Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 09:05 AM

1,166 posts, read 868,330 times

Advertisements

I say that's pure BS.

Either they bought a POS beater that was already falling apart and neglected, which what else would you expect? Or they bought nicer vehicle from the get go and ignored it the entire time they owned it, and now that it's getting some age on it, things are starting to break, and they're peeved they have to spend ANY money on it, other than for fuel.

Does it suck when your car breaks? Of course, especially if money is tight. But you can't expect a vehicle to NEVER need repairs or to NEVER break, you're just setting yourself up for disappointment at that point. And to delude yourself into thinking "I'll just get a different car and it won't need anything" is an exercise in perpetual frustration. You'll dump time, money and effort into trying to find something that just doesn't exist.

Same goes for people who, when their vehicle breaks, they want the cheapest possible fix that's out there, even if it's only temporary. They'd rather cheap out and spend MORE time and money trying to save a buck than if they'd just fix it right the first time and be done with it. I swear some people are so short sighted that they can't see past "right now", either that or they like creating more work for themselves. Personally, I don't.

So I say anyone who complains that a vehicle "nickel and dimed them to death" either brought it on themselves via neglecting their vehicle, or they had unreasonable expectations of the vehicle that they own (ex. bought a $700 beater and then whine that "it needs x,y,z" or "things are always breaking"). WELL DUH!!! People don't sell a car cheap for NO reason, likely they also neglected it and now the cost of repairs exceed the value of the car, so they're "cutting their losses" and getting rid of it.

What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2018, 09:09 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,096,512 times
I'm not sure who you are scolding - or why.

Cars that reach a certain age start having troubles. They could have been great for 100K miles and very will maintained.

But multiple parts and systems will start to fail usually all around the same time/mileage.

Repairing one system may cause another to break and sometimes there is nothing that can prevent that. It is not always a matter of not performing required maintenance. Sometimes a car will nickel and dime someone to death - especially if they cannot or do not do the repairs themselves. The only thing you said that is true is that people should expect things to start going wrong at some point, but does that mean it is not a financial burden? No. What is the point of this thread again?

And some people go the "cheapest repair" route because they do not intend to keep the vehicle or cannot afford the more costly and thorough repair. Sometimes they need to pay the rent or feed the child.

You sound like a car mechanic who was just recently told: "no, I don't want the entire engine rebuilt. Yes, I know it has 250K miles on it, but just get it running again - for cheap please" Is that the problem here?

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 03-10-2018 at 09:46 AM..

Old 03-10-2018, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
What is the point of this thread again?

The point of this thread is a "wake up call" for people who think a car won't cost them money in repairs over the course of it's life. Either you buy new vehicles that are still covered under factory warranty, and pay a monthly car payment, or you buy used, older vehicles that are not under warranty and have to fork over the money for repairs. Either way you are still spending money, the idea that a car will NEVER cost you money or break down or inconvenience you is ludicrous.

And people in pursuit of finding that "car that never breaks" are merely committing a fools errand!

I've said it here before, a car is not an investment (at least your daily driver isn't), it's an ongoing EXPENSE that you'll never recoup what you've put into it, between the interest on the payments, the full coverage insurance needed for a financed car, and all the other expenses that go along with owning a vehicle. I find the notion laughable at best, straight up ignorance at worst.

Old 03-10-2018, 09:27 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,015,988 times
Must be hard being so much smarter than everyone else.

Old 03-10-2018, 09:30 AM

Quote:

You sound like a car mechanic who was just recently told: "no, I don't want the entire engine rebuilt. Yes, I know it has 250K miles on it, but just get it running again - for cheap please" Is that the problem here?

If that was a topic of discussion on here, it wasn't one I was part of. You sound like someone who understands very little about the inner workings of a car. Sometimes (more often than not, in fact) there is no "cheap, quick fix" for a problem.

Pouring Lucas oil treatment (or something similar) in an engine that is knocking is not "fixing" the problem, nor would I do that with a customers car, as that's not a professional repair. You want a quick "fix" like that, run down the the parts store, buy it yourself and pour it in yourself. When you bring your car to a shop, they're going to recommend a proper repair, both to make their customer happy and also to protect their reputation!

Cheap, fast and good, pick any two! You can't have it all!

Old 03-10-2018, 09:32 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,096,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Hmmm, OK, then. Now I understand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
If that was a topic of discussion on here, it wasn't one I was part of. You sound like someone who understands very little about the inner workings of a car. Sometimes (more often than not, in fact) there is no "cheap, quick fix" for a problem.

Pouring Lucas oil treatment (or something similar) in an engine that is knocking is not "fixing" the problem, nor would I do that with a customers car, as that's not a professional repair. You want a quick "fix" like that, run down the the parts store, buy it yourself and pour it in yourself. When you bring your car to a shop, they're going to recommend a proper repair, both to make their customer happy and also to protect their reputation!

Cheap, fast and good, pick any two! You can't have it all!
Sorry I interrupted your lecture. Please continue to enlighten all of us who know nothing about cars.

Old 03-10-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Hmmm, OK, then. Now I understand.

What's not to understand? Just as in life, with car repair there isn't always a "cheap, quick fix" or "shortcut" for every problem. And people believing that there is (eg. I'll just dump this bottle of X in my gas tank and it'll fix everything) is both frustrating and they're setting themselves up for disappointment when reality slaps them in the face.

Old 03-10-2018, 09:51 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,675,740 times
You should go on world tour. That's some great insight

Old 03-10-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
You should go on world tour. That's some great insight

I understand that you guys don't like my attitude, which is fine, but explain what you disagree with in my OP. Is that not why we are on a forum? To discuss things? Cleverly (or not so, in your case) insulting people while ALSO refuting/discussing their ideas is the real point, right?

Instead of just calling me a "know it all" why don't you say "you think you know everything but you're wrong because x,y,z" ? I've pleaded my case, what's yours?

Old 03-10-2018, 10:07 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,015,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
I understand that you guys don't like my attitude, which is fine, but explain what you disagree with in my OP. Is that not why we are on a forum? To discuss things? Cleverly (or not so, in your case) insulting people while ALSO refuting/discussing their ideas is the real point, right?

Instead of just calling me a "know it all" why don't you say "you think you know everything but you're wrong because x,y,z" ? I've pleaded my case, what's yours?
Yes, a pro fix is better than a cheap fix.
Healthy food is better than junk food.
Morton's used better beef than McDonald's.
and so on

Why the need for multiple identical threads foaming at the mouth about people who sometimes may choose a quick fix? You basically just insult these strangers in all your threads...you don't know why they're choosing it in that moment. People can't/don't always make the most efficient choice at every moment of every day.

Last edited by elhelmete; 03-10-2018 at 10:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive