechanic work for the last 35 years.

It is not about getting repairs done on YOUR schedule. It is about what the owner can afford to fix and when they can afford to fix it - if they can. And just like in life and death, there are some people who will just not even acknowledge the problem, they will ignore it because they just can't handle the issue at that certain time.

Your rants are not news to anyone who knows anything about cars. Nor are they probably to those who don't know much about cars either. But when you come here anyway - to this forum and start ranting, you are not informing, you are not instructing, you are not helping, you are just venting your spleen; and in general, compared to other threads and issues, about something relatively inconsequential.

I doubt anyone would bat an eye if your non-information was delivered without all the bile you dispense, but you make your own advice - no matter good or bad- unpalatable.

I'm not holding being broke against poor people, although I make no excuses for them, if you're poor it's because of the decisions you've made in life and your inability/unwillingness to change things.

I'm more against people who want things both ways, they DON'T want to spend more money and buy a nicer car, and they ALSO don't want to spend money on their POS to keep it on the road. Sorry folks, you can't have it all! Expecting any different is only setting yourself up for disappointment.

Expecting me to feel sorry for folks who can't afford to fix their cars, or that ignore problems to save money and things end up costing them more in the long run is laughable. TAKE SOME RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR LIVES, PEOPLE!!! If you can't afford something IT'S YOUR OWN DAMN FAULT!!! Suck it up and deal with it like everybody else, I'm sick of listening to their complaining!

Your car breaking is no different than a water pipe in your house bursting, or your refrigerator crapping out. We all have to deal with these types of problems and sometimes crap out money that we "don't have" in order to fix something we'd rather not pay to fix. THAT'S LIFE!

Old 03-10-2018, 10:56 AM

1,875 posts, read 2,235,559 times
The way I see it: A car cannot "nickel and dime you." Sure it can be a money-pit with persistent unforeseen issues, but "nickel and diming" implies a dishonest haggle, if you will. A dishonest salesperson or mechanic can nickel and dime you, but not a car.

Old 03-10-2018, 10:58 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,164,508 times
Quote:
I'm not holding being broke against poor people, although I make no excuses for them, if you're poor it's because of the decisions you've made in life and your inability/unwillingness to change things.

I'm more against people who want things both ways, they DON'T want to spend more money and buy a nicer car, and they ALSO don't want to spend money on their POS to keep it on the road. Sorry folks, you can't have it all! Expecting any different is only setting yourself up for disappointment.

Expecting me to feel sorry for folks who can't afford to fix their cars, or that ignore problems to save money and things end up costing them more in the long run is laughable. TAKE SOME RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR LIVES, PEOPLE!!! If you can't afford something IT'S YOUR OWN DAMN FAULT!!! Suck it up and deal with it like everybody else, I'm sick of listening to their complaining!

Your car breaking is no different than a water pipe in your house bursting, or your refrigerator crapping out. We all have to deal with these types of problems and sometimes crap out money that we "don't have" in order to fix something we'd rather not pay to fix. THAT'S LIFE!
So, if a car radio craps out, they should fix it immediately?
Or if the air conditioner breaks they should stop taking meds and fix it immediately?

And not just a cheap fix that a mechanic says they can get away with, just replace the whole damn thing?

Instead of buying that POS they can barely afford (to get them back and forth to their minimum wage job), they should have bought that new BMW with the 4 year 50,000 Mile warranty?

I see, it's really all because they were stupid enough to get sick, or divorced, or have a kid with autism and special (expensive needs), or to have been given a poor education... this is really why they do not have the money for a better car - idiots!

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 03-10-2018 at 11:07 AM..

Old 03-10-2018, 11:11 AM

18,548 posts, read 15,586,958 times
Quote:
I say that's pure BS.

Either they bought a POS beater that was already falling apart and neglected, which what else would you expect? Or they bought nicer vehicle from the get go and ignored it the entire time they owned it, and now that it's getting some age on it, things are starting to break, and they're peeved they have to spend ANY money on it, other than for fuel.

Does it suck when your car breaks? Of course, especially if money is tight. But you can't expect a vehicle to NEVER need repairs or to NEVER break, you're just setting yourself up for disappointment at that point. And to delude yourself into thinking "I'll just get a different car and it won't need anything" is an exercise in perpetual frustration. You'll dump time, money and effort into trying to find something that just doesn't exist.

Same goes for people who, when their vehicle breaks, they want the cheapest possible fix that's out there, even if it's only temporary. They'd rather cheap out and spend MORE time and money trying to save a buck than if they'd just fix it right the first time and be done with it. I swear some people are so short sighted that they can't see past "right now", either that or they like creating more work for themselves. Personally, I don't.

So I say anyone who complains that a vehicle "nickel and dimed them to death" either brought it on themselves via neglecting their vehicle, or they had unreasonable expectations of the vehicle that they own (ex. bought a $700 beater and then whine that "it needs x,y,z" or "things are always breaking"). WELL DUH!!! People don't sell a car cheap for NO reason, likely they also neglected it and now the cost of repairs exceed the value of the car, so they're "cutting their losses" and getting rid of it.

What do you guys think?
My favorite is when people get so upset over spending $500 - $1000 per year on non-maintenance repairs, that their "solution" is to buy a brand new car that loses $4000 in value the moment they drive it off the lot and continues to lose $1500+ per year for the next several years. Guess that old jalopy wasn't so bad, eh?

Old 03-10-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
So, if a car radio craps out, they should fix it immediately?
Or if the air conditioner breaks they should stop taking meds and fix it immediately?

And not just a cheap fix that a mechanic says they can get away with, just replace the whole damn thing?

Instead of buying that POS they can barely afford (to get them back and forth to their minimum wage job), they should have bought that new BMW with the 4 year 50,000 Mile warranty?

I see, it's really all because they were stupid enough to get sick, or divorced, or have a kid with autism and special (expensive needs), or to have been given a poor education... this is really why they do not have the money for a better car - idiots!

You seem interested in keeping poor people poor. I want people to take responsibility for their lives and to work hard to NOT BE POOR! Being poor is a mindset, it's your attitude in life that determines whether you are successful or not, don't try to blame it on anything else.

If you see yourself as a victim YOU WILL ALWAYS BE A VICTIM!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive