Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 07:43 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,533,813 times

Advertisements

So This has really been bothering me here and I know it shouldn't. My nephew went into the Marines last year he's 19 and has one other car an Acura RSX and before you rag on me too hard I understand he's an adult and can make his own decisions.

He went a bought a used 2012 Mustang Boss 302. I've seen to many younger people get a car like this only to end up paralyzed or worse and I hate to see this kid end up hurt or worse. The car makes 444 Hp compared to the 160 that his RSX made. I get wanting a hot car when I was younger even now I get it at my age, but isn't this a bit much for a 19 year old?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2018, 07:49 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,411,688 times
Your post is very confusing. Are you saying he has an Acura AND the Mustang?

Old 03-11-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Your post is very confusing. Are you saying he has an Acura AND the Mustang?

Sorry my coffee hasn't kicked in yet.

He HAD an Acura RXS at one time.

Old 03-11-2018, 08:03 AM

4,554 posts, read 3,752,342 times
It's not a big deal if he is a very responsible 19 y/o. Of course, these days that can be argued that percentage seems low among teenagers.

Your question on this forum will be very biased - you know everyone here likes to drive econoboxes, never take out a loan and frowns on fun to drive/high-maintenance cost cars

Old 03-11-2018, 08:15 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,411,688 times
I had a fast car in high school. I won't pretend that I didn't occasionally let it rip. But for the most part you just drive the same speed as other cars. There is no law that says you can't get to the 45 MPH speed limit faster than the guy next to you. That's what most of us did, took advantage of the horsepower to get going quickly, not to drive 150 MPH.

Old 03-11-2018, 08:16 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,428,879 times
Young and old people have liked fast cars since the beginning of time. I trust he is a responsible driver.

Old 03-11-2018, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
It's not a big deal if he is a very responsible 19 y/o. Of course, these days that can be argued that percentage seems low among teenagers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Young and old people have liked fast cars since the beginning of time. I trust he is a responsible driver.

There was ONE issues he had I think he was driving something like 70 in a 35 zone and when a cop tried to pull him over he panicked and tried to out run the cop. Some thing like the version of the Mustang he bought isn't a toy I can see him buying something like a V6 Mustang or Camaro. This is a WHOLE new level of car.

Old 03-11-2018, 08:40 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
He's in the Marines. They will teach him some responsibility. He won't be burning rubber while on the base and if there are complaints about his driving made to the base commander, he won't do it again.

Unfortunately, a percentage of children don't make it into adulthood. Parents can try to put a good foundation onto a kid, but for a few years there, luck seems to have a lot to do with survival.

It's pretty common for a young man's identity to be wrapped up in his car. I wouldn't be surprised if he believes that male stupidity that a sexy car is what gets the babes.

I'd be more worried about his financial lack of good sense.

Old 03-11-2018, 09:30 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,147,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
So This has really been bothering me here and I know it shouldn't.

He went a bought a used 2012 Mustang Boss 302. I've seen to many younger people get a car like this only to end up paralyzed or worse and I hate to see this kid end up hurt or worse. The car makes 444 Hp compared to the 160 that his RSX made. I get wanting a hot car when I was younger even now I get it at my age, but isn't this a bit much for a 19 year old?
...and? You're right, in a sense, but it can't be helped. Of course it bothers you, you're probably a thoughtful person and are concerned about family.

I was a mad biker, no car guy, from age 16-on. I had a Kawasaki GpZ 550 when I was 19, (almost) the 600cc bike of it's day, if you know much about bikes. Most young, dumb squid boy stunters start on 600s due to the relative affordability. I paid little for it, and learned to ride on that thing. I wasn't super wise, but smart enough to stay alive. My dad didn't like it, but taught me well enough (about life in-general) and knew I had to live my own life. Sure enough, I never crashed. I don't think I even had more than a very minor spill. Lucky me, I have talent, and a little luck, and lot of self-preservation instinct. Pretty much exactly ten years later I was winning a few trophies in 750 Production class at one of the biggest amateur organizations in northern California, roadracing. I messed up a few times, but learned from my errors on that first bike. Which lead to greater things.

Maybe the nephew will, too.

At some point, kids have to be let go to live, I do believe. I'm not a dad and easier said than done, but I watched my best friend do this with his daughter first, then this son, past five years. The former married at 20, which was pretty tough (and IMO pretty dumb, but then again to the point: not my concern). The latter was a solid kid from the get-go, and his dad bought him a very well-used BMW 530 for tooling around college, and taught him how to do repairs. No Boss 302, that, but still a nifty car and rather quick. He's fine. He'll fall on his butt a few times, too. I'm trying to get him a job in construction management to keep him out of trouble down San Luis Obispo way once he graduates Cal Poly in 2 years

Old 03-11-2018, 09:55 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,521,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
but isn't this a bit much for a 19 year old?
Might be intoday's world where everyone is a victim without responsibility

Back in the 70's I was running in ARCA @ 19 no issues even with the LEO's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive