Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you actively scan every intersection before entering?
Yes 109 93.97%
No 5 4.31%
Not really sure. 2 1.72%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 10:02 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
What is the difference between a car running a red light when you are going through the green at speed, or if you are just starting out when it changes? Why do you need to be diligent about one and not the other?
What I am speaking of is scanning with your eyes left and right as you approach each intersection - while still moving at speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
There is no difference, you don't have to stop to look both ways, you just have to be ready to stop should you have to.
Unfortunately, I have seen that there are MANY people who cannot seem to get the hang of looking left and right without stopping. I see it all the time at yield signs where people get into the middle of the turn, stop and only then look for other cars and then go - there could be no cars within a mile and they still do this.

It seems that until they are stopped, they never had a thought to or ability to turn their heads; looking as they approach never enters their head. For some people, I am not sure if it is possible for them to overcome this bad habit.

Sadly, the same thing happens at roundabouts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2018, 10:28 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,078,593 times
Absolutely. Seems that orange lights these days doesn't mean slow down, it means speed up so I can beat the light.

Factor in that and the abundance of distracted driving and you'd be insane to not scan.

But this is what we get when driving is seen as a right instead of a privilege. Then again, not having a license doesn't stop people from driving anyway.

Old 03-15-2018, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
Absolutely. Seems that orange lights these days doesn't mean slow down, it means speed up so I can beat the light.

Factor in that and the abundance of distracted driving and you'd be insane to not scan.

But this is what we get when driving is seen as a right instead of a privilege. Then again, not having a license doesn't stop people from driving anyway.
While I absolutely agree with you. In this case the light - for the guy who ran it - wasn't yellow, orange or any other color than solid red. I watched as he went straight trough the intersection, not distracted as far as I could see, head straight ahead and no sun in his eyes. He just blew it.

As I think more about it, it seems maybe it was an old age related issue - I hope not, because if that is the case, sooner or later he will hit someone.

Old 03-15-2018, 12:17 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,425,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Do you consistently and conscientiously scan (left and right) every intersection as you are driving - before you enter it?

Today, I was second in line waiting to turn left. The light turned green and the car in front of me started moving. I looked right and could see a pickup heading for the intersection with absolutely no intention of stopping. He was definitely on a collision course with the guy in front of me.

I stopped and layed on my horn.

After about what seemed like two seconds another vehicle (I couldn't tell which) started laying on his horn too.

Finally, the guy ahead of me stopped. The person who ran the solidly red light kept right on going, never slowed, never noticed that he had ran a red, and didn't see the truck he was about to hit.
Yes, if I am approaching an intersection that is green I scan both sides to be sure there are vehicles stopped there and if not that the one approaching is slowing down. If proceeding after a light turn green, I wait to make sure that the approaching vehicle is going to stop. All too many people blast through red lights, even lights that have been red a good deal of time. I once went through an intersection where my car was first, the next came through and the third was hit broadside by a red light runner who wasn't paying attention.

Old 03-15-2018, 12:17 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Not only I scan, but also have my foot ready to hit the breaks. Red lights and driving rules means nothing to many....

Me too!

Old 03-15-2018, 12:32 PM

19,013 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Not only I scan, but also have my foot ready to hit the breaks. Red lights and driving rules means nothing to many....

Same here. Saved my life on few occasions.
Also, should I be the first in line when red changes, I take extra caution to scan for cross-traffic to stop. They can honk behind me.
Should I be in multilane intersection in same situation, I'll stall to let someone else to go in first. Selfish but..
Also, pulling into a street and seeing oncoming vehicle with R blinker on, I wait till he actually DOES turn.

Old 03-15-2018, 01:47 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Who doesn't scan?

Old 03-15-2018, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Who doesn't scan?
A whole bunch of people who hit others; and if I understood correctly, at least one poster in this thread.

Old 03-15-2018, 03:01 PM

11,758 posts, read 14,644,267 times
I worry about what to do if I'm not the first person in line. I'm always concerned that if I lay on the horn it will startle the driver in front of me to go ahead and potentially get hit.

Old 03-15-2018, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I worry about what to do if I'm not the first person in line. I'm always concerned that if I lay on the horn it will startle the driver in front of me to go ahead and potentially get hit.
I used to think this too. But I ultimately decided that even if they get mad, or annoyed, it should at least jolt them out of their inattention (after all if I can see them about to get creamed, they should have been too) - and cause them to look around to see who is beeping and why.

I hope too that the driver about to go through the red will also hear the horn and wonder - what's up.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 03-15-2018 at 04:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive